g_star_raw_1989
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by WhatsHisFace)

You do realize that those people probably disagree with the laws... right?

There was a time when if you were a black slave fugitive in the states, that the state could arrest you and return you to your owner. But I guess don't be black in the 1700's if you can't do the time, right?
An even more contemporary example is that upto 1991 in the UK, marital rape was not a criminal offence. Its disappointing that people just accept the law as being right without questioning it at all.
Vonlenska
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm quite hypocritical, really...

I smoke marijuana occasionally with my girlfriend, but it's quite rare. Once every three months or so we'll get high. I'd say that legalising marijuana would probably yield more benefits in terms of taxation and tourism than any problems it may cause, such as a possible strain on the NHS.

However, I wouldn't vindicate the legalisation of highly addictive substances such as cocaine or heroine, simply because they have a higher chance of entirely consuming people's lives, making them a burden on the state.
n00
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Helmi)
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
Yeah **** the cancer and MS suffers and **** Alan Turing.
Helmi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hahah I'm not even gonna bother to continue this discussion if you can't have it in a proper manner. Cursing doesn't help anyone. And as I recall it, I did mention the whole cancer/MS issue.

I do realise that people don't agree with the laws but they're there. All I'm saying is that if you're gonna be involved in something illegal and you're fully aware that it is illegal then when you get caught you have no one else to blame but yourself. And as for the slaves.. This is not 1700's this is 2012. This is how things are for now, maybe they will change in the future.

I'm fully aware of the fact that weed is not that dangerous and all that and I'm quite neutral about legalizing it.
WhatsHisFace
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Helmi)
Hahah I'm not even gonna bother to continue this discussion if you can't have it in a proper manner. Cursing doesn't help anyone. And as I recall it, I did mention the whole cancer/MS issue.

I do realise that people don't agree with the laws but they're there. All I'm saying is that if you're gonna be involved in something illegal and you're fully aware that it is illegal then when you get caught you have no one else to blame but yourself. And as for the slaves.. This is not 1700's this is 2012. This is how things are for now, maybe they will change in the future.

I'm fully aware of the fact that weed is not that dangerous and all that and I'm quite neutral about legalizing it.
Oh my god... So you can't understand, WHY someone who would be for legalization, would disagree with the current laws? Just saying this is 2012 and that was the 1700's means nothing. A black man in that time would disagree with the laws the same way someone who uses drugs would disagree with their laws. Just saying it's two different time periods does nothing but say " Your argument makes sense but I'm going to ignore it and hope you do as well". The level of narrow- mindedness here is appalling.

All your argument boils down to is the law is the law because I say so. If you can't realize that, or provide evidence to show why it should remain the law, aka debate, maybe the debate forum isn't for you.
n00
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Helmi)
I did mention the whole cancer/MS issue.
And yet you still expect them to happily accept criminal sanctions.
teh_niarr
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I said before that if you get the chance, you should see Prof. Nutt speak. He's coming to an event in London next Tuesday, the Facebook page is here if anyone wants to check it out: https://www.facebook.com/events/271724966265489/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (17)
7.17%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.55%
I don't think they'd understand (40)
16.88%
It might lead to more bullying (84)
35.44%
There's nothing they could do (71)
29.96%

Watched Threads

Latest