Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anti-Americanism watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    Calling people fat everyday isn't news. If it is, then the 7 year old kids in the sandbox insulting each other are world-class newscasters.
    Hyperbole. Find me 7 news articles from the past 7 days which accuse the US of being a nation of lards.

When does it stop being news and just become the reenforcement of negative stereotypes? This endless barrage of obesity stories never brings forth any new information. Most of the time it's just a rehash of the same "stories"
    The US, as the world's global superpower, is inevitably going to attract a lot of media attention. IS it any surprise that the EU and the USA get more attention than Australia and South America from the BBC?!

You are, collectively, all interested in hearing Americans being called fat everyday. Things are really that simple.
    Without providing ample evidence that there is news saturation of these stories over a long period of time, this claim simply doesn't stand up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Do you watch the BBC regularly?

Also - I think as an American you may be quick to find offence. Its human nature. I am neither American, or really British. As such I dont have any prefernce either way.

However, I take it that in the US you dont watch BBC news nearly as much as myself. I think you would have to do so to have a real basis to comment on bias.
    I can't watch it when I'm not traveling. I think I get something called "BBC America" but I have 100s of stations and have only seen it briefly. I spend a lot of time looking at their website, but I try to limit my time to less than 20 minutes a day so my blood pressure doesn't rise to unhealthy levels. I've recently read this in the news:

BBC World inks first US carriage agreement

Monday, April 10 2006, 17:46 BST - by James Welsh
    BBC World has signed its first carriage agreement with a US cable operator.

Cablevision, which serves households in Connecticut, New Jersey and New York, will add the global news channel to its "iO" digital cable lineup later this month.
    I guess it will happen any day now. I'm not sure how they are going to manage televising it with no commericals. BBC America has commercials to support the cost of broadcasting here. If there are no commercials, are you going to help this coercively-funded organization broadcast in the US? If so, I guess I should be more motivated to tune in. I'd hate to see your tax money go to waste....well, even more so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    Hyperbole. Find me 7 news articles from the past 7 days which accuse the US of being a nation of lards.
    It was a bit of hyperbole, but the fact that you siad "7 days" and not a few months speaks volumes. There is always subtle (or not-so-subtle) cheap shot in stories about the US. It doesn't have to be about obesity. Obesity is one of many stereotypes europeans have of Americans and the vast majority of these stereotypes are very unflattering. We are portrayed as being arrogant, insistant on always being right, moralizing, fanatically religious, ignorant of international affairs, willing to reach for a gun and shoot first-ask questions later, naive, having no history, greed driven, nationalistic, polluting, and, everyone's favorite, hypocritical.

It's not just being called fat. The "obesity card" is the BBC's favorite, but they find other ways to perpetuate these negative stereotypes in their reporting and I blame them for anti-americanism. This is one war we are losing...we don't know how to fight the propaganda war and it's doing the US a lot of harm.

The US, as the world's global superpower, is inevitably going to attract a lot of media attention. IS it any surprise that the EU and the USA get more attention than Australia and South America from the BBC?!
    I am not saying the attention is unwarranted or that things going on in the US are not significant or newsworthy. I just think they are perpetuating national stereotypes as a substitute for serious ongoing reporting.

Without providing ample evidence that there is news saturation of these stories over a long period of time, this claim simply doesn't stand up.
    I provided links to 3 websites that document the BBC's bias. One of them is aptly named Biased BBC

I'm am starting to doubt that any evidence will ever be good enough for someone that isn't American. When we read their website, the anti-americanism is about as subtle as a shovel to the head. I'm a bit confounded by how you can't see it. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    It was a bit of hyperbole, but the fact that you siad "7 days" and not a few months speaks volumes. There is always subtle (or not-so-subtle) cheap shot in stories about the US. It doesn't have to be about obesity. Obesity is one of many stereotypes europeans have of Americans and the vast majority of these stereotypes are very unflattering. We are portrayed as being arrogant, insistant on always being right, moralizing, fanatically religious, ignorant of international affairs, willing to reach for a gun and shoot first-ask questions later, naive, having no history, greed driven, nationalistic, polluting, and, everyone's favorite, hypocritical.
    I said 7 days to make your work easier.
    Find me 30 articles over 30 days if you prefer...
    Your government is accused of these things, not you. Get a grip.

I am not saying the attention is unwarranted or that things going on in the US are not significant or newsworthy. I just think they are perpetuating national stereotypes as a substitute for serious ongoing reporting.
    Obesity IS a problem in the US.
    Any other news stories you'd take issue with?

I provided links to 3 websites that document the BBC's bias. One of them is aptly named Biased BBC
    I could find hundreds, if not thousands, of blogs claiming to prove that 9/11 did not happen as the government says they did.
    Does this mean 9/11 did not happen?

I'm am starting to doubt that any evidence will ever be good enough for someone that isn't American. When we read their website, the anti-americanism is about as subtle as a shovel to the head. I'm a bit confounded by how you can't see it. :confused:
    Similarly, I am confounded as to how you can see it.

ReputationRep:
    "The BBC viewers are going to be left with the impression that only evangelical christians live here and no one else. "

Well, besides the lard asses. That's it....right wing fundies and lard asses. That's pretty much the impression the BBC would give of America if you had never been there.

I think the real question is...does the BBC or any other non-US based media.... is it a major influence in anti americanism around the world? If Fox, CNN, and MSNBC ran mostly negative news about the UK and the people who live there, what would you expect americans to think?

Honestly, i've been to 18 other countries, and known that the rest of the world, for the most part, has always disliked America. I can accept that, but part of the problem is, if they only know the bad things about America, why would they want to accept that there might be good things about it? Especially when the media around them has never given that impression, whether it's the UK or Sryria.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I intentionally said that because people always compare the religious right in America to these lunatics in the middle east that decapitate children. Fanatically religious Muslims and Evangelical Christians are not the same. Sorry if saying that offends people.
    Stop twisting words. You said Islam does not teach the difference between right and wrong. You then talk about decapitating children. I would remind you that America has an appaling record of executing child offenders. Not that that is relevant anyway - I was simply pointing out that by extending the actions of a few to over a billion, you are being hypocritical, given the post you wrote.

ReputationRep:
    Who knows American culture better than the people that live here? It's nothing like the crock you are being sold in your media, but how would you know better?
    America is a huge country, with 300 million people in it. You know a tiny fraction of American culture. Besides, as other people point out, it is human nature for you to rationalise about America's failings, because you are a part of it! If the BBC says it is shocking 1 in 3 adult Americans are obese, that America is by far the largest contributor to global warming but buries its head in the sand, etc etc, maybe you should think about the points being raised rather than just instinctively shrug them off as biased foreign media. I don't claim to be able to recognise mine or the UK's faults well after all!

ReputationRep:
    "maybe you should think about the points being raised"

But if the points be raised are only concerning the US, and no other examples are being promenently shown, then what does that tell you? Does the BBC ever compare US levels of air pollution on the ground to China or India? No, of coarse not. That would add balance to the picture.

Let's face it , ALL media is biased, and the BBC is no exception.

But that's not really part of this discussion anyway. The real point of this discussion was to debate if anti americanism was bigotry, or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djchak)
    "The BBC viewers are going to be left with the impression that only evangelical christians live here and no one else. "

Well, besides the lard asses. That's it....right wing fundies and lard asses. That's pretty much the impression the BBC would give of America if you had never been there.
    No intelligent person thinks that.
    Whilst opinion is generally hostile towards the Bush administration (but then the American people are divided!) but Americans themselves have a good reputation.
    Yes you have a reputation of being a CONVENIENCE nation and this extends to your food as well - all save a few fast food chains in the UK are American. Those in the South also have a reputation for being fiercely (often stupidly) religious and gun toting.
    But your cities also have the reputation of being very cosmopolitan and your people super friendly! You are also privileged to have some of the most fantastic scenary in the world.

This is the impression I ave of the USA and most intelligent people that I know. Sure there is a bit of banter but then the French are a nation of cheesy (food,smell and romance) snail-eating amphibians with less resistance than a plastic shatter-proof ruler. And I'm half French.

This is a storm in a teacup.

ReputationRep:
    Similarly, I am confounded as to how you can see it.
    So you don't see any flaws in the reporting of US news? I'd be the first to admit that US media has an anti-french bias.

(Original post by djchak)
    But that's not really part of this discussion anyway. The real point of this discussion was to debate if anti americanism was bigotry, or not.
    I think the media is relevant because it shapes public opinion. In America, for example, our press has a pro-british, anti-french bias. Americans like Brits and don't like French people, but british and french attitudes towards us are not really that much different.

ReputationRep:
    british and french attitudes towards us are not really that much different.
    Dude. That is really not true.

How often you come to the UK? I assure you the French hate you far more. But then they hate everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Was that post ironic Lawz?

ReputationRep:
    Was that post ironic Lawz?
    Heh ... no not at all... the French are FAR more anti-Ameircan than the Brits... the Brits as a whole dont dislike Americans. My Fiancee is an American and has lived here for 7 years now. Never had ANY problems and her accent is a very strong one.

ReputationRep:
    Successive French governments have had excellent relations with so many countries, to claim they hate the world must have been tongue-in-cheek.

The French have a language barrier so they are slughtly more bemused. The French and the Americans, despite their well documented differences, are actually very similar (both historically and today).

ReputationRep:
    Successive French governments have had excellent relations with so many countries, to claim they hate the world must have been tongue-in-cheek.

The French have a language barrier so they are slughtly more bemused. The French and the Americans, despite their well documented differences, are actually very similar (both historically and today).
    I meant the people rather than the government.

You dont see the French kidnapping Americans or anything so hate is a bit excessive - but relative to other western democracies they have a great deal of animosity to the US. Probably a lot to do with an inferiority complex...

ReputationRep:
    Hhaaha. OK. Now you're winding me up... :p:

(Original post by Lawz-)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4881474.stm

Really is sad that people would abuse people simply based on nationality...

Why is it so VOGUE to be anti-american?
    did you read some of the comments left? most of which said they hadn't really suffered much in way of abuse, but one made me laugh with agreeance...

"Hatred against Americans is not rife here. I've worked with and know personally many Americans and I know them to be charming, courteous people. I've heard no complaints from them, but then they've been here longer than Christian Cox and aren't trying to attract attention for their new business.
    "

(Original post by Lawz-)
    I meant the people rather than the government.

You dont see the French kidnapping Americans or anything so hate is a bit excessive - but relative to other western democracies they have a great deal of animosity to the US. Probably a lot to do with an inferiority complex...
    o certainly the french have a real superiority complex, and p*** me off regulary.
    Its the whole communism and strikig thing. gets really on my tits. and then the RMT is piping up with the same here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Dude. That is really not true.

How often you come to the UK? I assure you the French hate you far more. But then they hate everyone.
    Oh, sure, the level of hatred is much more intense in France, but that doesn't change the fact that we are hated in both France and the UK.

ReputationRep:
    We're just jealous. You'll get over it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2008
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.