Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camaieu)
    That was awful. Just awful. Not helped by the fact that others said it "wasn't too bad". :cry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :console: Do your best to avoid post-mortems. And try and use this disappointment to generate some useful motivation for the remaining revision you need to do. Its useless making comparisons, but during my finals I had a horrific paper, and I was so upset about it that I became twice as anxious to do well in the very last paper remaining. I worked so hard for that one I ended up with a good first in it.
    You probably haven't done anything like as bad as you feel, and you have to remember that its out of your hands now, and that feeling bad only inhibits your ability to perform optimally in the time you have left.

(Original post by Rob da Mop)
    That's what everyone says every year, but nobody ever really manages it. Too much fun to be had
    That's not true.

ReputationRep:

An alternative take on exam advice
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Tomorrow.

There are not enough expletives to describe how I'm feeling atm. (yes, I know, this post is contrary to the video above )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ratio)
    Tomorrow.

There are not enough expletives to describe how I'm feeling atm. (yes, I know, this post is contrary to the video above )
    :console: I know the feeling. But then that's another one down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ratio)
    Tomorrow.

Ditto. I can't eat today, worried about tomorrow morning. And just got an email with the subject "48 hours remaining!" ARGH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Topaz_eyes)
    Ditto. I can't eat today, worried about tomorrow morning. And just got an email with the subject "48 hours remaining!" ARGH.
    :lolwut: How is that helpful? Some colleges are ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    :lolwut: How is that helpful? Some colleges are ridiculous.
    Oh, it wasn't from my college. It was a random one with "48 hours remaining! To get 20% off!" or whatever. Just made my heart skip a beat... (and it's <24 hours remaining now, anyway )

ReputationRep:
    Oh, it wasn't from my college. It was a random one with "48 hours remaining! To get 20% off!" or whatever. Just made my heart skip a beat... (and it's <24 hours remaining now, anyway )
    Lol! Good luck. Is this the last one?

ReputationRep:
    Lol! Good luck. Is this the last one?
    Nope, first two are tomorrow. I have seven, finishing on Saturday.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, first two are tomorrow. I have seven, finishing on Saturday.
    :pinch:

ReputationRep:
    Spanish translation was...bearable. Even if one of them dealt with the "ordeal" of providing urine and faecal samples... :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Spanish translation was...bearable. Even if one of them dealt with the "ordeal" of providing urine and faecal samples... :lolwut:
    prsom

ReputationRep:
    Nice.

On "Overheard at Cambridge", someone posted an excerpt from an examiner's report in which he complained that most candidates were unable to recognise "genitals" (presumably in the context of a translation). Clearly he felt that "bodily functions" was the logical next step! :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    :console: I know the feeling. But then that's another one down
    That was a baptism of fire but, as you say, one down.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Micro was horrendous. Wasted thirty minutes on an algebra question which I (and the three others I talked to afterwards, all much better mathematicians) simply couldn't get past halfway through part (a).

And the rest of the paper was pretty grim too. (I don't think it was just me.) But still - horrible, horrible, horrible. Don't even want to think about the possibility of not getting a 2.i because of it...

ReputationRep:
    Nice.
    Yeah, it was pretty grim. It was recounted in a pretty humorous way, which pretty much gave me free rein to be kooky and a bit eccentric. Dramatize the whole experience and that. :P

(Original post by Tortious)
    On "Overheard at Cambridge", someone posted an excerpt from an examiner's report in which he complained that most candidates were unable to recognise "genitals" (presumably in the context of a translation). Clearly he felt that "bodily functions" was the logical next step! :p:
    Some of the examiner's reports are absolutely brilliant. They once described some translations as being "surrealist exercises in incomprehensability". :lol:

(Original post by ratio)
    That was a baptism of fire but, as you say, one down.

(Original post by lp386)
    Micro was horrendous. Wasted thirty minutes on an algebra question which I (and the three others I talked to afterwards, all much better mathematicians) simply couldn't get past halfway through part (a).

And the rest of the paper was pretty grim too. (I don't think it was just me.) But still - horrible, horrible, horrible. Don't even want to think about the possibility of not getting a 2.i because of it...
    :console: :console:

ReputationRep:
    So it has come to the stage that everyone else is further advanced in their dissertations than you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    So it has come to the stage that everyone else is further advanced in their dissertations than you are.
    An unusual experience for you I am sure :p:

ReputationRep:
    An unusual experience for you I am sure :p:
    Given I've only ever done one dissertation before in my life, yes it's unusual.

In my defence, my project is rather strange compared to others in that it's entirely mathematical and devoid of any programming or experimentation. Hence while everyone else has something pretty to show, I only have a bunch of scribbles and notes which now I have to synthesise into a coherent dissertation.It doesn't make it less worrying though.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.