Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

£10 MILLION publically funded funeral for Thatcher?!?!!??! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Most of the polls I have seen have been very divided, and I think it's wrong to spend so much public money and to try and create the false image of a nation united and in mourning when that clearly isn't the case.
    Good for you, but the majority do not agree and see a benefit in the funeral being held so publicly. Your views are no more valid than mine, so we have to go with majority opinion.

ReputationRep:
    When the Queen dies the funeral will cost much more. Will there be the same opposition?

With Thatcher's funeral I keep hearing 'she's not royalty' being used as a reason why she shouldn't have had a state funeral (I know technically it wasn't a state funeral).

In a society where we are constantly trying to improve equality why should the fact that Thatcher wasn't royalty stop her from having a lavish funeral. The fact is she did an awful lot of good for the country and was the greatest leader we have had. She is far more deserving of a ceremonial funeral than the Queen Mother or Diana, who because of marriage were deemed extraordinary. Thatcher was an extraordinary women through merit.

In a civilised modern society there is no place for royalty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattKneale)
    Good for you, but the majority do not agree and see a benefit in the funeral being held so publicly. Your views are no more valid than mine, so we have to go with majority opinion.
    The majority of the country agree with spending £10m on her funeral? I doubt that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astrojg)
    Rich people pay more tax. Fact.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    URRRRRRM no. They don't. They press significantly less tax than the average working person. Why? Because the leader of our country is rich!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordjord96)
    URRRRRRM no. They don't. They press significantly less tax than the average working person. Why? Because the leader of our country is rich!
    45% of income vs. 0% . So people earning under £9(ish)k pay no income tax where someone on £150k pays £67500 . Please explain you statement as I fail to understand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordjord96)
    They patently do.

£25,000 pa = 20% of taxable income taken by HMRC.
    --This year the tax-free allowance is £7100 for most people, so £3580 in tax.

£250,000 pa = 50% of taxable income taken by HMRC.
    --£121,450 goes to tax.

How can you possibly think otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lydofateapot)
    Not a lot of money? Do you have ten million pounds in your back pocket? ... Can I have some?
    Let me rephrase that, its relatively not a lot of money

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why people (particularly Labour supporters) are complaining about £10m being thrown away on a funeral when less than 18 months ago Ed Miliband tossed away £900m simply by opening his mouth.

They moan about the 17p per person it will cost the taxpayer, but not the £15 per person that Ed cost them.

Ironically, the VAT on a single music download of 'Ding Dong' would cover your contribution to the funeral.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    I don't see why people (particularly Labour supporters) are complaining about £10m being thrown away on a funeral when less than 18 months ago Ed Miliband tossed away £900m simply by opening his mouth.

They moan about the 17p per person it will cost the taxpayer, but not the £15 per person that Ed cost them.

Ironically, the VAT on a single music download of 'Ding Dong' would cover your contribution to the funeral.
    :yawn:

It almost feels like i'm listening to the Conservatives department of propaganda whenever I read your posts. Here have a young conservatives badge of honour to mark all your hard work.

Name:  article-1186975-0511C024000005DC-620_233x423.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  37.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    IT COST ONLY 3.6MILLION
    SOURCE : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22299372
    £2million FOR SECURITY
    £10million was a ridiculous number created by sensationalist anti - thatcher media.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.