Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

BREAKING: Reports of multiple explosions at Boston Marathon leaving dozens wounded. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Is it silly to be worried about the London Marathon now?
    you might not have a choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellecttric)
    Unconfirmed reports of explosion in Tufts Medical Centre.

I've had enough.
    If a child pops a balloon in L.A., that's going to be another unconfirmed report.

There's going to be 10+ reports like this today, it's what happens in the case of events like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Need? This is the internet, people don't do things out of need.

I warned anyone viewing, you had the choice not to look.
    Fine, I'll rephrase that.

What was the reason for you posting that? Were you trying to be funny?

ReputationRep:
    Is it silly to be worried about the London Marathon now? My sister and brother are running and I'm not sure whether to go or not (as I will be in the crowds, I just feel a bit weary now, I like to avoid pain at all costs)
    I think you and family will be fine. The Met are reviewing security in light of this but this attack has come out of the blue and I imagine, everything will be secure for Sunday. I'd be amazed if there was co-ordination in different countries to affect the Marathon.

ReputationRep:
    Just to let everyone know, don't post anything here from the NYPost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Look, there will NEVER be another 9/11. NEVER, EVER, EVER. It was a once in a lifetime tragedy, thank goodness.

Nobody will ever be able to orchestrate such a huge act of terrorism again. FFS, I even have to take off my belt and wristwatch these days when I go through security at the airport. :rolleyes:

Any act of terrorism these days, will be smalltime in comparison to 9/11, yet every time it will keep the terrorist scum in the headlines, and also kill a few innocent people each time.
    Wishful thinking.

Every terrorist's wetdream is to get their hands on a nuclear bomb, and while I wouldn't say it's as certain as a 'matter of time'... it's worryingly likely. Do you have any idea just how much unaccounted for weapons-grade Uranium there is in the world? Because nobody's sure how much is unaccounted for exactly. We just know it's enough to worry about.

ReputationRep:

I've had enough.
    Source?

ReputationRep:
    Is it silly to be worried about the London Marathon now? My sister and brother are running and I'm not sure whether to go or not (as I will be in the crowds, I just feel a bit weary now, I like to avoid pain at all costs)
    It was announced the Met Police chief was beefing up security as a result. Tbh, not all the bombs were successful detonations, those that did seemed pretty poor in terms of effectiveness. Doesn't seem to be well enough organised for it to be a serious threat.

ReputationRep:

I've had enough.
    Seems they've evacuated the emergency ward with the rest of the hospital open.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    I think you and family will be fine. The Met are reviewing security in light of this but this attack has come out of the blue and I imagine, everything will be secure for Sunday. I'd be amazed if there was co-ordination in different countries to affect the Marathon.
    I'll have a think about it, thanks for the reassurance though

ReputationRep:
    We have been fearing that since 9/11. Never happened, though, has it?

True, it might one day, but the chances of that happening are less than a thermo-nuclear war.

Kim Jung-Un likes this.
    The point is terrorists will kill on a scale as large as they have the means to do.

If they can kill 2 they will, if they can kill 2000 they will, if they can gill 200000 they won't get squeamish they would go for that too.

So proliferation of WMD is dangerous because over time the likelihood that they will be able to obtain something like that increases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Just to let everyone know, don't post anything here from the NYPost.
    They're crazy! Reporting 12 dead (when every other site is reporting 2) and claiming that an injured Saudi national is being held in police custody. Are they just making stuff up to get more hits on their site? Disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    It was announced the Met Police chief was beefing up security as a result. Tbh, not all the bombs were successful detonations, those that did seemed pretty poor in terms of effectiveness. Doesn't seem to be well enough organised for it to be a serious threat.
    Yeah true but they did hit some of the crowd obviously, there's a probability (albeit a low one, if some point across the track their happened to be a bomb, but I doubt there would be) cheers anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenGAZE)
    They're crazy! Reporting 12 dead (when every other site is reporting 2) and claiming that an injured Saudi national is being held in police custody. Are they just making stuff up to get more hits on their site? Disgusting.
    Yes, that's right. It sounds like they're making a lot of stuff up just to get more hits. Stick to the official sources.

ReputationRep:
    Horrifying!, what the hell do these terrorists gain by killing so many innocent people, we need to put an end to this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by March)
    Wishful thinking.

Every terrorist's wetdream is to get their hands on a nuclear bomb, and while I wouldn't say it's as certain as a 'matter of time'... it's worryingly likely. Do you have any idea just how much unaccounted for weapons-grade Uranium there is in the world? Because nobody's sure how much is unaccounted for exactly. We just know it's enough to worry about.
    Why would terrorists use a nuclear weapon? Much scarier to make sure everyone knows you have it and make your demands. There's nobody left to bargain with if you use it.

ReputationRep:
    We have been fearing that since 9/11. Never happened, though, has it?

True, it might one day, but the chances of that happening are less than a thermo-nuclear war.

Kim Jung-Un likes this.
    British police have stopped many terrorist attacks happening, including a foiled dirty bomb plot in 2011.

Its only been 11 years since 9/11. Many people feared 9/11 before it happened and it did. A dirty bomb isnt even that difficult to put together its far more likely than a nuclear war. Its bound to happen eventually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenGAZE)
    Not unknown in the gutter press - the Sun made up stuff/exaggerated the death toll after 7/7.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  BH69ZeACMAANWJL.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  43.2 KB

What does everyone think of this? Personally think it's coincidental and wishful thinking to guess it's linked but you never know...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skilled)
    Horrifying!, what the hell do these terrorists gain by killing so many innocent people, we need to put an end to this
    -Fear
    -Mass Panic
    -Economic disruption
    -A retaliation that can be used as propaganda to recruit to their cause

What do you mean by "putting an end to it"?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.