Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR B (Salters) Chemistry F331 (Chemistry for Life) Thursday 23rd May Exam Discussion Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisshP)
    What did everyone say for the question where we were asked to say 2 things we'd observe when calcium mixes with water or whatever the question was?
    Precipitate and bubbles formed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuzuzu)
    I just said anything that came to my mind. I threw in effervescence, bubbling, but I don't think I threw in precipitate

ReputationRep:
    Well I stupidly said fizzing and dissolving. Would I get any mark at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you think I'd get a mark for saying it went alkaline? I mentioned universal indicator... does it even go alkaline? Oh no... I thought that this had gone so well. That's another mark gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kathiye)
    Do you think I'd get a mark for saying it went alkaline? I mentioned universal indicator... does it even go alkaline? Oh no... I thought that this had gone so well. That's another mark gone.
    I said:

1) Fizzing, hydrogen gas formed
    2) Ca reacts vigorously, starts to melt & calcium hydroxide is formed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DomGunstone)
    Yeah. How did you find the calculations?

I usually find them more difficult, but I got them both correct this time; I don't know what's wrong with me...
    I found them fine, lol.
    I put calcium dissolves in water which is incorrect, for one of the observations. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisshP)
    1 HF-->50%-->6000 years
    2HF-->25%-->12,000 years
    3HF-->12.5%-->18,000 years

They told you the HF was 6000 years
    I know but they said count rate or something for the percentage which is something i've never heard of before xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolRunner)
    I said:

1) Fizzing, hydrogen gas formed
    2) Ca reacts vigorously, starts to melt & calcium hydroxide is formed.
    it asks you what you would observe so saying that you "saw hydrogen gas" is actually wrong, you would see a gas and bubbling/fizzing also you observe a precipitate formed
    you will probs gets the marks unless they're pedantic about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kathiye)
    I thought that the question there was about oxygen... did I read it wrong? x.x Oh no! I get it now. Looks like that's another mark that I lost... I assume that it was an ion where the oxygen had an atomic mass of 18.
    no it was, the oxygen atom had an isotope of MR 18 plus 2 hydrogens making it an MR of 20

so you could of written:
    H218O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNote)
    it asks you what you would observe so saying that you "saw hydrogen gas" is actually wrong, you would see a gas and bubbling/fizzing also you observe a precipitate formed
    you will probs gets the marks unless they're pedantic about it.
    What about effervescence, I think it means bubbling, no too sure what it means myself,

ReputationRep:
    any unofficial mark schemes up yet??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyedaK)
    So you didn't do them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The last page was only 3 marks, don't worry too much!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone so a mark scheme already? The fact that you can only lose 10 marks to get an A sucks. ****

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Blade)
    Can someone so a mark scheme already? The fact that you can only lose 10 marks to get an A sucks. ****

Posted from TSR Mobile
    agreed

ReputationRep:
    I felt I did well in that test, until I started reading this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Blade)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what really?? 50 to get an A? surely not....? sorry if im mistaken

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashxx)
    what really?? 50 to get an A? surely not....? sorry if im mistaken
    In january it was 48 for an A...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolRunner)
    In january it was 48 for an A...
    would be around the same then :/ i guess it wasn't a hard exam really.....just hope it goes well really

ReputationRep:
    what did people get for the two assumptions questions?
    one was for the half life Q and the other for the heating fuel/ enthalpy question

ReputationRep:
    for the carbon neutrual and sustainable one i said its sustainable cos it doesnt cause problems in the future and its carbon neutral cos roughly the same amount of c02 is given out and given in.

i didnt mention the words rewnewable,crops,plants...
    how many marks you think i got

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.