Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by William24)
    I'm really not sure, I think if it happened naturally it would be fine. When I was discussing Gatsby I began slipping into talking about New York along with the Jazz Era because like you say the two go well together. As long as you mentioned time settings you should do fine, I'm sure it will be fine to talk settings as well.
    Okay thanks:-) how would you define time settings though? On 2 or my texts I wrote about the significance of time with settings but on Rossetti's I think I focused too much on setting and not enough on time!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Violet_95)
    Okay thanks:-) how would you define time settings though? On 2 or my texts I wrote about the significance of time with settings but on Rossetti's I think I focused too much on setting and not enough on time!!
    In the question the prompts given were seasons, month, times of day, eras, years etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel1995)
    gutted the lab didnt come up! i learnt a model essay for section A as well, waste of time
    I did too, I had a plan ready! I was so sure that it was going to come up because it's new, and besides, I thought The Pied Piper came up in January!

(Original post by rozsarah)
    I did too, I had a plan ready! I was so sure that it was going to come up because it's new, and besides, I thought The Pied Piper came up in January!

it didd, i cant believe AQA can be that horrible. ugh i had to do the kite runner for section A

ReputationRep:
    does anyone else feel like the section B questions were a lot harder than in previous exams? my English class thought so, but maybe it was just because I couldn't think of any time settings in Enduring Love. annoyed at myself for wasting 10 minutes deciding what to write and which question to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rozsarah)
    I did The Kite Runner- I said about Amir's internal conflict, and how the conflict led to the novel being a bildungsroman e.g allowing Amir to grow into a better person. I also said about how his conflict reflected Baba's, and how they were linked through Hassan, and how ultimmately their conflicts affected many?
    yay I did that! I think that's the only good point I made lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agdsten)
    I did Kite Runner and I wrote about Baba and Amir having a weak relationship then ermmm Amir's internal conflicts.

Tbh I'm annoyed at myself for not doing Time Settings cause there was LOADS to write and most people from my school did that one. I'm a bit worried I misinterpreted 'conflicts' :/ Surprised how it seems most people did conflicts as it was the hardest one - I had good plans for both but picked randomly.
    I think I may have done it different to you:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    AQA is the worst exam board ever!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I did the Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Birdsong and the Kite Runner! I think I may have done it wrong too, I didn't really understand the question but I thought the conflict one was really hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amytay04)
    I did the Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Birdsong and the Kite Runner! I think I may have done it wrong too, I didn't really understand the question but I thought the conflict one was really hard!
    What did you say about the kite runner conflict

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albion103)
    Definition of conflict: "to come into collision or disagreement; be contradictory, at variance, or in opposition; clash: The account of one eyewitness conflicted with that of the other. My class conflicts with my going to the concert." I think you might, just might have mixed it up with consequences

For Gatsby, you can talk about the conflict between Tom and Gatsby, which reflect the conflict of old and new money in 1920's america, the inner conflict between daisy and her decisions (tom or Gatsby :P) which is problematic for her seeing as she is an airhead ("what do people plan?") and Gatsby's inner conflict with time and his need to control it, evidenced by his garden full of "daisy's, tulip's and Kiss me the gate's" which all bloom in different seasons

so do you think i completely screwed up? im averaging 93% in my coursework and i think i did well in section A so im hoping that it will equal out. i dont think i wrote about consequences - i wrote about gatsbys internal struggle about whether to take the blame or not from daisy, so internal conflict, but it was my only point, and further to this theres not actually any indication within the text of him deciding, so i kind of bullcrapped and read between the lines. i spoke of the significance of it though in terms it leading to his demise along with the death of his dream. do you think thats applicable at all? damn im so annoyed, the paper didnt reflect my knowledge at all, i want to slap myself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richarddawkins)
    you dont think whats right?
    for enduring love i spoke about how there's conflict between science and religion, rationality and faith, and how this is the underlying basis of the book. but then i said that it isnt that significant (i needed ao3) because although it plays a large role in the novel, red herrings and stuff placed by McEwan and subplots such as logan's wife are what gives the novel its suspense and interest and therefore conflict doesnt play such a large role in the grand scheme of things and therefore isnt very significant
    Ah right, that's an interesting intepretation that I never thought about

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wrote about how conflicts establish characters and cinematically convey the fate of characters with a lower social status i.e. Gatsby , Hassan and Duchess , Porphyria as opposed to Tom, Amir and the Duke, Porphyria's lover who all hold a higher social status and foreshadow the tragic fate of those weaker in society because of their character (Gatsby's unrealistic dream , Hassan will always be Amir's servant"thousand times" and women ultimately fallen to patriarchal rule of society in Browning's poetry.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, did anyone do the time settings question on the exam today? I attempted it but I'm not sure i wrote about the right things....
    I did time settings! What were your texts?

ReputationRep:
    I had Auden, Rime of the ancient mariner, the kite runner and the great Gatsby. However, I chose the conflict question which was really hard to do for Rime! What texts did you study?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, did anyone do the time settings question on the exam today? I attempted it but I'm not sure i wrote about the right things....
    I did Rime for Section A so was left with Kite Runner, Enduring Love and Frost's poetry to come up...afterwards thinking that I should of picked conflict...but spoke about;

KR: Winter of sin and his atonement and absolution in the summer primarily
    EL: condensation of harassment, jed's final letter - 3 years on
    Frost: Winter, tone established in vivid descriptions evokes tone and manipulates readers opinion
    just the bare things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dooobie_)
    What did you say about the kite runner conflict

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I answered the time settings question because I couldn't think of any conflict in the Ancient Mariner!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 24hoursmiles)
    I did Rime for Section A so was left with Kite Runner, Enduring Love and Frost's poetry to come up...afterwards thinking that I should of picked conflict...but spoke about;

KR: Winter of sin and his atonement and absolution in the summer primarily
    EL: condensation of harassment, jed's final letter - 3 years on
    Frost: Winter, tone established in vivid descriptions evokes tone and manipulates readers opinion
    just the bare things
    I did pretty much the same as you for kite runner! FormBirdson I spoke about the fact that Faulks has sections set before, during and after the war! But I'm not sure if that's what they were looking for!

ReputationRep:
    I answered Gatsby section A and when I left the exam I realised that I had read the second part of the question wrong instead of reading it... 'Rags to rich' I read it as 'rags of the rich'!!! I was wondering why it didn't make sense in the exam! :s
    Will I get any marks?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Gh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.