The Student Room Group

Unofficial AQA Biology Unit 3 GCSE NEW SPEC Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sammann123
Whether it is oxygenated or deoxygenated

Could you talk about different pressures for this question?
Reply 241
Original post by ellipsis...

yh that's what I did too :s-smilie:
Reply 242
If you got:
unit 1- 80 UMS
unit 2- 88 UMS
ISA- 42/50
what do i need in unit 3 for a A as don't think i can get a A* without 100 UMS
Original post by sneakbo2
That diagram is wrong loool first of all Arteries don't carry blood to the heart. Just switch over Aorta and Vena Cava then it's correct

First of all, go check your revision guide. The left and right diagram of the heart are usually the opposite way round to trick you. Of course, you're too dumb to realise this. Your revision guide will show you that the diagram is not wrong, and you're just being silly. You're right, the arteries don't carry the blood to the heart, they carry it away, but I think you've just gotten mixed up altogether to be honest. Good luck in the exam. Don't act smart when you're not. :wink:
Original post by ellipsis...

Could you talk about CO2?
Original post by Quantaˌ
Starting the unofficial biology unit 3 mark scheme. This is for the AQA GCSE New Specification test which everyone did on the 14th May 2013.

Can everyone submit the answers they can remember to this thread? I'll add them to this post when we've got a few.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is the mark scheme:

Question 1 [12]

[4]

Coronary Artery [1]

Stents [1]

Stents are metal mesh tubes inserted into blood vessels to expand them if they are blocked, for example by fatty deposits or cholesterol. They are placed in surgery using an inflated balloon. It increases the blood vessel size at the blockage to allow blood to flow more effectively. [2]

OR

Coronary Artery [1]

Coronary Bypass Surgery [1]

The heart is stopped in surgery. The narrowed section of coronary artery is cut and removed from the surface of the heart. Then, another section of blood vessel, usually from the groin, is cut out and the two ends of the vessel stitched back up. The section of vessel is then taken to the location on the heart and stitched onto the coronary artery. The heart is restarted and the blood should effectively. [2]

Artery [1]
Capillary [1]
Vein [1]

The blood in the artery is de-oxygenated (without oxygen) while the blood in the vein is oxygenated (with oxygen). [1]

Question 2 [11]

There is a slow increase in lung volume in the first 1.2 seconds. The volume peaks at 4.8 cubic dm. Then, there is a slow gradual decrease in pressure for the next 1.2 seconds. [3]

When breathing in, the following occurs: the intercostal muscles contract, the ribcage expands, the diaphragm flattens, volume of thorax increases, pressure of thorax decreases and air is drawn in. This is shown by the increase and peak in the graph. The opposite is true (intercostal muscles relax and ribcage contracts) when breathing out, shown by the decrease in the graph. [4]

Positive pressure ventilation systems force air into the lung, changing the pressure inside the lung. While, negative pressure systems change the pressure outside the lung, forcing air in and out. [2]

An advantage of the positive pressure ventilator is that it does not interrupt the air flow in the lungs whereas in negative pressure it does. Positive pressure systems can, also, be digitally controlled and aid in muscle building. A disadvantage of positive pressure is that the alveoli can burst if it cannot handle the pressure. This can happen in small children or babies. [2]

Question 3 [8]

The second food chain (wheat→pigs→humans) has more steps and wastes more energy because the pigs use energy in respiration for movement, homoeostasis, etc. The first food chain (wheat→human) provides ten times more energy than the second food chain. [2]

Factory farming is when food production is made more efficient by reducing energy loss and maximising growth.

Animals are kept in a small space or cage which reduces land requirements. This provides more space for other crops or resources and, so, more food is produced in a smaller space. This is more profitable and creates a larger yield or more produce. However, it is easier for animals to catch diseases off one another and it is expensive to monitor diseases.

Animals' movement is, also, restricted. This reduces energy loss by movement and creates full-size animals quickly. This is more profitable and creates a larger yield or more produce. However, it is seen as cruel, unethical and inhumane as it restricts the animals' freedom- against animal rights. Moreover, stressed animals gain weight less quickly then non-stressed animals.

Moreover, animals are kept warm and indoors. Therefore, less energy is expended by the animal on heating itself, homoeostasis. More energy is used for growth. This quickens the growing process and more profit in the long-term. But, it can be expensive to heat the animals and causes an indirect CO2 increase as fuels are burnt to produce heat energy. [6]

Question 4 [11]

(310-210)/(180-30) = 2/3 = 0.6 (Recurring) [2]

Explain above equation/graph [2]

Osmosis is used by roots as there is a higher concentration of water in soil than in root, uptake is along the concentration gradient. Active transport is used as there is a higher concentration of ions in roots than in the soil, uptake is against the concentration gradient. [4]

The transpiration stream is the flow of water from the root to the leaves through the xylem. It is due to water loss in the leaves, leading to low concentration of water in the leaves and high concentration of water in the roots. [3]

Question 5 [5]

Oxygen [1] Allow Mineral Ions

Surface X allows exchange of food and gas which is difficult in complex organisms. As the tadpole grows, Surface X increases in surface area. This increases the surface area:volume ratio of the tadpole. Therefore, there is more area from diffusion to occur. It, also, means that gases, such as oxygen, and other dissolved substances, such as mineral ions, can diffuse in and out quickly which is important for the tadpole to survive. [4]

Question 6 [7]

When the body get too hot, the blood vessels dilate (vasodilation) to reduce body temperature and lose more heat. When the body gets too cold, the blood vessels contract (vasocontraction) to increase boday temperature and reduce heat loss. [4]

The athlete overheats as there is reduced or no evaporation of sweat, which occurs slowest in humid conditions. This is due to reduced gradient or saturation or high water content of the (humid) air. Also, there is less heat loss by the (latent) heat of evaporation [3]

Question 7 [7]

The person has just had a meal. Therefore, the hepatic portal vein has contains a high level of blood sugar. Insulin is produced by the pancreas and this converts the glucose into glycogen, which is stored in the liver. Therefore, the hepatic vein contains less glucose and has a lower blood sugar level.[3]

The hepatic portal vein has contains a low level of blood sugar. The body requires a constant level of blood sugar. Glycogen is produced to convert glycogen, stored in the liver, into glucose. Therefore, the hepatic vein contains more glucose than the hepatic portal vein and has a higher blood sugar level.[3]

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here are the unofficial grade boundaries:

A* : 46
A : 37
B : 26
C : 17
D : Less than 7

In question 7 If you dont mention insulin or glucagon or the pancreas but instead just say that the liver converts excess glucose to glycogen and breaks it down again in the questions, can you get 6 marks?
Reply 246
Original post by jayjay531
In question 7 If you dont mention insulin or glucagon or the pancreas but instead just say that the liver converts excess glucose to glycogen and breaks it down again in the questions, can you get 6 marks?

You probably won't get 6 marks, at least I doubt it from looking at what other past papers mark on. 'Insulin', 'pancreas' and 'glucogen' are all probably a mark each. You may get 3 marks, 4 if you're very lucky.
Reply 247
Original post by Whooh1
If you got:
unit 1- 80 UMS
unit 2- 88 UMS
ISA- 42/50
what do i need in unit 3 for a A as don't think i can get a A* without 100 UMS

I'm going to assume 42 equals 90 UMS, in which case it's not possible for you to get an A* even with 100 UMS, but if you're really, really lucky it may be more depending on how high the grade boundaries are. For example if your ISA equals 94 UMS you would need 98 to get an A*.

Minimum UMS you'll need for an A (if your ISA is 90 UMS at the lowest) will be 62 in unit 3 which you will have got, I'm sure! Good luck with your results!
Original post by dandaman7771
63 is a low C isn't it?

Oops. I meant C. :smile:
Reply 249
Can someone make an official mark scheme for the exam, freaking out here thing ive pulled my grade down to about a d!!
What is 43 marks in UMS?
Original post by nrahman97
Can someone make an official mark scheme for the exam, freaking out here thing ive pulled my grade down to about a d!!

err, look at the front of this post maybe
Original post by nrahman97

It's not possible as the official mark scheme is only available to the examiner. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I basically said in the exam that the blood leaving the liver had less glucose as the liver had broke down excess glucose into glycogen without mentioning the pancreas or insulin. In the heart question I ajar the blood vessel was the artery instead of the. Coronary artery. My teacher said I might still get the mark. But wat do u think? Thanks for your time :smile:
Reply 254
Nearly finished!

What is the explanation (bold in original post) for Question 4?
What would 33 out of 60 be ums? thanks:smile:
Original post by Quantaˌ
Nearly finished!

What is the explanation (bold in original post) for Question 4?

I think you had to explain/suggest why there was more transpiration occurring between 0 to 30 compare to 30 to 180 seconds on the graph:

I put:

Between 0 to 30 seconds, there might of been an increased rate of evaporation causing a higher water loss in a faster time, while between 30-180 seconds the rate of evaporation steadily decreased causing a lower water loss in slower times
Original post by TomWoodhouse
First of all, go check your revision guide. The left and right diagram of the heart are usually the opposite way round to trick you. Of course, you're too dumb to realise this. Your revision guide will show you that the diagram is not wrong, and you're just being silly. You're right, the arteries don't carry the blood to the heart, they carry it away, but I think you've just gotten mixed up altogether to be honest. Good luck in the exam. Don't act smart when you're not. :wink:

It was wrong, he changed it. Sorry mate don't try it, originally it was wrong, i wasn't the only one that said it. He had vena cava where the aorta one was and aorta where the vena cava was supposed to be, dickhead.

Oh and P.S I got the question right in the exam :aetsch: looool ****er
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 258
The mark scheme is now finished!

It may need a bit of improvement but it's all there. Thank you to everyone who helped!
Reply 259
mark scheme for unit 2 now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending