Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    A question for the current students. How often is one typically required to wear a dinner suit? I'm thinking of buying one since hiring every time could quickly get more expensive, but it would help to know roughly how often I'll need it. Thanks.

PS: I'm going to St John's if that makes any difference.
    Even if you only need it two or three times (that's on the low end, but sportspeople and members of the conservative association, among others, will need it much more) it'll still be cheaper to go to Tesco and buy a cheap one. (Other solutions: Asda, Matalan).

You should also know that velcro bow ties are perfectly acceptable, dammit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    How much does a dinner suit cost to hire? I was thinking it would be around £50, and if that's the case then buying one might make sense even if it's only going to be worn twice a year.
    Didn't look at that, mine was about £150 for a decent quality one, and it'll easily last me 4 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etoile)
    I watched the documentary "the Real White Queen and her Rivals" today and it mentioned that St John's and Christ's colleges were both founded by Margaret Beaufort, which is pretty cool because she was badass. :ahee:
    I saw that documentary a few weeks too, it was very good! You can see the portcullis, the symbol of the Beaufort family, and the red rose, the symbol of the House of Lancaster, around Christ's and around Cambridge in general very frequently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalie21)
    I am for medicine .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nice! I'll hopefully be seeing you next year !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shazz_alm)
    Nice! I'll hopefully be seeing you next year !
    Good luck with your application . Let me know if you have any questions .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm abit new to the whole formal dress thing as a male do i need to buy - A gown, a dinner suit and a formal suit (?) or is there anything else

Also does anyone has any advice on things to book/buy/do in advance (specifically for cambridge/girton for me)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananarama2)
    It's the word informal that brings tears to the eyes. I mean, informal could be anything and smart casual is infuriatingly unclear.
    Jeans and a shirt?

(Original post by Muppetmad)
    I saw that documentary a few weeks too, it was very good! You can see the portcullis, the symbol of the Beaufort family, and the red rose, the symbol of the House of Lancaster, around Christ's and around Cambridge in general very frequently.
    Awesome! I wish we could go back in time to see what it was like back then :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Jeans and a shirt?
    For which?

Jeans and a shirt?

Awesome! I wish we could go back in time to see what it was like back then :moon:
      I would go back and see Cambridge at the beginning of the 20th century, after reading a book on the nigt climbers. :moon:

ReputationRep:
      For which?
      Either I guess?

(Original post by Oromis263)
      I would go back and see Cambridge at the beginning of the 20th century, after reading a book on the nigt climbers. :moon:
      If I had a time machine I would go to so many places Night climbers as in the people that put traffic cones on top of King's Chapel?

ReputationRep:
      Either I guess?
      Well smart casual often means no jeans :lol:

ReputationRep:
      It's the word informal that brings tears to the eyes. I mean, informal could be anything and smart casual is infuriatingly unclear.
      Having done my research, I can tell you that in English-speak 'informal' means you should wear a lounge suit.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by und)
      Having done my research, I can tell you that in English-speak 'informal' means you should wear a lounge suit.
      That's informal?? Good God!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by und)

That's informal?? Good God!
      What. My mind is blown!

Edit: I hope you didn't use wikipedia, because that would probably have us all in morning suits...

ReputationRep:
      What. My mind is blown!

Edit: I hope you didn't use wikipedia, because that would probably have us all in morning suits...
      If informal wear involves wearing a suit, I think I will enjoy Cambridge very much :sexface:

ReputationRep:
      If informal wear involves wearing a suit, I think I will enjoy Cambridge very much :sexface:
      Dares on turning up in my brother's suit for lulz?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      I need to get a new suit, my last one is now dire.

I can do blazer though, that I do have!

Either I guess?

If I had a time machine I would go to so many places Night climbers as in the people that put traffic cones on top of King's Chapel?
        Yes, although back then they were far more fun + it was far easier,

(Original post by Oboe1994)
        Dares on turning up in my brother's suit for lulz?

Posted from TSR Mobile
        Do it. You joined the FB group yet for King's brah?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Oromis263)
        Yes, although back then they were far more fun + it was far easier,
        Pfft...

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
        Am I going to have to watch this for the thousandth time? Oh no, what a shame.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.