Dropped Out of University Watch

Noreena123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rhiannon277)
Wishing you all the best for the next year. Looks like you made a very sensible decision and I hope that 2016 brings you all you hope for. Good Luck
Thank you so much! Just hope I haven't made a mistake by applying for the same course again! x
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Forum User)
0/2 so far. Anybody else fancy a go?
PURSUE

(btw congrats on the 180+ reps)
Noreena123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by asdfghjkool)
Good luck for next year! Your story has really inspired me, all the best at university and your gap year right now
Thank you, hope things work out for you! x
HannieBunny
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I might as well post my experience on here as I posted a couple of months ago but didn't really follow up with anything, SO! here is my follow up story. I went to the university of Hertfordshire studying Illustration/ graphics but would follow up to study Illustration. Months prior going I was really excited to go to Hertfordshire; I was ready to start a new life, continue learning a subject i loved, creating new friends and excited to live near and visit London. A lot of people wished me luck and were proud of me going, so as the date of moving in rolled around we got prepared and i went down south (I live near Manchester) with my Mum, Dad, Sister and Boyfriend. Looking back on it as soon as I got there I could see there was something not right at the time I brushed it off as going to a new institution and the fact I was moving a fair bit away from home with out my support mechanism near me, but I would get over it as soon as I got settled in. Over the weekend I soon realized how much I really didn't like the concept of freshers week, I don't drink and have never been drunk and never have been out so hearing a mass of drunk people out side (Hertfordshire is a campus uni so the club/pub is on site, yay!) really didn't give me a great first impression (I know in fore sight going into accommodation you will experience this and I should of really considered this but I was deluded by excitement). So their was me and my boyfriend in my new room trying to sleep at night but getting awoken by some drunks (my boyfriend was staying over at mine from the Saturday to the Monday night. my parent and sister were staying in a hotel till the Sunday). I was trying to keep optimistic for the lesson on Monday and i generally did especially seeing as it was the intro lesson so i couldn't expect much. I wasn't really happy that day because that's when my boyfriend would be going and then i wouldn't have any one close near me.
So I basically took all of this initially as signs of home sickness and that I would get over it, after all I haven't lived away from home before especially not this far away. That week didn't help especially seeing as a random group of guys ended up raiding our flat and we had to get campus security so that wasn't fun. Only after a week (literally on the Saturday) I ended up breaking down on the phone to my boyfriend saying I didn't enjoy it there.
From that point forward I knew I just wasn't going to enjoy Hertfordshire, i didn't like the location, Hatfield. It had nothing going for it only the Galleria which only had some outlet shops a cinema and a few restaurants which is fine on paper, but it was like the only place to go for entertainment and the only other thing going for it was the railway because it got you out of Hatfield.
I also wasn't enjoying my course too much. This was nothing on the lecturers and was probably partly due to me not having a passion for Illustration any more I still love drawing and what not, I just didn't want to be put into a boring job that involves me drawing logos which they were more or less pointing us towards. I learned nothing new and I thought it was a joke that we had to buy all of our supplies even the simplest of things like paper! So therefore the classroom was fairly barren of supplies unless you bought them from the art departments very own supply shop! tbh if i could give it one credit the women in the shop where very nice and helpful!

I only ended up staying for about a month and nearly every weekend I would go up back home, I ended up dropping out late October and looking back I don't regret it, I have a history of depression and was suffering greatly with it and I am much better now. I am in no way trying to slate the university of Hertfordshire what so ever it just simply wasn't for me. It had some things I did like about it like their societies especially the drama one, I just obviously couldn't commit to it because I knew I wasn't staying. the accommodation there was nice if you where in the modern buildings like me but i was also on the bottom floor and next to the kitchen/living room so i heard EVERYTHING. I did like the ramen they made there and they also did sushi and it was all very fresh so the food got props from me and they did food in the pub! I also made some nice friends there and I was sad to leave them.
but i couldn't pay 9k a year just to stay for that and the fact overall i didn't like it. sorry if this post was long and tedious with pointless info, but I just want to share my experience with everyone and if people are wanting to leave university but feel like they cant because of social pressures, it is completely valid to drop out and you are not worthless if it means getting yourself in a better place. just make sure that you do want to drop out because it is a big and hard decision.

any one is welcome to ask me any questions concerning matter on this topic I am very sorry on how long this post is! (and poor grammar!)
Limpopo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Where'sPerry?)
To be honest I think the most common theme here actually seems to be depression. It was definitely the case for me as well, I literally cried for hours every day that I was at uni. I was homesick, not enjoying my course (it had fairly poor job prospects so there was no point sticking it out for money) and hating halls. I have never ever been so low and I'm still not sure if I have 100% recovered yet. I dropped out four months ago.

I'm really surprised that you're such a firm advocate of uni, bearing in mind that you have done well without a degree! After leaving I am way, way more supportive of the employment and apprenticeships route and I personally believe we need to stop encouraging almost every school leaver in the UK to go to uni. Pretty much every day on TSR I see posts along the lines of "I'm a graduate and I can't get a job" and it's awful to see so many in this situation when they seem to have almost been promised that having a degree will make their desired career a reality - it won't.
(Original post by Where'sPerry?)
To be honest I think the most common theme here actually seems to be depression. It was definitely the case for me as well, I literally cried for hours every day that I was at uni. I was homesick, not enjoying my course (it had fairly poor job prospects so there was no point sticking it out for money) and hating halls. I have never ever been so low and I'm still not sure if I have 100% recovered yet. I dropped out four months ago.

I'm really surprised that you're such a firm advocate of uni, bearing in mind that you have done well without a degree! After leaving I am way, way more supportive of the employment and apprenticeships route and I personally believe we need to stop encouraging almost every school leaver in the UK to go to uni. Pretty much every day on TSR I see posts along the lines of "I'm a graduate and I can't get a job" and it's awful to see so many in this situation when they seem to have almost been promised that having a degree will make their desired career a reality - it won't.
Hi,,just back to the forum after a break.

On reflection i tend to agree with your first point. Mental illness, stress and depression probably feature highly in the lives of many students as it does in many of our lives.

It can be quite debilitating and it is no wonder that young people at Uni feel they cannot manage any more.

I ill just add that when i left school i didnt have the chance to go to Uni. It was in an era when the general perception was that only the middle class elite went to Uni. I was from a poor background and simply wasnt academic enough.

It was also in an era when you could confidently leave school and get a good quality apprenticeship that thought you a worthwhile trade and life skills. I suspect that many of the new apprenticeships and sub standard and i would therefore still encourage young people to study hard ,go to Uni and pick a worthwhile course of study with real employment prospects.
BJR92
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm currently into my 4th and final year of university. Is leaving now with a bachelors degree a bad thing to do?

I'm really struggling this year with the dissertation, it's getting me stressed to the point I don't even know where to start and university is just making me very miserable. My research proposal got an extremely poor mark and its taken away all my confidence. My academic writing is not the best and I feel like its holding me back. I went straight into 3rd year at university from college where i got an HND and enjoyed every minute of it.

is anyone on the same boat as me?
Azzyrainbow
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm an international student and first applied to do Journalism in a Welsh Russell Group Uni. Was really shocked that I got a place as I didn't have the golden above 3 GPA. For where I come from this is a reallllllly bad result, and for a Uni which ranked pretty well to accept me (and was my first choice) I was beyond ecstatic. Long story short, got into the course, enjoyed the first maybe 2 months, then was diagnosed with SAD. Warded in Psych ward, got "dragged" home. Built myself up, got another offer from the same uni for the course I want. I've since been diagnosed with BPD (borderline, not bipolar), and will be undergoing dbt to try and manage it. Waiting for offers from another Uni as well, but really pumped and hope I don't regret heading over again if I do... :L
timetique
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd get a job, then find another course that I'm interested in then apply for it
Azzyrainbow
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Pursue.
Nfergs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
It will be almost three years since I created this thread and nearly two years since I have posted an update. It's lovely to read everyone's own stories and I'm glad people have been able to express their own experiences of dropping out of university. See, you're not the only one!

From my last update I was in the process of looking for a new job however I ended up keeping the same job as a Barista at Patisserie Valerie and getting a second job part time as a dessert maker at Pizza Express to boost my hours and wages. However little did I know how exhausting it would be to work two jobs with not that much more in wages after tax. In the end I quit the job at Pizza Express and decided to stick with Patisserie Valerie until the end of the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

Anyone who has been to Edinburgh during the festival will know how busy everywhere is during this time. I had moved house to the city centre so I was never able to escape it! Although after the nightmare of working during the festival in Patisserie Valerie, I finally managed to escape and start a new job working in an independent coffee shop round the corner from my house.

I got the chance to work with a UK award winning Barista and was able to work in several of his coffee shops with a good wage. However I had to start off with the basics of cleaning dishes and making food even though I didn't know how to simply fry bacon! It was inconvenient not knowing where I was going to work until the day before and having to pay for travel costs to work in all of his different coffee shops. I worked ridiculously long hours with extremely arrogant colleagues and customers. Despite learning how to cook, I knew I didn't deserve to be treated the way I was.

That was when I decided I needed a completely new career change. I somehow managed to successfully get a job at H&M as a customer service advisor after a 3 hour long interview. The only problem was that the job didn't start until January and I had found out I had the job 6 weeks in advance. Eventually after a horrendous shift at the coffee shop, I walked out and told my manager I wasn't coming back. I went back to my original job at Patisserie Valerie for the Christmas and New Year period until I started my new job in January.

Once I started working for H&M in January, I had a month long training period learning how to work the computer systems and the company terms and conditions etc. Now 3 months into the job, I am able to deal with customer credit accounts, placing orders, phoning H&M stores and a variety of lots of other things. I have also been promoted to provide customer service to the UK, Ireland, and a selection of European countries. I couldn't be any more happier with my new job and friends I have met along the way.

As I have previously said, there is absolutely no need to feel pressured into going to uni. If you feel things aren't going right, there is no harm in considering dropping out or taking a gap year. Give yourself time to think and plan ahead. Earn money, explore the world, make friends and never have a credit account!

:thumbsup:
Kookie20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I want to dropout I hate my course and it's not what I thought it would be, they way it was advertised was almost misleading, but my parents are pressuring me to continue. I'm so miserable and depressed, I'm 21 and I feel like I have no say in my life. I'm going to have another chat with my mother, hopefully she will support me.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I dropped out of my first uni just because I wasn't not enjoying my course I was just missing Philosophy. I actually was studying English Lit and Classics, but the Classics department and my uni were awful despite them being credited for a BBC4 Documentary! I would have applied for Philosophy if my philosophy teacher predicted me what I asked.

I decided that my longing for Philosophy was keeping me up all night and being the first thing on my mind when I woke up everday. At this point it was time to say "I need to pursue this, rather than Classics". Now, I love Lit so kept that and did a joint honours at a different uni at 1st year again. I didn't necessarily drop out as I gained a HE Cert anyway, but I just didn't continue at that uni.

I met some great friends who I thought would be my best friends. Which isn't the case. Still have one best mate from there. And I was so scared about my friendships breaking apart and not making any friends at my new uni.And watching friends graduate when I was in my final year.

But, the friend who's now my best mate from my first uni is great. He promised each other to go to each other's graduations as we'll be graduating at the same time and he's introduced me to some great friends who now I consider friends too. This would not have happened unless I dropped out of uni...

You've always got to remember... Life has a way of working itself out. Live by your own rules. Forget what others think. Life doesn't throw things that you can't catch at you - remember that!
Stitch4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So I have been at uni for a month now, and I want to drop out just need some thoughts? A couple of months ago I had doubts about uni and i really didn't want to move from nottingham to uni of hull. I am so homesick here and uni and I can't stand not having no money and I'm all alone. I have made no friends and spend most of my days locked in room. I do try and I make conversation with my flat mates when I see them in the kitchen and stuff, but I have never been our and don't talk to anyone on my course. My lectures and course is not what I expected and thinking off dropping out now and reapply for nottingham next year. Im so homesick all my friends and family are back in nottingham and it's making ill and depressed. So any thoughts am I making the wrong decision? I really want to go home and go back to work but don't want to miss an opportunity, might be my only one, to get a degree.
bethers__Z
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Stitch4)
So I have been at uni for a month now, and I want to drop out just need some thoughts? A couple of months ago I had doubts about uni and i really didn't want to move from nottingham to uni of hull. I am so homesick here and uni and I can't stand not having no money and I'm all alone. I have made no friends and spend most of my days locked in room. I do try and I make conversation with my flat mates when I see them in the kitchen and stuff, but I have never been our and don't talk to anyone on my course. My lectures and course is not what I expected and thinking off dropping out now and reapply for nottingham next year. Im so homesick all my friends and family are back in nottingham and it's making ill and depressed. So any thoughts am I making the wrong decision? I really want to go home and go back to work but don't want to miss an opportunity, might be my only one, to get a degree.
Hiya!
When I read your post it felt a bit like dejavu! Only I went to Nottingham (and where I come from is actually not too far from Hull)! I've been giving it a lot of thought as to whether or not quitting uni is the right thing or not at this stage, and whether I can do anything to make my experience better.

As we've only been at uni for 4 weeks, I feel like we need to give it a little more time before we make such a big decision! You might go to lecture one morning and your mind might be changed completely! And we still have plenty of time to make lots of friends!

Of course, if you are really upset with yourself and don't know what to do, then I'm not saying stay. Just think about it properly before you make any rash decision.

I actually came home this weekend for some breathing space, and I almost feel like a different person!

I hope you come to a decision you are happy with! Stay positive and keep talking to people! It's the only way!
aliceroseew
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've been at uni for a little over a month now and am struggling a lot. My depression is getting worse as the days go on and am very stressed by the workload already. I have very anti-social flatmates, and although they are very nice, they never seem to want to do anything when I suggest things to do. I have made a few friends on my course but still feel extremely lonely. I'm about an hour and a half away from home so it would be possible to go home at weekends, but I have got myself a job on Saturdays so I am not able to do this. I'm finding being away from family and my boyfriend is very difficult, and don't really know what to do! Extremely miserable but don't feel like I have any other options.. Anyone able to offer advice? :3
Robin Baldwin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I dropped out of Essex University in 1997. It was such a shame, as I really enjoyed my Politics degree. As optional modules, I also studied Sociology and French. I was so sensible in the first term. Most students were quite friendly as well. It was mainly due to too much alcohol that was the problem. this is how, for an 19 year old, my drink history started. I met a friend called Nick, a few years older than me. He was intellectual and mature for his age. My the middle of the second term, we were drinking from mid-afternoon, until closing time in the S.U. bar. It was the first year, when they decided to keep the bar open all day. He told me he had rather serous personal problems which led him to drink. Ironically, he was a first year Psychology student. Why he did not seek therapy seems suspicious. He would only arrive when he expected me. If I did not arrive, he'd have one beer and leave. That's also suspicious! He just encouraged me to drink not just at the weekend, but right through the week. If he spent too much time drinking, he'd decide to take a day off to study, unless I did not turn up. He was a bit of a con artist. By the end of the year, he revised for, and took his exams - I was left in alcoholic wilderness, until I had to leave! It does seem rather unfair, and I've come to resent him, for all his assumed friendliness. If I was getting too involved with his problems, however sympathetic, fair enough, but for his deception! It makes you very suspicious about any future friends. It shows you that con artists can be very clever! That's all I can say for now. There are other factors, but generally relating to a poll to get me to drop-out! That's why I started the heavy drinking, not vice versa! I just was unwelcome there! Why, is a mystery to me. Graduating, would have been a great achievement in life, and disappointment is an understatement!
Jazijem
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I also had a similar experience to you. How do you go about applying for University the second time around? I had funding for my first year and then realised the course wasn't for me. Now what?

Thank you
lukebailey023
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tolaaa)
I am looking for a job and I've applied for better uni's and a course I enjoy for next September and it was the best decision of my life
A very expensive choice at that
kat222
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm just wondering if you regretted the decision to leave, I'm in exactly the same position as you now and am so stuck - do I continue with something I hate and am unmotivated to achieve well in it (English lit at sussex uni) or leave
Kid_Chameleon
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I dropped out in 2005 after failing the second year twice. Again, there was a lot of isolation and depression. I spent a lot of time binge-watching films to cope with the loneliness and had to keep grovelling to the tutors for special consideration and extra time. I couldn't stand living like that so I called it a day. I tried the OU a couple of times with more or less the same results.

I have Asperger's which makes the social aspects of university very difficult and things aren't much better in the job market for those that don't have essential skills that employers need. I spent four years on JSA until the powers that be decided that my problems were bad enough for me to be declared unfit for work.

JSA was like being tied to a chair with someone rubbing a piece of sandpaper back and forth across my forehead. I regard the day I was signed off as the happiest day of my life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (67)
22.11%
The paper was reasonable (133)
43.89%
Not feeling great about that exam... (53)
17.49%
It was TERRIBLE (50)
16.5%

Watched Threads