Muslim students at Queen Mary calling for a ‘right to pray’ Watch

Fungii
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PopaPork)
That's OK

but if you don't ensure equality in this aspect then you want a world where inequality is the Norm

We fight against this so yes I do expect those who support inequality to believe I an odious

thank god we live in a world though where people like me do fight for equality
Don't people have an equal right to make a legitimate request? Is this not what the ISOC are doing?

If this infringes upon another legitimate request then I am sure that as mature, intelligent individuals a valid solution could be met?

It's the intentions and motives behind your crusade that smells off. You hide behind a so called legitimate cause though your ulterior motive is apparent to all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
PopaPork
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Fungii)
Don't people have an equal right to make a legitimate request? Is this not what the ISOC are doing?

If this infringes upon another legitimate request then I am sure that as mature, intelligent individuals a valid solution could be met?

It's the intentions and motives behind your crusade that smells off. You hide behind a so called legitimate cause though your ulterior motive is apparent to all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes that's right everyone can access and request the resource

this is all we want.

You would hope so but we know how iSOC's work and we expect to be disappointed (but are happy to be surprised)

but nice try on the smear, water of a duck back really (I had similar when I used to go up against racists) and it will not stop the actions we are taking.
Kimina
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by atkbm)
Ok so I am applying there and if there's no space I'd be worried. The thing is some prayers (Zuhr and Asr, mid-afternoon and Late afternoon prayers) are quite close together especially during the winter. So, in my opinion room should be provided during the shorter days and the university has no excuse, because they have plenty of unused rooms and space. (All we need is ground to pray on, not a big deal). However during the summer days there's no need as the time is more flexible and longer. Also, if there are local mosques around, then they shouldn't be lazy and simple go there (esp. for Friday prayers) and leave space for those who are unable to go.
The university is an institution for academicc learning. Why should some people have their lectures cancelled just so some Muslims can pray? Islam is not the only religion. They should find somewhere else to do it. There are loads of mosques in East London so it shouldn't be too difficult.
User1310602
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Iqbal007)
It's really not misusing the rights you have............the rules do not dictate what one can and what one can't do, unless it breaches another rule which the campaign does not. Hence they have right to do so, and in fact the SU, ISOC and many students feel that they should campaign. Again this is subjective, just because you feel they shouldn't does not mean that is fact, its just your opinion.

And again, what I don't get is why you are still debating this..............when the issue itself has been essentially been resolved and the campaign is successful.
What makes the Isoc so special from the other societies? Please explain why QM should say yes to the Isoc when no other society has ever used the hall before?
Are you actually bringing up the issue of paying students AGAIN? How preposterous would it be if students across the UK began asking their institutions to meet non-educational needs simply because they are ‘paying students’? Should students at my uni start demanding a 50 inch HD TV for the students bar? After all we are ‘paying students’.
Yes, indeed. The university caters for the needs of the student Societies NOT the needs of certain religions and cultures. Well if a university isn’t OBLIGED to provide halal meet to cater for the needs of Muslims, why exactly is it OBLIGED to provide prayer space? If that is the case then students can start calling for universities to meet all sorts of unreasonable non-educational needs arguing that it’s for their ‘wellbeing’.
Clenching on to dogma and resisting change has only earned Islam the reputation of the being the grave digger of freedom and equality in today’s world. That’s the reason why it receives so much hate and why it produces such hate filled people. Islam isn’t the word of God; it is rather the word of a cosmic dictator.
It’s misusing rights because they are campaigning for a cause which is grossly insignificant and inappropriate. The campaigning rights should be used when individual liberties are infringed i.e if Muslim’s are forcefully prevented from practicing their religion. It is not entirely subjective, most people and global declarations recognize rights as being instruments of protection from having ones liberties taken away. In this case Muslims are not losing any of their freedoms, so why are they campaigning?
Well we’re discussing whether the campaign was justified, not whether the campaign was successful.
atkbm
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kimina)
The university is an institution for academicc learning. Why should some people have their lectures cancelled just so some Muslims can pray? Islam is not the only religion. They should find somewhere else to do it. There are loads of mosques in East London so it shouldn't be too difficult.
That's what I said. But some said that the local mosques are already jam-packed and they have to book the hall to use it anyway. What is wrong is the fact that the university lies and says that its booked and the people do spot checks and find it empty.
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by shouldbestudying)
xxx
It's pointless debating with you, as it results in nothing and the issue has been resolved.

Recent news, is that university will be allowing the ISOC to use the Octagon hall on fridays, when they are unable to let us use it, the SU has allowed the extra usage of another large room in conjunction with the current prayer rooms to facilitate the extra students.
User1310602
Rep:
?
It's pointless debating with you, as it results in nothing and the issue has been resolved.

Recent news, is that university will be allowing the ISOC to use the Octagon hall on fridays, when they are unable to let us use it, the SU has allowed the extra usage of another large room in conjunction with the current prayer rooms to facilitate the extra students.
At least I’ve consistently made the effort to defend what I believe in.
The outcome of the case has proven three things. Firstly, that Muslims expect special treatment. Secondly that they do not take ‘no’ for an answer. Thirdly, that Queen Mary has completely degraded its reputation as an institution of education by allowing such a fusion of the public sphere and the private sphere in our secular established society.
I wonder what other religious needs QM will be facilitating in the future. Segregated lectures? Broadcasting the call to prayer on tannoys? Late start to lectures during Ramadan? Compulsory modest dress for female Muslim students?

Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At least I’ve consistently made the effort to defend what I believe in.
The outcome of the case has proven three things. Firstly, that Muslims expect special treatment. Secondly that they do not take ‘no’ for an answer. Thirdly, that Queen Mary has completely degraded its reputation as an institution of education by allowing such a fusion of the public sphere and the private sphere in our secular established society.
I wonder what other religious needs QM will be facilitating in the future. Segregated lectures? Broadcasting the call to prayer on tannoys? Late start to lectures during Ramadan? Compulsory modest dress for female Muslim students?

So have I.........but I don't see how that is even relevant to the point of the thread.......considering the campaign was successful, end of story.
Another
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
AFAIK:

1) Previously, ISOC has used either one of two large lecture theatres in the QMUL campus to hold their Friday prayers in, since they have always been free in the afternoons and the Universities have granted them permission to do so.

2) As of this year, the University has stated that there was no longer any availability for the rooms as "lectures were being taken place". A few ISOC members scouted out the rooms at the supposed times, lo and behold, to find them empty.

3) The prayer room is too small to fit 500 students in it, the local mosques are oversubscribed already, and the larger mosques are so far away it is practically infeasible to get there and back in time for afternoon lectures.

What's the big fuss about them starting a campaign to get a room to pray in? If the University agrees and let's student groups book lecture rooms in the hours that they are not in use, that benefits ALL societies, and not just ISOC.

EDIT: Just saw that the issue has been resolved... well then, that's good news.
User1310602
Rep:
?
So have I.........but I don't see how that is even relevant to the point of the thread.......considering the campaign was successful, end of story.
You seem to be using the fact that the campaign was a success to assume that your position is correct. Your argument is still as unjustified as it was the day this thread began.
User1310602
Rep:
?
You back for more?
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You seem to be using the fact that the campaign was a success to assume that your position is correct. Your argument is still as unjustified as it was the day this thread began.
Have I said that, or are you making assumptions :rolleyes:

The point is.........that the debate is now worthless, because you can debate it as much as you want, but their has been a result.
So I don't see why debating any further would do anything, same goes for you, you can be as against as you want but it won't change the ISOC on the campaign nor the universities decision.
User1310602
Rep:
?
Have I said that, or are you making assumptions :rolleyes:

The point is.........that the debate is now worthless, because you can debate it as much as you want, but their has been a result.
So I don't see why debating any further would do anything, same goes for you, you can be as against as you want but it won't change the ISOC on the campaign nor the universities decision.
Well the point of the debate was never to affect the decision. It’s not like QM were going to come and check what we were saying on tsr before deciding.
Al-Mudaari
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You don't sound butthurt at all.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well the point of the debate was never to affect the decision. It’s not like QM were going to come and check what we were saying on tsr before deciding.
I'm just saying the debate is pointless to argue about.......since the issue is done and unaffected by either what we say
User1310602
Rep:
?
(Original post by Al-Mudaari)
Off course not, just like you won't when you learn that I sometimes rip out pages of the Quran for fun.
User1310602
Rep:
?
I'm just saying the debate is pointless to argue about.......since the issue is done and unaffected by either what we say
Well why did you bother responding to this thread in the first place? It's not like we were ever going to affect the decision.
Al-Mudaari
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Off course not, just like you won't when you learn that I sometimes rip out pages of the Quran for fun.
Are you 10? What a sad little girl.
User1310602
Rep:
?
(Original post by Al-Mudaari)
Are you 10? What a sad little girl.
Al-Mudaari
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Being called out for your immaturity isn't being "butthurt". Trying to continue an already lost argument on a closed case - is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (491)
31.1%
The paper was reasonable (608)
38.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (258)
16.34%
It was TERRIBLE (222)
14.06%

Watched Threads