The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Mentally
Thousands, countless poets were unable to criticize the literature and poetry of the Qur'an or were able to compare the likeof, upon hearing it their hearts tremble in astonishment, I pray for your heart to be open towards Islam One day.

What I think you mean is 'thousands, countless poets were unable to criticise the literature and poetry of the Quran or were able to compare the likeof [sic], upon hearing it their hearts tremble in astonishment [...] and then there were the many thousands of honest, non-brainwashed people who couldn't air their differing views on this matter without being cast out of society or worse'. What advantage would there be in the Islamic community actually remembering all the dissenters? Except those ones they make out to be evil and use in cautionary tales of execution and the like, of course.
Reply 241
No.
Reply 242
Original post by Ronove
What I think you mean is 'thousands, countless poets were unable to criticise the literature and poetry of the Quran or were able to compare the likeof [sic], upon hearing it their hearts tremble in astonishment [...] and then there were the many thousands of honest, non-brainwashed people who couldn't air their differing views on this matter without being cast out of society or worse'. What advantage would there be in the Islamic community actually remembering all the dissenters? Except those ones they make out to be evil and use in cautionary tales of execution and the like, of course.

Are you trying to say Muslims are brainwashed?
And what are you an atheist?

Posted from TSR Mobile
people shouldn't do anything but try to get along. that is all.
Original post by Mentally
Thousands, countless poets were unable to criticize the literature and poetry of the Qur'an or were able to compare the likeof.

Or else they'd have a fatwa on them..........
Wow this thread got 253 replies
Reply 246
Original post by Qari
Are you trying to say Muslims are brainwashed?
And what are you an atheist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm saying people who claim the Quran is the greatest and most infallible masterpiece ever written because other people have told them so, and repeat the idea that no-one has ever found fault with it or found something to rival its literary achievements, have no critical thinking ability.

I am an atheist.
arabic has nothing to do with religion, it's a language that would be useful for people so no-one needs to be prejudiced about it.:smile:
Bullsh*t,
Who ever comes to Britian should adapt their culture, learn the language, study and follow the rules.
Appreciate what Brits actually done for you and stop trying to Muslim everything. :rolleyes:
Reply 249
How about no?
Reply 250
Original post by Rational Thinker
I am actually trying to learn Arabic. However, that Arabic I learn will not be utilised to write servile and sycophantic apologies for Islam but for both writing, reading and criticising the Quran. The light of truth will be turned upon it and translation will no longer provide a corrupt barricade to this criticism.
كنت لا ترى أن كنت فعلت القادمة
Translation you did not see that coming did you?

That's very interesting. I would strongly encourage you to stay dedicated, as you need a good 10-20 years learning to properly master the language, which a lot of Orientalist never get to.

So out of curiosity, what tutorials are you following/what's your learning resources? Or do you have an Arabic teacher?

Original post by Ronove

Yeah, pick up a book on Islamic history at your local library, it will do you some good (from the ignorance perspective at least).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Al-Mudaari
That's very interesting. I would strongly encourage you to stay dedicated, as you need a good 10-20 years learning to properly master the language, which a lot of Orientalist never get to.

So out of curiosity, what tutorials are you following/what's your learning resources? Or do you have an Arabic teacher?

I do not think you should throw around such terms as Orientalist unless you understand them. As for learning I am attending Arabic classes in my local area.
Eh, not really needed.
Get learning :smile:

The possibilities in Arabic for the use of figurative language are endless; its allusiveness, tropes and figures of speech place it far beyond the reach of any other language... Arabic loses on translation but all other languages gain on being translated into Arabic - Joel Carmichael, The Shaping of the Arabs

Very little of cultural or intellectual value coming out of the Arab world so no point learning Arabic.
I initially scoffed at this idea but considering the amount of Arabic speakers in the profession I want to enter, it might have its advantages! :holmes:
(edited 10 years ago)
How many books are there published or translated into Arabic?
Not such a stupid idea. For me, it was almost a toss up between Arabic and Russian, the latter of which I'm now studying. I think the thing that tipped the balance (aside from being more interested in Russian culture/history/etc.) was the writing system. Cyrillic is hardly a walk in the park, but Arabic looks far harder.

Still, I don't know why children should be discouraged from learning other European languages. Getting a child to learn a language is hard enough, so I hardly imagine forcing them to study those with far fewer obvious similarities to English would only make the situation worse. On a related note, I remember the exchange programmes and trips abroad being big draws for studying languages; I doubt many schools would be able to easily organise trips to China, Japan, or Dubai (let alone the financial costs, which would be pretty prohibitive to many parents).
Reply 257
Original post by Greenlaner
No thanks. I have absolutely zero intention of ever going anywhere near Saudi Arabia.

There are 24 countries whos official language is Arabic, moron.

That would be like me saying I have no intention of learning French because I dont plan on going to the Republic of Congo.
Reply 258
Original post by Rational Thinker
I do not think you should throw around such terms as Orientalist unless you understand them. As for learning I am attending Arabic classes in my local area.

I think I understand the term much better than you do buddy. Start reading some Academic papers on the subject.

And that's good to hear, as I said, keep dedicated. That's the only way anyone can get good at it.

Original post by Kezza Wilson
I initially scoffed at this idea but considering the amount of Arabic speakers in the profession I want to enter, it might have it's advantages! :holmes:

Which profession? You don't have to answer if it's too personal of a question.
(edited 10 years ago)

Which profession? You don't have to answer if it's too personal of a question.

Medicine

Latest

Trending

Trending