St John's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants Watch

Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by oldthrashbarg)
How is living miles out of Cam then? Lol. Besides, the duvets should cover enough to minimise embarasment from walk-in situations.
Well, the cycle ride back in to town keeps me fit. :p: My house is awesome though.

And you'd hope that with the duvets, but still there are times you'd rather not be interrupted. I lost all right to complain though, after trying to kick the external door down at 2am in (what was still the roommate's) exam week.
numbered
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Hey I got a AAA+1,2 (2,1) offer for maths..hopefully, if STEP goes well, i'll be seeing u guys come october!!
josibalik
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by KAISER_MOLE)
Oooo, I was in the JCR most of Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of that week, I had long blonde curly hair at the time. (has since gone)
I am pretty sure I ve seen you, I was there on Wednesday and Thursday for TSA and economics interviews.
You were the one that talked a lot right?

I still cant belive I got an offer.
KAISER_MOLE
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by josibalik)
You were the one that talked a lot right?
Oh dear, I am now to be referred to as 'the gobby one' :p:. That was probably me, I might have been playing some reckless pool at the time also! Well done on getting an offer
josibalik
Report 11 years ago
Can someone please tell me what the mix of international students is like at John's ?
lappenlappen
Report 11 years ago
the mix is amazing, (dunno really) however nice to see a future possible classmate, since I too got an offer for economics at John's
KAISER_MOLE
Rep:
?
Updated list!

ShaneP (Maths)
Spy_Lord (Maths)
numbered (Maths)
Lolalara (History and Education)
Enfalas (MML)
BPB (MML)
BlueMooshoo (Economics)
josibalik (Economics)
lappenlappen (Economics)
travel_gal (English 2008 entry)
dups45 (NatSci 2008 entry)
BPB
Report 11 years ago
Cool, its strange seeing a list of names of ppl that I might meet next year! I can't wait, although I'll kick myself if I miss the grades!
josibalik
Report 11 years ago
I just wanted to know what percentage of foreign students there is and where they come from
Enfalas
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Then again, there are only 11 of us on TSR for 2007 entry. That's not many...

Well done to everyone for getting in!
TheJerseyKopite
Report 11 years ago
To Helenia... I'm pretty sure I'm in the rom which you frequented last year... and I wondered how that door got damaged... and to dups yes there are. I watched the FA Cup final (plus the semi, and many other games) in the Baron of Beef opposite John's and the atmosphere was fantastic. The King Street Run is a good footbally pub as well but it's a bit of a trek. Good to know another Liverpool fan is on his way to John's, we're outnumbered by Mancunians and Londoners here.

And as for the result Kaiser_Mole... we were resting our best players for the important League Cup qf tomorrow. Wait and see what Guthrie, Peltier, Paletta and Fowler will do to you... :rolleyes:
dups45
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think i no why there arnt many ppl from liverpool, well if my interview was anything to go by. The first one (general one) was with this guy called Dr **** E McConnell....i found it funny that his initials are REM and his name is ****, but hey, he was basically racists towards the irish, catholics and people from liverpool...which is me! i didnt say anything, just bit my tounge n all, my teachers wer gonna send a letter of complaint, becuase lets face it, he wouldnt have said something like that to a coloured person or person of a different faith that isnt generic to this country. But yeh, id imagine if that line of questioning was in most interviews then a lot of people would react to it!
Intelligentsia
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dups45)
I think i no why there arnt many ppl from liverpool, well if my interview was anything to go by. The first one (general one) was with this guy called Dr **** E McConnell....i found it funny that his initials are REM and his name is ****, but hey, he was basically racists towards the irish, catholics and people from liverpool...which is me! i didnt say anything, just bit my tounge n all, my teachers wer gonna send a letter of complaint, becuase lets face it, he wouldnt have said something like that to a coloured person or person of a different faith that isnt generic to this country. But yeh, id imagine if that line of questioning was in most interviews then a lot of people would react to it!
Dr. McC is generally quite nice, he was prolly messin around tryin to ease you up or something. But then again, I'm "coloured" as you put it. :rolleyes:
dups45
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Me and my teachers came to the conclusion that he was trying to provoke a reaction from me. I didnt react, i just went along with it, and they said the outcome would have been very different if i had retorted to some of the things he said.

The guy who interview me for chemistry....erm, i cant remember his name, johnson maybe? and the pharamcologist burdakov, they wer really nice and made me feel settled, i think i preformed the best in that interview

Then my bio interview, i had one kinda mad physiologst guy, big hair, glasses, strange voice, and then the other guy is someone id expect to see down the pub lol, he was pritty sound
lappenlappen
Report 11 years ago
Read somewhere that you can only have guests in your room for 1 night at a time and only one day per week and so on... Is the college hard on this or would it be possible to maybe once in a while have someone stay a few nights? Maybe even throw a party? Love to hear you veterans' opinion on this
oldthrashbarg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by lappenlappen)
Read somewhere that you can only have guests in your room for 1 night at a time and only one day per week and so on... Is the college hard on this or would it be possible to maybe once in a while have someone stay a few nights? Maybe even throw a party? Love to hear you veterans' opinion on this
They don't normally enforce it unless you're very obvious. Depends very much on the bedder, as he/she is the one who would find out and report it. Simply having someone to stay for a few nights won't be a problem at all.

Rød front
lappenlappen
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by oldthrashbarg)
They don't normally enforce it unless you're very obvious. Depends very much on the bedder, as he/she is the one who would find out and report it. Simply having someone to stay for a few nights won't be a problem at all.

Rød front
Thanks, calmed my nervs a little since it would be nice to be able to invite friends from time to time. And it would feel a bit awkward to have to tell them they can only stay for one night
oldthrashbarg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by lappenlappen)
Thanks, calmed my nervs a little since it would be nice to be able to invite friends from time to time. And it would feel a bit awkward to have to tell them they can only stay for one night
Nah, 's fine. You may find the beds in Cripps somewhat narrow though.... The Lady Superintendent isn't stupid.
bollo
Report 11 years ago
Hi, I just got an offer from St John's to study English. The college looks really good, the only negative things i've read is that its size can be intimidating. Just wondering what other people thought. Ooo, and i thought i'd check if there was any sort of class war raging? Hopefully not,lol.
KAISER_MOLE
Rep:
?
Hi bollo, well done on getting an offer . The size can be intimidating for people on the outside, but you get used to it. Just means there is more stuff in college and more people to get to know, and all the people are fab.

And no class wars that I know of...little ones like between somerset and dorset, but nothing major
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (261)
26.69%
No (717)
73.31%

Watched Threads