Cristiano Ronaldo
    3.68%
    Floyd Mayweather Jr
    0%
    Other
    18.38%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    The black guy that won some race in the Berlin Olympics during world war 2. Can't remember his name lol.
    Jesse Owens. 1936.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    Sigh.
    Clearly the athletes identified were elite in their sports, as has already been discussed comparing Don Bradman with Bo Jackson is a futile exercise.
    Still, if you think that the achievements of Jesse Owens, Jackie Robinson etc in this context are not worthy of discussion then good luck to you.
    Ali was a bigger cultural icon than Sugar Ray, yes, the question asked was 'who is the greatest sportsman ever'. Ask people who follow boxing who was the better sportsman. They'll say Sugar Ray was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mohammed212)
    How is Ayrton Senna not there
    Because I couldn't justify having 2 F1 drivers out of 15 options, and Schumacher was better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    Wrestling? I'd say possibly.

Greyhound racing? Errm, no, but I haven't found a TV channel that shows that either.

I recommended that it had to be on a TV show, because things like football, darts, snooker etc are all shown under "BBC Sport" or "ITV Sport" in the programme - and it's that "Sport" that determines whether it is a sport or not.
    Wrestling is contact theatre. Unless we're talking the classical sport ... which gets no TV coverage!
    Greyhound racing has been shown on 'sports' TV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Ali was a bigger cultural icon than Sugar Ray, yes, the question asked was 'who is the greatest sportsman ever'. Ask people who follow boxing who was the better sportsman. They'll say Sugar Ray was.
    Was Sugar Ray better than Steve Redgrave?

ReputationRep:
    Sachin Tendulkar.

ReputationRep:
    Jesse Owens. 1936.
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Jesse Owens lol
    Ye him. Had to deal with much racism from Americans and Nazis. And Hitler's master race propaganda.

Still won gold though #banter

ReputationRep:
    Was Sugar Ray better than Steve Redgrave?
    I don't know... but surely any argument based around sporting contribution is better than answering who is the greatest sportsman ever with Jesse Owens because he did a black power salute.

ReputationRep:
    Rocky Marciano

Only boxer to hold the heavyweight title untied and undefeated throughout his whole career.

Total Fights 49
    Wins 49
    Wins by KO 43

ReputationRep:
    I don't know... but surely any argument based around sporting contribution is better than answering who is the greatest sportsman ever with Jesse Owens because he did a black power salute.
    Black power salute? Are you sure you have the correct decade?
    Jesse Owens was stood next to a German athlete giving the Nazi salute in Berlin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPD96)
    100% federer for me. Was at wimbledon to watch the final the other day and the way he moves around the court and his array of shots is just unbelievable.
    That would be the Wimbledon final where Federer, again, lost to one of his main rivals?

Don't get me wrong, Federer is a wonderful ambassador for tennis and a class act, but he isn't the greatest ever tennis player* let alone overall sportsman.

*That would be Rod Laver.

ReputationRep:
    Black power salute? Are you sure you have the correct decade?
    Jesse Owens was stood next to a German athlete giving the Nazi salute in Berlin.
    Apologies, got my athletes and salutes mixed up.

Your question, I don't know enough about either sport to make an informed opinion.

ReputationRep:
    That would be the Wimbledon final where Federer, again, lost to one of his main rivals?

Don't get me wrong, Federer is a wonderful ambassador for tennis and a class act, but he isn't the greatest ever tennis player* let alone overall sportsman.

*That would be Rod Laver.
    Why is he above Federer?

ReputationRep:
    Apologies, got my athletes and salutes mixed up.

Your question, I don't know enough about either sport to make an informed opinion.
    Which, in part, is my point. Discussing who the greatest tennis player in history is, whilst difficult (answer: Rod Laver), is fun and possible.

However comparing Rod Laver (or Nadal or Federer or Borg or ....) with Don Bradman or Bo Jackson is nonsensical.

ReputationRep:
    Why is he above Federer?
    Laver was utterly dominant in his time, ranked #1 for seven straight years, and was only limited to a mere 11 Grand Slam titles (including two Grand Slams) by him being banned from GS tournaments for five (yes, 5) years for turning pro when at the height of his powers.

Were it not for the nonsense around amateurism and professionalism in the 1960's he'd be well ahead of Federer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    Pele is the most overrated sportsman ever.

He was fortunate enough to have been born into a golden era of Brazilian talent. He didn't stand the ultimate test; European Cup/European Football. I'd rank Ronaldo, Messi, Puskas, Cruyff, Fat Ronaldo, Kaka (peak), Maradona, Zidane, Eusebio and di Stefano above Pele. There are probably more players that are better (that I haven't heard of because the media focus/****-ride Maradona/Pele).

Out of all of them, di Stefano is the most influential. He ignited the flame that is European football.
    No George Best? And with your avatar?
    Goodness.

ReputationRep:
    Laver was utterly dominant in his time, ranked #1 for seven straight years, and was only limited to a mere 11 Grand Slam titles (including two Grand Slams) by him being banned from GS tournaments for five (yes, 5) years for turning pro when at the height of his powers.

Were it not for the nonsense around amateurism and professionalism in the 1960's he'd be well ahead of Federer.
    Well you clearly weren't alive when he played.

I seriously doubt that there was any real competition back then. A couple of decent players and a load of rubbish. Just like golf.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightBlueSoldier)
    Well you clearly weren't alive when he played.

I seriously doubt that there was any real competition back then. A couple of decent players and a load of rubbish. Just like golf.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So Laver and Nicklaus are disqualified for being too dominant? Righto.

It is possible that I have seen a bit more of the old-timers than most on here.

ReputationRep:
    So Laver and Nicklaus are disqualified for being too dominant? Righto.

It is possible that I have seen a bit more of the old-timers than most on here.
    Most of their competition was people with other jobs. Part timers. I can't take that seriously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because I couldn't justify having 2 F1 drivers out of 15 options, and Schumacher was better.
    No he wasnt Senna is the best in history

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.