Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ask a Muslim who is questioning his faith anything Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arfah)
    I can tell when someone's lonely and you are. Don't ask how I know, it's not difficult to find out.
    It's not hard to guess that it's pretty likely for someone to have some feelings of loneliness when they're faced with renouncing a belief system they've been brought up with and which (probably) ties them to the majority of their family and friends in a strong bond of collective identity, especially when that identity is a minority one in the country they live in, a belief system which claims there is a benevolent and paternalistic being watching over the followers of said belief system and not so much those who are not followers (and especially not those who renounce the faith).

Congratulations, you are the new Derek Acorah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Bit of background.

Come from a very strict ultra-conservative south Asian Muslim family
    I've memorised the the Qur'an cover to cover
    I'm 19 living away from home term-time (currently at home - fasting)
    Abstain from pork, ham and alcohol and only eat halal meat.
    Do have a non-Muslim girlfriend
    Pray and fast regularly

Anyway got to go away for a bit so I'll answer the questions when I get back.
    my question is what is the point of this thread? why did you make it? what were you hoping to get out of it?

I assume you're smart enough to know this thread will be bombarded with muslims who will bombard you with resources to try and get you to be a 'normal' muslim (which is a piss take but I'll move on); and also people who have a grudge against (or just trolls) muslims, who will reply to these muslims' posts and end up causing various arguments. I assume you will also be bombarded with messages, probably mostly from muslims

Haven't seen most of the posts, but it seems like it given the fact that this thread is only 3 days old and has 13 pages of comments already. How right/wrong am i?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 00100101)
    my question is what is the point of this thread? why did you make it? what were you hoping to get out of it?
    I assume you're smart enough to know this thread will be bombarded with muslims who will bombard you with resources to try and get you to be a 'normal' muslim; and also people who have a grudge against (or just trolls) muslims, who will reply to these muslims' posts and end up causing various arguments.

Haven't seen most of the posts, but it seems like it given the fact that this thread is only 3 days old and has 13 pages of comments already. How right/wrong am i?
    You are not wrong. I saw it coming. I was bored.

It has put me into contact with people who are in similar if not the same situation. You'd be surprised at the number of people that have PM'd me telling me they can relate or they feel the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    You are not wrong. I saw it coming. I was bored.

It has put me into contact with people who are in similar if not the same situation. You'd be surprised at the number of people that have PM'd me telling me they can relate or they feel the same.
    I edited to add on more info before I read your reply. So I'd say I'm only half right. Half is what you agreed on, the other half being wrong about the messages. Didn't think about the people who were similar to you.

Out of curiosity for score keeping, was I still right about the message bombardment from muslims who want to try and 'help' privately or were the majority actually people who were also like you?

(I assume the demographic of the people messaging you may change due to these posts assuming a lot of people actually read this [and assuming my post is one of a kind, which is unlikely but possible in my opinion]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 00100101)
    I edited to add on more info before I read your reply. So I'd say I'm only half right. Half is what you agreed on, the other half being wrong about the messages. Didn't think about the people who were similar to you.

Out of curiosity for score keeping, was I still right about the message bombardment from muslims who want to try and 'help' privately or were the majority actually people who were also like you?

(I assume the demographic of the people messaging you may change due to these posts assuming a lot of people actually read this [and assuming my post is one of a kind, which is unlikely but possible in my opinion]
    It's a 50/50 split exactly about the private messages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Bit of background.

Come from a very strict ultra-conservative south Asian Muslim family
    I've memorised the the Qur'an cover to cover
    I'm 19 living away from home term-time (currently at home - fasting)
    Abstain from pork, ham and alcohol and only eat halal meat.
    Do have a non-Muslim girlfriend
    Pray and fast regularly

Anyway got to go away for a bit so I'll answer the questions when I get back.
    Asalamu alaykum.

As you're aware, imaan increases and decreases and the more good actions you do, the higher your imaan and the opposite is true. Numerous Ayaat and Ahadeeth mention the effects of sinning and what happens to a person when they constantly sin without making tawbah. They develop what's known as 'raan' in the Quran which is a type of covering and it leaves a person heedless unable to see the truth.

If you were to analyse your life, you'd see that your imaan has decreased from either doubt or desire. The first can be addressed by referring to those with knowledge on clarifying any issues you have. The second is based on sinning and not repenting and the heart hardens and you no longer fear Allah nor the last day. Ayaat of the Qur'an mention tazkiyah which is the purification of the heart. You should reflect on them and make dua sincerely and by Allah, Allah never rejects a sincere dua.

This is my advise Insha'Allah. May Allah grant us to what is good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Things like this annoy me a little.

Pray this and you'll be fine...
    Carry out 2 Rakats namaz before your exam and you'll be fine
    Don't worry about the exam son, I'll make dua

In my experience this does nothing.
    This is different to me, duas work for me. Perhaps it is because of your questioning of God. Also i find it interesting you have memorised the whole quran and do the other good aspects and then start questioning the faith? Hmmm...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyedAreYouDumb)
    This is different to me, duas work for me. Perhaps it is because of your questioning of God. Also i find it interesting you have memorised the whole quran and do the other good aspects and then start questioning the faith? Hmmm...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I question the faith because it doesn't work. I've been a "good" muslim for many years. Yet literally nothing seems to go my way. I got robbed the other week (2 weeks before the start of ramadan) I lost £7k. Wtf did I do to deserve that. For the past 5 years I've literally failed every year to some extent or another. I thought praying was suppose to bring prosperity to my life, it evidently hasn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    I question the faith because it doesn't work. I've been a "good" muslim for many years. Yet literally nothing seems to go my way. I got robbed the other week (2 weeks before the start of ramadan) I lost £7k. Wtf did I do to deserve that. For the past 5 years I've literally failed every year to some extent or another. I thought praying was suppose to bring prosperity to my life, it evidently hasn't.
    I'm not sure you've answered this: how did you get robbed? If it was directly from your bank account, in my experience with fraud etc banks are either obligated or simply willing to return your money due to their share of responsibility in the loss (depending on how the loss occurred). I would imagine you've tried everything possible already though, in which case I can only say that sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    I'm not sure you've answered this: how did you get robbed? If it was directly from your bank account, in my experience with fraud etc banks are either obligated or simply willing to return your money due to their share of responsibility in the loss (depending on how the loss occurred). I would imagine you've tried everything possible already though, in which case I can only say that sucks.
    I trade phones with mobile shops. I came home, had some phones and money in a bag (It's worth noting it was a black bag so not see through or anything), left it on the kitchen table. Got changed and went to the gym. Locked the door, come home to the door being broken and my bag gone. Contacted the police, they did the usual and asked a 100 question made to feel like it was my fault. And then said they'll do what they can but it's unlikely they'll be able to do anything as there are no cameras or any strong leads. Strangely enough it was the only thing that was taken. Parents were pretty pissed about it (Family had all gone on holiday for the week). So had a go at me, I spent what I had left of my savings on buying a new door. It just pisses me off that **** things constantly happen to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    I trade phones with mobile shops. I came home, had some phones and money in a bag (It's worth noting it was a black bag so not see through or anything), left it on the kitchen table. Got changed and went to the gym. Locked the door, come home to the door being broken and my bag gone. Contacted the police, they did the usual and asked a 100 question made to feel like it was my fault. And then said they'll do what they can but it's unlikely they'll be able to do anything as there are no cameras or any strong leads. Strangely enough it was the only thing that was taken. Parents were pretty pissed about it (Family had all gone on holiday for the week). So had a go at me, I spent what I had left of my savings on buying a new door. It just pisses me off that **** things constantly happen to me.
    OK. Well yeah, that was pretty stupid. This is why you deposit the money at your bank instead of taking it home. ...unless you're not planning on paying tax...?

ReputationRep:
    OK. Well yeah, that was pretty stupid. This is why you deposit the money at your bank instead of taking it home. ...unless you're not planning on paying tax...?
    Tax...about that...but on a serious note, my suppliers tend to prefer payment by cash and I have a limit on how much I can withdraw from the cash machine so I found it easier to just keep the money with me, instead of having to go to the bank everyday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    Allah could make everything better with a 5 second appearance but no...
    Allah always makes everything better

It's not hard to guess that it's pretty likely for someone to have some feelings of loneliness when they're faced with renouncing a belief system they've been brought up with and which (probably) ties them to the majority of their family and friends in a strong bond of collective identity, especially when that identity is a minority one in the country they live in, a belief system which claims there is a benevolent and paternalistic being watching over the followers of said belief system and not so much those who are not followers (and especially not those who renounce the faith).

Congratulations, you are the new Derek Acorah.
      Yep it's why I said it's not difficult to tell, but thank you, if you stil believe that :hat2:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by anonymous288)
      Allah always makes everything better
      Not in my experience.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TSA)
      Not in my experience.
      I thought the exact same thing as you , I was just patient and everything became better alhamdulilah, maybe you should too

(Original post by TSA)
        Not in my experience.
        You've not had many experiences then! Or you're just very unlucky

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        So you are questioning your religion just enough to be having sex outside of marriage with a non muslim ? You are not the first guy to dress up carnal lust as theological crisis.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by anonymous288)
        I thought the exact same thing as you , I was just patient and everything became better alhamdulilah, maybe you should too
        Seems awfully convenient.

(Original post by arfah)
        You've not had many experiences then! Or you're just very unlucky

Posted from TSR Mobile
        So when things go bad, it's unlucky but I'm guessing when things go well it's due to him. Such a convenient God.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Old_Simon)
        So you are questioning your religion just enough to be having sex outside of marriage with a non muslim ? You are not the first guy to dress up carnal lust as theological crisis.
        Nice assumption there. I haven't had sex outside of marriage with a non-muslim. You are not the first one to put words into my mouth then criticise me for them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
      AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.