Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should there be an upper TSR age limit? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    I do consider their opinions. When I ask for them. I just don't appreciate having them thrown on me.
    So many contradictions. I'm sure if I looked through your post history I would find countless examples of you "throwing your opinion" on people, not that there's anything wrong with doing so. It's your apparent failure to differentiate between someone giving well-intentioned advice and telling you what to do that I don't understand.

It would be near impossible to maintain a relationship if one person was only allowed to voice there opinion when asked. I know you have a boyfriend, so my bet would be that if you think about it, you will realise that people will have given you good advice, whether you asked for it or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    So many contradictions. I'm sure if I looked through your post history I would find countless examples of you "throwing your opinion" on people, not that there's anything wrong with doing so. It's your apparent failure to differentiate between someone giving well-intentioned advice and telling you what to do that I don't understand.

It would be near impossible to maintain a relationship if one person was only allowed to voice there opinion when asked. I know you have a boyfriend, so my bet would be that if you think about it, you will realise that people will have given you good advice, whether you asked for it or not.
    A discussion forum is different though, by joining you're expecting people to debate stuff...

You can voice your opinion, just don't try to "advise me". For example I don't have a problem with someone saying "Personally I'd do x" but saying "You should do x" is a problem. It's about how you say it

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but at least give them a chance to find it on their own?
    But the offer to help find it quicker is nice, surely? All it takes is a no. If they then continue and tell you what to do then yeah I'd be annoyed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    But the offer to help find it quicker is nice, surely? All it takes is a no. If they then continue and tell you what to do then yeah I'd be annoyed.
    I don't think so, I find it annoying, awkward and irritating. I don't "need" their help. I don't want it. Leave me alone.

ReputationRep:
    A discussion forum is different though, by joining you're expecting people to debate stuff...

You can voice your opinion, just don't try to "advise me". For example I don't have a problem with someone saying "Personally I'd do x" but saying "You should do x" is a problem. It's about how you say it
    Someone telling you what they would do and telling you what you should do are completely different, meaning the last 100 or so posts in this thread have been a complete waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so, I find it annoying, awkward and irritating. I don't "need" their help. I don't want it. Leave me alone.
    "Can I help you?" is annoying, awkward and irritating? That seems like an exaggeration.

ReputationRep:
    Someone telling you what they would do and telling you what you should do are completely different, meaning the last 100 or so posts in this thread have been a complete waste of time.
    I did say it depends how you word it. Some people claim to be giving advise but in reality come over as far more rude

"Can I help you?" is annoying, awkward and irritating? That seems like an exaggeration.
    Seriously, I have walked out of shops on the spot before because of it. I will travel further to avoid it. Can't stand it

ReputationRep:
    No, I think just like it's refreshing to see two opposing views from users regarding matters, it is also equally refreshing for TSR to be a linking platform for all types of students from all the different age groups, backgrounds, etc.

We all share one thing in common regardless of our lifestyles and circumstances, and that is we are students or at least users of TSR. Therefore one's age should not be a factor restricting them in participation, I believe instead it should be embraced.

ReputationRep:
    I did say it depends how you word it. Some people claim to be giving advise but in reality come over as far more rude

Seriously, I have walked out of shops on the spot before because of it. I will travel further to avoid it. Can't stand it
    I see. The one question is fine to me, but I did once walk out because this woman was following me around and made it really awkward.

ReputationRep:
    I see. The one question is fine to me, but I did once walk out because this woman was following me around and made it really awkward.
    Yeah, I just find it weird, it makes me feel pressured. That's why I don't like it

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I just find it weird, it makes me feel pressured. That's why I don't like it
    You'd ask for the help if you wanted it, surely? Also find it annoying.

ReputationRep:
    yes, i think it should be 102

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spring24)
    No, I think just like it's refreshing to see two opposing views from users regarding matters, it is also equally refreshing for TSR to be a linking platform for all types of students from all the different age groups, backgrounds, etc.

We all share one thing in common regardless of our lifestyles and circumstances, and that is we are students or at least users of TSR. Therefore one's age should not be a factor restricting them in participation, I believe instead it should be embraced.
    Thank you, and I agree. Regardless of the various paths this thread has traversed, I'm encouraged that the majority embrace contributions from all ages.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I think that says more about the recipient than the giver.

I'm sorry that, as a business woman, you were unable to respond to my 'small business' and 'machine gun' posts.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, I have to agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    I feel very uncomfortable with that. I consider myself quite old at 22, I certainly wouldn't go up to start a conversation with a 13 year old in real life, so why shouldn't the same rules apply on an internet forum.
    Or maybe it is way to communicate with people who you would not normally due to prejudices and random social barriers. As long as you don;t do anything inappropriate then I don't see the problem. I also talk to some young teenagers in real life anyway.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Nah, students can be of all ages. Parents sometimes want to ask about university choices so it makes sense that parents are allowed too. Although if you have literally no connection to students then it may be a tad odd.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there should be an upper one, but I think we should look at introducing a lower one - I think that 14 should be a good age, as a) I rarely ever see questions or threads aimed at KS3 or earlier b) Some of the content - particularly in health and relationships - is a bit mature, some are actually quite detailed IMHO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    Fair question, perhaps I should have said upper limit for ex-students.
    If all we had on here were new and current students, nobody would ever get answers.

Thank you for kicking around to help out!

Folk that call older people peados are just showing their age.

You continue doing your thing, sir.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willmackie)
    If all we had on here were new and current students, nobody would ever get answers.

Thank you for kicking around to help out!

Folk that call older people peados are just showing their age.

You continue doing your thing, sir.
    Out of rep, but thank you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.