Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone here who felt their year 10 'best friend' was kind of pulling them down/not making them a good person? Did you manage to kind of get through year 11 without them? I have other friends, but she's in my form...I just want to do my best and I've finally come to my senses that she's not a good influence on me.

ReputationRep:
    1) What GCSE's are you taking?
    Maths (ugh!), English lit, English Lang, French,psychology, computer science, geography , triple science, R.S

2) What are your expectations of year 11?
    I don't know to be honest. I just need to start being on the ball all times. I guess in year 10 you could slack off a little but in year 11 you can't. I normally leave course work and revision till a few days before it's due because I find I work best under pressure. That way I don't procasinate and put it off but saying 'don't worry I still have a few more weeks before it's due in' . But I guess that will have to change:L

3)Are you looking forward to year 11?
    Yes I guess.., I love school tbh and having a work load gives me something to keep my mind in other than doing crap all day:L however I have one question.... Do you think resorting controlled assessments is ok? Will I have enough time to do ad well as revise for all my other exams?
    Much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: sorry I meant re- sitting controlled assessments (;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Its_Tito)
    Is there anyone here who felt their year 10 'best friend' was kind of pulling them down/not making them a good person? Did you manage to kind of get through year 11 without them? I have other friends, but she's in my form...I just want to do my best and I've finally come to my senses that she's not a good influence on me.
    I think year 11 brought everyone closer tbh. But yeah at the end of the day it is your results and not yours and hers. It may be hard but sometimes you have to be selfish and give up some things to succeed. I wouldn't focus on building or sustaining any friendships during exam season, just explain to her how you feel, how you want to do good and focus on your studies. If she doesn't understand or responds horribly then she obviously isn't a true friend..You do not want to get your results and feel regret because you allowed someone to stop you from achieving your potential. I hope everything works out between you and her tho!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkydee19)
    I think year 11 brought everyone closer tbh. But yeah at the end of the day it is your results and not yours and hers. It may be hard but sometimes you have to be selfish and give up some things to succeed. I wouldn't focus on building or sustaining any friendships during exam season, just explain to her how you feel, how you want to do good and focus on your studies. If she doesn't understand or responds horribly then she obviously isn't a true friend..You do not want to get your results and feel regret because you allowed someone to stop you from achieving your potential. I hope everything works out between you and her tho!
    Yeah I guess, we're just in the same group so it might be awkward...I'll try that though thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saratheawesome)
    Maths (ugh!), English lit, English Lang, French,psychology, computer science, geography , triple science, R.S

I don't know to be honest. I just need to start being on the ball all times. I guess in year 10 you could slack off a little but in year 11 you can't. I normally leave course work and revision till a few days before it's due because I find I work best under pressure. That way I don't procasinate and put it off but saying 'don't worry I still have a few more weeks before it's due in' . But I guess that will have to change:L

Yes I guess.., I love school tbh and having a work load gives me something to keep my mind in other than doing crap all day:L however I have one question.... Do you think resorting controlled assessments is ok? Will I have enough time to do ad well as revise for all my other exams?
    Much appreciated!
    If you want to resit controlled assessments get all of that done before the october holidays and latest Christmas..(although that is pushing it) You will thank yourself for it.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to resit controlled assessments get all of that done before the october holidays and latest Christmas..(although that is pushing it) You will thank yourself for it.
    Thanks! Will take up your advice!

ReputationRep:
    1) How was year 11 for you?
    Hmmm, It wasn't my favourite year, but I still made the most of it. I found that towards the end I got bored and was ready to do exams, I felt that the controlled assessments in year 11 were really important as they were my last chance to get some marks in the bag before exams. Overall it was an okay year. Not too bad.

2) How many exams did you sit?
    21. Having that many exams, many of my friends only had 11-16, meant that study leave was really non-existent for me as I had an exam practically everyday. But I got through them all pretty well, and took time to relax as well.

3) What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?
    Relax. Don't overwork yourself, don't get all wound up about exams and re-doing CAs, it's just going to make you feel worse. Also in terms of revision, I always found that by starting with doing questions I then found out which topics needed work and focused on bring them up to standard, this technique worked very well for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saratheawesome)
    Thanks! Will take up your advice!
    no problem, hope everything goes well for you

ReputationRep:
    Year 11 for me was more of an continuation of year 10 - in an academic sense - as oppose to a 'step-up' like in previous years (say moving from y9 to y10). However, for me personally, it was a turn for the worst for my social life as I began to chose revision over parties, hanging out etc. I'm moving to a different sixth form so I didn't become too disheartened, mind. There is an added element of stress but it's nothing that talking through with teachers can't solve. That's another thing: you relationships with teachers will vastly improve as they value you with as more of a priority while you value their efforts towards you more.

26 in the summer
    :eek: - but I had a particularly populated exam timetable when compared to my peers. I also sat maths and english in the Autumn term of Y11.

1. Ace the coursework - seriously. Go for the A* even in subjects which aren't your strongest point - trust me it's worth it! Even if it means going back after school a few nights trying to get those extra few marks to take an A to an A* then so be it!
    2. Start revision early! For me, I started at the end of the February half term and found that I had plenty of time to secure my subject knowledge for all 11 GCSEs. During which, create revision timetables and STICK TO THEM!!! It's all about self discipline and finding the balance between business and pleasure
    Revision notes, CGP revision guides, past papers and exemplar answers are all the key to success; different subjects require different methods but it's all up to you!
    3. ASK YOUR TEACHERS ANYTHING! Whether it's from career advice to chemical equations, don't be shy to ask - they are there to help you at the end if the day.

Although this may have come off as sounding slightly headache inducing, Y11 does boast many opportunities for you to grow as a person, become more independent and, above all else, enjoy yourself! Yes, it is a year to get your head down, but do not by any means let the work consume your life - that's only going to have a detrimental effect. Remember to do what you love alongside to keep one from becoming a dull boy
    BONNE CHANCE!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm just starting Year 11 but I am really nervous about my GCSE's. Is there any help you could give me or tips for Year 11?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    English language, English lit, Triple science, maths, history, sociology, religious studies, citizenship,ict, german
    It will be intense and probably one of the most memorable years.Really hope my classmates mature.
    In a good way yes, most years I have slacked off but this one year will be stimulating.

ReputationRep:
    It was ok. It was stressful, but it was actually less so than year nine or year ten for me (don't know why, it just seemed easier). I found that people were less *****y and more mature. I guess everyone had to grow up a bit and we were all much busier. However, there were far more physical fights.

27. I had four in a row on a couple of days, which made it really difficult. It was less bad than I thought it would be though. I ended up sitting mine in a different room due to some sensory issues, and it helped loads, much more than I thought it would

3) what advice would you give the upcoming year 11s?
    Try to stay on top of your homework, it's so much worse if you end up doing loads all at once, and it's really important you submit your coursework on time.

If you think you might need something like extra time, a separate room, or rest breaks in your exams, sort it out now. It's easier when you do your actual exams if it's all familiar to you from the mocks, which it won't be if you've only just sorted out any of the things above. Take your mocks seriously and start revising early on in the year (I didn't, and so had a really hard time in Summer). Now is not the time to stop working (as I foolishly did in yr 11), it's the time to start working harder.

The quality of your revision matters as much as the quantity - I know people who revised for hours on end for each subject and ended up with lower grades than they had got in the mocks because they had exhausted themselves and not actually learnt anything while revising.

Don't spend too long on one question - even if you can write an essay worth 20 marks on the causes of the dissolution of the Soviet Union, you won't get more than 12 marks on a 12 mark question. If you've written enough for full marks on the question, just move on to something else.

ReputationRep:
    If you are in year 10 going into year 11:

1) English lang', English Lit', maths, triple science, sociology, geography, French, psychology and RS.

2)Stressful. 26 exams...:eek:

3)Kind of. Wanna get into that revision mode and work hard and get good grades in the end.

ReputationRep:

1) English Language (done in year 10)
    English Literature
    Maths (done in year 10)
    Additional Maths
    Triple Science
    History
    Spanish
    Drama
    RS
    PE (done in year 10)
    PSHEE (done in year 9/10)
    Business Studies
    Functional Skills (done in year 9)
    Food

2) Stress, but at the same time for it to be enjoyable. I am determined to work hard.

3) Yeah I actually am.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I finished year 11 with 8A* and 3A grades... so if you want any help then just ask

At first the step up from year 10 was insignificant, as you are doing the same courses as the year before and the only difference is that the exams are sooner.
    But I had tons of coursework -_-. I completed geography at the end of year 10, but I still had a massive ten page essay about castles for history; most of my English coursework (I tend to take my time, and mostly talk through lessons); several science ISAs as I kept getting B/Cs in my additional science one; all my Spanish coursework; all the Media coursework as my teacher decided to change the exam board.
    My advice is to do all the coursework when you get it... it took me half a year to do History ( we would dance on tables and watch Vine videos instead of CW)
    However, I started revision properly during Easter- but I just kept revising and revising - would not advise it.

7 in year 10. 19 in year 11.

Do all your coursework on time, and pressure your teachers to remark it till you get a higher grade
    After Easter do not go to parties (some people in my year went to parties the weekend before exams started: I couldn't help but laugh at them on the 21st.
    So aslong as you go through all the material and understand it (easier to memorise what you understand) then yo can just skim it the night before
    One more thing if you are doing a language. Don't depend on linguascope or your class notes. I found that memrise.com is the best free website for memorising anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by possum_box)
    Hey guys I finished year 11 with 8A* and 3A grades... so if you want any help then just ask

At first the step up from year 10 was insignificant, as you are doing the same courses as the year before and the only difference is that the exams are sooner.
    But I had tons of coursework -_-. I completed geography at the end of year 10, but I still had a massive ten page essay about castles for history; most of my English coursework (I tend to take my time, and mostly talk through lessons); several science ISAs as I kept getting B/Cs in my additional science one; all my Spanish coursework; all the Media coursework as my teacher decided to change the exam board.
    My advice is to do all the coursework when you get it... it took me half a year to do History ( we would dance on tables and watch Vine videos instead of CW)
    However, I started revision properly during Easter- but I just kept revising and revising - would not advise it.

7 in year 10. 19 in year 11.

Do all your coursework on time, and pressure your teachers to remark it till you get a higher grade
    After Easter do not go to parties (some people in my year went to parties the weekend before exams started: I couldn't help but laugh at them on the 21st.
    So aslong as you go through all the material and understand it (easier to memorise what you understand) then yo can just skim it the night before
    One more thing if you are doing a language. Don't depend on linguascope or your class notes. I found that memrise.com is the best free website for memorising anything
    Well done on your results, thanks for your input of advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Its_Tito)
    1) English Language (done in year 10)
    English Literature
    Maths (done in year 10)
    Additional Maths
    Triple Science
    History
    Spanish
    Drama
    RS
    PE (done in year 10)
    PSHEE (done in year 9/10)
    Business Studies
    Functional Skills (done in year 9)
    Food

2) Stress, but at the same time for it to be enjoyable. I am determined to work hard.

3) Yeah I actually am.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow.. why so many subjects?

ReputationRep:
    I just want to give advice:

-Staying calm is invaluable advice.:cool:

-Stay on top of your work and do practice papers no matter how good you feel you are at your subject. Winging it is risky and you could find out that your best subject is the one you did worst in because you didn't put enough effort.

-Read your teachers comments. Always.

-Put in all the effort you can - there is nothing worse than regretting that you didn't put enough effort into your subjects. It's arguably worse than getting a bad grade.

I keep banging on about effort because it's why i got a C in geography...I literally could not be arsed. :ashamed2:

I should have had all As A*s and a B, but my apathy towards my geography CA (not to mention the time I wasted trying to cram that ISH the night before when I also had a history exam) cost me a good grade...

-GCSEs dont matter that much (unless you're hoping to go to a competitive sixth form or to study medicine, pharmacy, mathematics, engineering and/or apply to oxford. In that case they do...work your ass off):bunny:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liverpoolbloke99)
    Hi, I'm just starting Year 11 but I am really nervous about my GCSE's. Is there any help you could give me or tips for Year 11?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Could you give some specific questions on what you are nervous about so we can help you. Also a lot of people here have given some good advice have a look at some of the other posts to see if it answers your questions. If not, fire away

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.