Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ex-Muslim, now Atheist - ASK ME ANYTHING! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hariex)
    Why do you believe that?
    The Qur'an.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    Any sources for this? I find it hard to imagine that there are no talented arab writers who can't replicate a 1400 year old book. How was this test carried out

Here are some of the linguistic uniquenesses I was talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ridwan12)
    The Qur'an.

I meant evidence outside of your own faith. You can't prove that Allah is the one true God by offering the Qur'an, which is supposedly direct word from Allah. Can you see the circular argument?

ReputationRep:
    I meant evidence outside of your own faith. You can't prove that Allah is the one true God by offering the Qur'an, which is supposedly direct word from Allah. Can you see the circular argument?
    If it was that easy then everybody would be muslim and thus what is the point of this life then. We might aswell be in heaven already.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know, the muffin man?!

ReputationRep:
    If it was that easy then everybody would be muslim and thus what is the point of this life then. We might aswell be in heaven already.
    Well, that's checkmate then, isn't it?

You can't provide evidence outside of your own faith because of the point you just mentioned.

You can't provide evidence within the Qur'an because of circular arguments.

Thus, you can't provide evidence for your faith.

ReputationRep:

You can't provide evidence outside of your own faith because of the point you just mentioned.

Faith
    Definition: strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

You may be wrong. You may be right. Leave it at that .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arrow900)
    Faith
    Definition: strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

You may be wrong. You may be right. Leave it at that .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If we define faith that way, every religion can be true. However, we know that this is not the case.

Don't make the mistake of portraying the truth of Islam to be 50/50 right or wrong. People deal with truth in probabilities rather than dichotomy. For example, I would argue that Islam is most probably false - the chance of it being right is there, I just don't consider it to be large enough to be true.

ReputationRep:
    If we define faith that way, every religion can be true. However, we know that this is not the case.

Don't make the mistake of portraying the truth of Islam to be 50/50 right or wrong. People deal with truth in probabilities rather than dichotomy. For example, I would argue that Islam is most probably false - the chance of it being right is there, I just don't consider it to be large enough to be true.
    Probability
    Definition: the extent to which an event is likely to occur, measured by the ratio of the favorable cases to the whole number of cases possible.

Number of possible cases : 2
    Number of cases in which Islam is true:1

Hence there is a 50% chance of Islam being true.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well done.

ReputationRep:
    Probability
    Definition: the extent to which an event is likely to occur, measured by the ratio of the favorable cases to the whole number of cases possible.

Number of possible cases : 2
    Number of cases in which Islam is true:1

Hence there is a 50% chance of Islam being true.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Contention: There is a celestial teapot orbiting the sun.

Number of cases: 2
    Number of cases in which contention is true: 1

I have a 50% chance of being right.

However, if I provided a comprehensive portfolio of why there is a celestial teapot orbiting the sun, complete with pictures, video clips, telescope images, peer-reviewed scientific journals, background science, etc, it would be premature to suggest that there was still a 50/50 chance.

You are correct in assuming that, when I go up to space, the teapot will either be there or it won't. However, this does not mean that I can not have confidence in the contention.

ReputationRep:

Which I have been saying all along........... but does that mean it is incorrect.

ReputationRep:

However, if I provided a comprehensive portfolio of why there is a celestial teapot orbiting the sun, complete with pictures, video clips, telescope images, peer-reviewed scientific journals, background science, etc, it would be premature to suggest that there was still a 50/50 chance.

You are correct in assuming that, when I go up to space, the teapot will either be there or it won't. However, this does not mean that I can not have confidence in the contention.
    But that could easily be disproved...........

ReputationRep:
    Which I have been saying all along........... but does that mean it is incorrect.
    No, it doesn't prove that it is incorrect.

However, the burden of proof is on you. Until you can prove that Allah is the one true God, I have no reason to believe you.

Most atheists demonstrate this point by using Russell's Teapot. Whilst someone might claim that there is a celestial teapot orbiting the earth, we have no reason to believe them unless they provide evidence.

ReputationRep:

That would be very clever, except no one can and will provide scientific evidence for or against Islam. Simply because it relies on faith. Rather than scientific evidence. If you can please provide the "comprehensive portfolio" against the existence of Allah, then please do so. Otherwise there is nothing left to discuss.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You are silly for rejecting the truth and it seems that you are proud of it. Mashallah brother, well done, well done.

May allah guide you to the correct path.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But that could easily be disproved...........
    Bearing in mind that my proving of the teapot is hypothetical, on what basis would you disregard the evidence that I provided?

ReputationRep:
    Bearing in mind that my proving of the teapot is hypothetical, on what basis would you disregard the evidence that I provided?
    Who cares about some stupid teapot? You are the fool here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That would be very clever, except no one can and will provide scientific evidence for or against Islam. Simply because it relies on faith. Rather than scientific evidence. If you can please provide the "comprehensive portfolio" against the existence of Allah, then please do so. Otherwise there is nothing left to discuss.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nay, the burden of proof is on you.

Remember that Islam is essentially a positive statement. This means that it posits several declarations - "God exists" is a positive statement, whereas "God does not exist" is a negative statement.

Thus, it is these positive statements that must be proved. Do not consider negative statements as something that must be proved, for in some cases they are the default position in the absence of evidence. To reiterate: I do not believe that Allah is the one true God because I have no evidence to believe so.

Similarly, you do not believe that there is a three-legged clown on Jupiter playing bagpipes. Why? Because you have no reason to assume so.

So, if you provide me evidence for why you believe that Allah is the one true God, I will examine it and give my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straw-man666)
    Who cares about some stupid teapot? You are the fool here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Out of context, yes, my post was foolish.

It might make more sense if you read the preceding posts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.