Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    You should be trying for LSE if you want to get into banking
    I was going to apply to LSE but I found out today that they ask for your AS UMS marks. Mine weren't exactly outstanding so I don't think there is any point in me applying to LSE. Plus I've heard that the undergraduate student satisfaction is apparently really low there. For banking it doesn't matter which uni you go to as long as its one of the target/semi-target unis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fha96)
    I was going to apply to LSE but I found out today that they ask for your AS UMS marks. Mine weren't exactly outstanding so I don't think there is any point in me applying to LSE. Plus I've heard that the undergraduate student satisfaction is apparently really low there. For banking it doesn't matter which uni you go to as long as its one of the target/semi-target unis
    Be careful with student satisfaction scores, they can be false. Someone I know told me at some lower ranked uni's they tell students the higher rating they give, the more their degree is worth since it raises the rankings etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    As someone who went though the application process last year and secured a place at UCL yesterday, if anyone has any questions, fire away
    Hi,

Yeah I'm considering applying to UCL for Economics and was wondering, (if you don't mind), how your AS results went and what you were predicted for A2?
    Got AAAB in Maths, Econ, Physics and Chem.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to apply for Economics, to (so far) Oxford, Bristol and Warwick, but I'm still thinking about my last two choices from Notts, Durham, Bath, Exeter and York.
    At GCSE, I got 8A*s, 2A's and 2B's, and at AS, in Maths, FM, Economics and Physics, I got AAAB respectively
    I'm sure I'll get A*A*AB predictions at least.
    Do I have a good chance to get offers from these unis, and if so, which ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tucking_Fypo)
    I would like to apply for Economics, to (so far) Oxford, Bristol and Warwick, but I'm still thinking about my last two choices from Notts, Durham, Bath, Exeter and York.
    At GCSE, I got 8A*s, 2A's and 2B's, and at AS, in Maths, FM, Economics and Physics, I got AAAB respectively
    I'm sure I'll get A*A*AB predictions at least.
    Do I have a good chance to get offers from these unis, and if so, which ones?

Have you been to any if the campuses?

I've been to nottingham, bath(not the campus though) and durham but not the others so I can only give you opinions on the actual places
    Nottingham is a really big city with loads of shops and the campus is big (a fair bit bigger than warwick) and is lovely (I'm applying there )
    Durham is pretty small, in between the size of oxford and cambridge imo and it's similar to the two with colleges so that could be something to think about
    Bath is super pretty but I think it can be quite touristy

Rankings wise those 5 are fairly similar è.g. just below the top 5 so I don't think that'll make much difference

You'll just have to think about where you'll want to spend the next 3 years really with those and yeah I don't see why you wouldn't get an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Is there anyone here that's doing the Cambridge International Exams (CIE)? My grades at AS were pretty bad (BBCD), so I've decided to drop the subject I got a D on, and re-take the C and one B, but here's what I want to ask. What Unis would you guys I recommend I apply to, considering my predicted grades are A*BB? The subjects I did are Psychology, Economics, Math, and English language, respectively.

EDIT: In hindsight, I suppose it's worth mentioning that: I do not go to a school. Not because I don't want to, but because there is none available (none that teaches A-levels, anyways), at least not near me. (The closest school is 3 hours away from home)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghaasiq)
    Hey guys! Is there anyone here that's doing the Cambridge International Exams (CIE)? My grades at AS were pretty bad (BBCD), so I've decided to drop the subject I got a D on, and re-take the C and one B, but here's what I want to ask. What Unis would you guys I recommend I apply to, considering my predicted grades are A*BB? The subjects I did are Psychology, Economics, Math, and English language, respectively.

EDIT: In hindsight, I suppose it's worth mentioning that: I do not go to a school. Not because I don't want to, but because there is none available (none that teaches A-levels, anyways), at least not near me. (The closest school is 3 hours away from home)
    Hi! Your results are pretty good considering you don't actually go to a school, is there no way you could have an A*AB prediction? That'd open you up to a few more choices

But here's the offers thread from last year http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...cs_Offers_2013 so you can see what typical grades each uni wants

If I was you I'd apply to one aab uni 3 abb unis and one bbb uni as a bit of a backup incase results next year don't go quite to plan

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I'm planning on applying for economics at Cambridge, UCL, LSE, and Warwick.

Though I would like to apply to all those universities, my grades were pretty poor compared to my expectations. I achieved 5A 1B with an average of 92% across my top 3 (average 89% of top 3 + further maths). The issue, other than my low average, is that I only got a B in economics despite achieving 90%+ in all but one of my school assessments. My economics teacher said he might still predict me an A* (A*A*A*AA prediction altogether).

In maths I achieved 97.3%, and in further maths I achieved 83.3%. I learnt further maths on my own in a month, though.

I've had mixed feedback from Cambridge colleges. Some said that I would get an interview but would statistically be weaker on paper than most applicants, whereas others have encouraged me to apply, acknowledging that perhaps my economics results were an anomaly. What do you guys think?

RESULTS:

MATHS 97.3%
    C1: 100/100
    C2: 100/100
    M1: 92/100
    Prediction: A*

F. MATHS 83.3%
    FP1: 86/100
    D1: 88/100
    D2: 76/100
    Prediction: A

ECONOMICS 79.5%
    UNIT 1: 77/100
    UNIT 2: 82/100

PHYSICS 91.3%
    UNIT 1: 106/120
    UNIT 2: 108/120
    UNIT 3: 60/60

GEOGRAPHY 85.5%
    UNIT 1: 118/140
    UNIT 2: 53/60
    Prediction: N/A

JAPANESE 86%
    UNIT 1: 86/100

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renascence)
    Hey guys I'm planning on applying for economics at Cambridge, UCL, LSE, and Warwick.

Though I would like to apply to all those universities, my grades were pretty poor compared to my expectations. I achieved 5A 1B with an average of 92% across my top 3 (average 89% of top 3 + further maths). The issue, other than my low average, is that I only got a B in economics despite achieving 90%+ in all but one of my school assessments. My economics teacher said he might still predict me an A* (A*A*A*AA prediction altogether).

In maths I achieved 97.3%, and in further maths I achieved 83.3%. I learnt further maths on my own in a month, though.

I've had mixed feedback from Cambridge colleges. Some said that I would get an interview but would statistically be weaker on paper than most applicants, whereas others have encouraged me to apply, acknowledging that perhaps my economics results were an anomaly. What do you guys think?

RESULTS:

MATHS 97.3%
    C1: 100/100
    C2: 100/100
    M1: 92/100

F. MATHS 83.3%
    FP1: 86/100
    D1: 88/100
    D2: 76/100

ECONOMICS 79.5%
    UNIT 1: 77/100
    UNIT 2: 82/100

PHYSICS 91.3%
    UNIT 1: 106/120
    UNIT 2: 108/120
    UNIT 3: 60/60

GEOGRAPHY 85.5%
    UNIT 1: 118/140
    UNIT 2: 53/60
    Prediction: N/A

JAPANESE 86%
    UNIT 1: 86/100
    You average for cambridge will be 89 which is borderline interview/no interview. You're probably best to apply for Oxford if you want a better chance of getting in, since most successful applicants will be in the 93-100 average range.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Hi! Your results are pretty good considering you don't actually go to a school, is there no way you could have an A*AB prediction? That'd open you up to a few more choices

But here's the offers thread from last year http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...cs_Offers_2013 so you can see what typical grades each uni wants

If I was you I'd apply to one aab uni 3 abb unis and one bbb uni as a bit of a backup incase results next year don't go quite to plan

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the help

Is there a way my referee can change the predicted grades once they've been submitted? Also, do you think most Unis will be somewhat lenient on me considering I didn't go to a school for A-levels?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help

Is there a way my referee can change the predicted grades once they've been submitted? Also, do you think most Unis will be somewhat lenient on me considering I didn't go to a school for A-levels?
    I'd presume so seeing as you haven't submitted your application yet, so maybe you could just do done persuading of your referee? Just out of curiosity who is your referee if you don't go to a school?

Erm I think that might leave you open to some of the contextual offers like when universities have two sets of requirement eg aaa-aab, but I'm not 100% on that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd presume so seeing as you haven't submitted your application yet, so maybe you could just do done persuading of your referee? Just out of curiosity who is your referee if you don't go to a school?

Erm I think that might leave you open to some of the contextual offers like when universities have two sets of requirement eg aaa-aab, but I'm not 100% on that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I take online tuitions, and one of those tutors is my referee. Unfortunately, the teaching is mediocre at best, and the classes are pretty sporadic and unorganized. I have to do pretty much everything myself. My referee hasn't ever used UCAS before either, so he isn't sure on how to actually change the predicted grades..

ReputationRep:
    I take online tuitions, and one of those tutors is my referee. Unfortunately, the teaching is mediocre at best, and the classes are pretty sporadic and unorganized. I have to do pretty much everything myself. My referee hasn't ever used UCAS before either, so he isn't sure on how to actually change the predicted grades..
    Oh right hmm I am pretty sure you can change them if you haven't sent the application off yet though so there must be a way

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, ive read a few books, can anyone recommend a good book specifically on the macro side?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sim1)
    Hi there, ive read a few books, can anyone recommend a good book specifically on the macro side?
    Hi not sure if these are what you want but this is LSE's preliminary reading list:
    • A V Banjeree and E Duflo - Poor economics: barefoot hedge-fund managers, diy doctors and the surprising truth about life
    • T Harford - the undercover economist, and the logic of life
    • P Keugman - end this depression now
    • S D Levitt and S J Dubner - freakonomics and super freakonomics

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham or Bristol for economics and also employment prospects??

ReputationRep:
    Planning on applying to Cambridge, LSE, UCL and Sheffield. Am undecided about my 5th choice! After reading through the Cambridge applicants thread though, I am a bit disheartened! The average UMS percentages are all crazy!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username13)
    Nottingham or Bristol for economics and also employment prospects??
    I think nottingham ranked higher this year for graduate employment but this could all change in a few years, the two courses are similar in standard so I'd go for which ever one you prefer tbh, just my opinion though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oreoenthusiast)
    Planning on applying to Cambridge, LSE, UCL and Sheffield. Am undecided about my 5th choice! After reading through the Cambridge applicants thread though, I am a bit disheartened! The average UMS percentages are all crazy!!!!
    Ah cool! The London unis oooh

Ah I wouldn't worry too much there's more to the application than ums and there's also the context it's in, just out of curiosity what's your average ums?

Have you got any thoughts on your 5th uni yet, like any to pick between?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah cool! The London unis oooh

Ah I wouldn't worry too much there's more to the application than ums and there's also the context it's in, just out of curiosity what's your average ums?

Have you got any thoughts on your 5th uni yet, like any to pick between?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My average is 94, which seems to pale in comparison to all the 95+ floating out there. I seem to be quite an average candidate for Econ at Cambridge. I think I read earlier on in this thread that you want to apply to Cambridge as well? What's your UMS average?

I'd like my fifth university to be an AAA offer university, that's the only thing I can think of.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.