Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maximator)
    Mitesh Desai gave us the advice in "Cracking the TSA" to first finish all the questions of one typ and then start with the other.
    I tried it and saved some little time...depends on how you are faster I would say.
    Try it out
    Yeah that's why I was wondering. I tried the 'verbal, then numerical' method for the first time today and finished on time for once. So maybe it's better.

ReputationRep:
    • Hi everyone,

I'm doing TSA questions and am stuck on some of the ones on the specimen paper.

Here is the specimen paper: http://www.admissionstestingservice....-section-1.pdf

I would really appreciate some urgent help on the specimen paper questions (available on the tsa oxford website as specimen paper 1)

I can't do and am fully stuck on Q's 8, 14, 18, 20, 24, 38, 44, 48, 49, 50.

I would really request that Q's 24, 38, 44 and 48 are answered first.

These are the questions where I genuinely hit a brick wall. They are a lot, but I would really appreciate help on them, because I think once I understand how to approach that type of question I'm unlikely to repeat the mistake again.

Would really appreciate anyone answering just one or two as I understand they are a lot!

Kind regards
      and look forward to replies
      Last edited by haiderraider; 2 minutes ago at 16:42. Reason: more details added.

I'm really really stuck and would genuinely appreciate help on how to answer them. I think that the help will then be beneficial for all others stuck on specimen paper

ReputationRep:
    Hey haiderraider,

I can remember the answer to Q24...

Q24: old ratio was 5 tea packets in 5 weeks. New ratio is 6 packets in 5 weeks. That is why there used to be 5 people before gran-gran came over...

Hope that helps.
    What was your raw mark in the specimen test?

Best regards
    David

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haiderraider)
    Hi everyone,

I'm doing TSA questions and am stuck on some of the ones on the specimen paper.

Here is the specimen paper: http://www.admissionstestingservice....-section-1.pdf

I would really appreciate some urgent help on the specimen paper questions (available on the tsa oxford website as specimen paper 1)

I would really request that Q's 24, 38, 44 and 48 are answered first.

These are the questions where I genuinely hit a brick wall. They are a lot, but I would really appreciate help on them, because I think once I understand how to approach that type of question I'm unlikely to repeat the mistake again.

Would really appreciate anyone answering just one or two as I understand they are a lot!

Kind regards
    and look forward to replies
    I will try to answer all of your question but I will start with number 44:

The father puts 4 worms on his hook everytime when he reaches a new pond. Also you have to keep in mind that everytime he casts, he will need a new worm.

No if we start with the first 4 pools. At every pool he fishes for one hour, casting his hook out 12 times per hour (thus every five minutes). 4 ( the worms in the beginning) + 12 (12 new worms for casting) = 16.

16 you multiply with 4 for the 4 ponds on which he stays an hour... which equals to be= 64.

The you do the last pond, on which he again uses 4 worms + 18 (every 5 minutes a new worm for 1 1/2 hours) = 22.

64 + 22= 86 =Option C

ReputationRep:

• I would really request that Q's 24, 38, 44 and 48 are answered first.
    Firstly, please do a quick glance through this thread ( I answered Q8 at the top of this thread and Q50 recently ) before you ask such questions. Its does not reflect well upon yourself if you are unable to conduct a preliminary inquiry before asking.

Secondly, I think it's opportune to inform you that being able to answer a type of question does not mean that you will be able to answer future ones. TSA qns seek to test a principle, and these principles manifest in different variations but never wholly so.

If you wish to answer future questions, it will be better to be train how quickly you can think on your feet- and people accomplish this through years of study and work experience and so on.

This is not a spoon-feeding thread. Again, if you attempted to browse through the previous pages, you will have noticed that even when we ask questions, we tend to put forth our own answers first. At least then, it is possible for mentors to see where you are coming from and try to help you.

ReputationRep:

• I would really request that Q's 24, 38, 44 and 48 are answered first.
    gimme a while, i'll pm ya

ReputationRep:
    Okay,

I'll show you the working out I have tried for Q48.

Also what I mean is not answering this question, therefore, Ican do all else.
    But that if I understand the mechanics of how to answer it, I will be able to apply it in other scenarios.

Nonetheless, regarding Q48

I have tried doing algebra.
    Making 12x the cost of oranges.

and then making 8(x-2) as the new cost.

I equated 12x = 8(x-2) and solved from then on.

But the answer this brings is not C. I think the 12x bit is right and I'm guessing that algebra is along the right lines of approach. But I have a hunch that 8(x-2) is wrong if not more.

Along these lines, how can I address this question?

ReputationRep:
    The other question is Q38

I annotated the diagrams using 30 cm x 20cm x 2 cm as given in the question.

I thought that in order to get rid of the excess string, one does, 24/2 so the answer would be 12. This too was wrong and the answers said
    it was 4, which is B.

Q38 is here: http://www.admissionstestingservice....-section-1.pdf

Q18 & Q20 in the same link also

Q18: I got in a complete tangle at Q18 and thought A would be an educated guess. It wasn't. What I did was I worked out how much each bank owed, so worked out the total debt per bank. But I could not work from there onwards as to the answer. My approach again might be completely wrong, but that was what seemed logical at the time.

Q20: I think I got in a tangle regarding the language and how it ought to be rounded. It talks about both of them getting rounded either upwards or downwards so I guessed A, which was wrong, it was E, and I'm still in a muddle with the language as to how it rounds like that. I don't understand whether we are supposed to round it up or down.

Under full timed conditions, I scored 28/50, most mistakes on the numerical reasoning section so I'm trying to understand where my thought process is wrong so that it can be rectified in time for next wednesday.

Regarding Q50, umm I have looked in the above posts in the feed, but I can't find it. Will continue to try but can I please have a link to the page that it is on, if its easy to remember.

This is what I have done. It's wrong but I'm hoping the ideas I've put out is of some use, at least what not to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David L 7)
    Hey haiderraider,

I can remember the answer to Q24...

Q24: old ratio was 5 tea packets in 5 weeks. New ratio is 6 packets in 5 weeks. That is why there used to be 5 people before gran-gran came over...

Hope that helps.
    What was your raw mark in the specimen test?

Best regards
    David
    Thanks David, it helped a lot! I was using some complex algebra thing when it is a ratio question! I scored 28/50 and did it under strict timed conditions. Answered all questions, but most of the ones I got wrong were numerical reasoning so I'm working on that and have ordered a book to help, should arrive tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm glad I could help! Which book did you order?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David L 7)
    Hey, I'm glad I could help! Which book did you order?
    The one called "Thinking skills" by Butterworth.
    Another one I have is called "Think you can Think?"

The past papers are more solid though, so I'm going through them.

Is it okay, if I can PM you with how far I'm in a question that I'm stuck on, and then ask for your advice?

ReputationRep:
    Sure, please do! I'll try my best to reply as I am a little busy right now...

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I had a quick maths related question:

If it is 2 o'clock on a standard analogue clock and, after a power surge, the hour hand turns 4335 degrees clockwise (with the minute hand also turning accordingly), what time will the clock show?

This is from the 3rd practice test in the think you can book question 34.

The answer is half past 2 and initially I divided 4335 by 36 to get about 12 which according to the book is correct in which case it would be 2 o'clock, but it also says the minute hand is turning and I don't understand the explanation in the book and was wondering if someone on here could help me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ernstol)
    I will try to answer all of your question but I will start with number 44:

The father puts 4 worms on his hook everytime when he reaches a new pond. Also you have to keep in mind that everytime he casts, he will need a new worm.

No if we start with the first 4 pools. At every pool he fishes for one hour, casting his hook out 12 times per hour (thus every five minutes). 4 ( the worms in the beginning) + 12 (12 new worms for casting) = 16.

16 you multiply with 4 for the 4 ponds on which he stays an hour... which equals to be= 64.

The you do the last pond, on which he again uses 4 worms + 18 (every 5 minutes a new worm for 1 1/2 hours) = 22.

64 + 22= 86 =Option C
    Hi, ernstol, I can see what you are doing. But I am afraid that option C, the correct answer is 81 and yours is 86, closer than what I got though!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, when you say 61, do you mean 61%? As in around 30 correct answers out of 50?

What have people been getting on past papers? I can't seem to break 40/50! :mad: I only got over 40 in the 2008 paper.
    I've got: 2010 paper - 36/50
    2011 paper - 39/50
    2012 paper - 38/50

ReputationRep:
    Specimen - 43/50
    2013 - 46/50
    2012 - 49/50

haven't done the others yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, ernstol, I can see what you are doing. But I am afraid that option C, the correct answer is 81 and yours is 86, closer than what I got though!
    He is counting the first one of each pool twice. once for the initial 4 worms and again when considering how many times per hour.

e.g 12 times per hour

1 of those times is the initial 4 worms, 11 of them replacements..

(4 + 11) x 4 = 60

18 times on the last pond

4 first time and 1 replacement the following 17 times

60 + (17+4)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It makes me feel so stupid when people are getting scores in the 40s and I'm barely making the 30s! Can strong GCSEs make up for a less stellar performance on the TSA (around 58-62 on average). This is for PPE by the way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economicsrocks)
    It makes me feel so stupid when people are getting scores in the 40s and I'm barely making the 30s! Can strong GCSEs make up for a less stellar performance on the TSA (around 58-62 on average). This is for PPE by the way
    Last year for PPE the score you needed to get an interview was 61 (Keble website) so if you hit around that with a strong GCSE/A level record you'll get an interview I presume. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.