Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dancer32014)
    Thanks a lot! Newcastle, Reading, Sheffield, Manchester and DMU
    Cool do you have a fave so far?
    I'm just applying to newcastle out of your choices. My others are cardiff, marjon, leeds and birmingham. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madagascar)
    Cool do you have a fave so far?
    I'm just applying to newcastle out of your choices. My others are cardiff, marjon, leeds and birmingham. x
    No I don't think so:confused: do you? I nearly applied to birmingham

ReputationRep:
    No I don't think so:confused: do you? I nearly applied to birmingham
    I considered sheffield and dmu too. Its so hard to only be able to choose five! I'm pleased i didn't want to do history or something where theres like 200 unis to choose from lol!

Marjon is my fave cos its near to me so won't have to move but i loved the others so will be very happy with any

ReputationRep:
    Congrats !!
    thankyouu

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was just wondering if the current students could tell me - do you have uniform as students and when do you need to wear it? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me what Newcastle and Marjon are like in terms of the course, university life, and location?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schmee2)
    Hi, I was just wondering if the current students could tell me - do you have uniform as students and when do you need to wear it? Thanks
    We get uniform for placement, but otherwise you wear what you want at uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woro)
    Can someone tell me what Newcastle and Marjon are like in terms of the course, university life, and location?
    I have visited both for open days and thought they were really nice. Very different from each other though!

I'm from Plymouth so probably have a slightly biased view but this is what i thought of both of them:

Marjon - small friendly atmosphere, 3000-4000 students so get to know people quite well. Halls and a small student village are onsite. Sporting facilities and opportunities are amazing! The course is 3.5 years and has placements throughout, some are a day a week others are block. It also covers dysphagia in more depth than other unis do at undergrad so you qualify to work with swallowing disorders on graduating without having to complete further study. Tutors are very friendly and are qualified slts and a linguist. About 5 miles from Plymouth city centre so about 20 mins on bus. Not the biggest city centre but it has an indoor shopping centre and plenty of bars about. I personally love the barbican as the bars are on the harbour. Near to the coast and dartmoor if you like water sports, surfing, chilling on beach in summer, rock climbing, walking etc its all on your doorstep. The hoe is lovely too just for sitting and chilling on a nice day looking out to sea.

Newcastle - big uni in based right in the city centre. Easy to get to as metro station right outside and metro service is really good across the city into the suburbs. Its a 4 year course with placements from year 2 i think, a mixture of day and blocks. They also have an onsite children's clinic. Tutors are friendly and are qualified slts. The city centre is much bigger than Plymouth so shopping is better, also theres the metro centre at gateshead. Loads of bars and clubs for nights out. About 30 minutes on the metro to the coast and the town moor is just up from the uni so big open green space too. Seemed like a really nice city. Also much better transport links to the rest of the country than from Devon!!

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I have visited both for open days and thought they were really nice. Very different from each other though!

I'm from Plymouth so probably have a slightly biased view but this is what i thought of both of them:

Marjon - small friendly atmosphere, 3000-4000 students so get to know people quite well. Halls and a small student village are onsite. Sporting facilities and opportunities are amazing! The course is 3.5 years and has placements throughout, some are a day a week others are block. It also covers dysphagia in more depth than other unis do at undergrad so you qualify to work with swallowing disorders on graduating without having to complete further study. Tutors are very friendly and are qualified slts and a linguist. About 5 miles from Plymouth city centre so about 20 mins on bus. Not the biggest city centre but it has an indoor shopping centre and plenty of bars about. I personally love the barbican as the bars are on the harbour. Near to the coast and dartmoor if you like water sports, surfing, chilling on beach in summer, rock climbing, walking etc its all on your doorstep. The hoe is lovely too just for sitting and chilling on a nice day looking out to sea.

Newcastle - big uni in based right in the city centre. Easy to get to as metro station right outside and metro service is really good across the city into the suburbs. Its a 4 year course with placements from year 2 i think, a mixture of day and blocks. They also have an onsite children's clinic. Tutors are friendly and are qualified slts. The city centre is much bigger than Plymouth so shopping is better, also theres the metro centre at gateshead. Loads of bars and clubs for nights out. About 30 minutes on the metro to the coast and the town moor is just up from the uni so big open green space too. Seemed like a really nice city. Also much better transport links to the rest of the country than from Devon!!

Hope this helps
    Hey just interested, how can you tell what you will be qualified to work with when you qualify? I didn't know you needed further study for individual issues... X

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot! Newcastle, Reading, Sheffield, Manchester and DMU
    Good luck with your application, add yourself to this table and edit when you get replies to keep us updated if you want to

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...e_courses_2015

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nesca89)
    Hey just interested, how can you tell what you will be qualified to work with when you qualify? I didn't know you needed further study for individual issues... X
    The course qualifies you to work as an SLT as a generalist and i think you can work with anyone, except dysphagia. I was told that whilst most courses have a dysphagia module, you have to do extra training in it to be qualified to work with dysphagia patients and usually its as a post grad / CPD. Marion told me that they were asked by the care trust to include it within their degree and at leeds becket they offer it as an extension to their degree course for approx 5 students, so you do half a year extra and you get that qualification as well as the degree.

ReputationRep:
    The course qualifies you to work as an SLT as a generalist and i think you can work with anyone, except dysphagia. I was told that whilst most courses have a dysphagia module, you have to do extra training in it to be qualified to work with dysphagia patients and usually its as a post grad / CPD. Marion told me that they were asked by the care trust to include it within their degree and at leeds becket they offer it as an extension to their degree course for approx 5 students, so you do half a year extra and you get that qualification as well as the degree.
    Ah right I understand. So it's literally just dysphagia. How can I tell if any of my universities have that included?

ReputationRep:
    Ah right I understand. So it's literally just dysphagia. How can I tell if any of my universities have that included?
    I believe so... I would contact them though if you are interested in that area. I hadn't realised about it being different to start with because most unis do a module in dysphagia, it was only because Marjon specifically pointed out that their courses allowed you to qualify in that area unlike other uni slt courses. x

ReputationRep:
    I believe so... I would contact them though if you are interested in that area. I hadn't realised about it being different to start with because most unis do a module in dysphagia, it was only because Marjon specifically pointed out that their courses allowed you to qualify in that area unlike other uni slt courses. x
    OK, thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    OK, thanks for your help
    no probs you're welcome

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

New to this I was wondering are you all applying for Undergraduate courses or PGDip?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munayey)
    Hi All,

New to this I was wondering are you all applying for Undergraduate courses or PGDip?

I think this is mostly undergraduate degrees, I'm sure there is a pg thread somewhere. Are you applying for the latter?

ReputationRep:
    Hi does anyone know what sorts of things the Man Met written interview will entail? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiliasAnnabel)
    Hi does anyone know what sorts of things the Man Met written interview will entail? x
    I am wondering the same thing, but I don't think it would be fair for others to tell us as it gives an unfair advantage. My thoughts are, they say it's useful to research the career. And I guess if you are right for the course and it's something you're passionate about, you will just know the answers when you're asked

ReputationRep:
    exactly what i thought been doing some research bc mines on the 3rd! and it seems exactly that if you know about the subject youl be fine just really want to go theeere. thanks x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.