Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do your parents feel about you dating outside of your race? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well, maybe it's an Asian thing. But my parents don't approve unless the guy is of Asian descent himself.
    Can't be Japanese though since mine are also anti-Japanese, and hold a grudge against them.

ReputationRep:
    Indian here , I'm only allowed to date within my caste (Brahmin).

ReputationRep:
    dad doesn't care, mum does, but i stand by my choices that i make..however if they were not catholic or christian, it wouldnt be allowed due to the view that it causes complications with marriage and different beliefs in how to bring up future children etc.

it is really difficult when one parent doesn't approve because imo i see no difference between black and white, everyone in this world is equal and that's the way everyone should see it

ReputationRep:
    I'm Indian and I can only date within my own race and the girl has to be from a good caste.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are pretty racist and wouldn't like me to date outside my race. They want me to find a British born Chinese like myself but I don't really find my own race attractive

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    My parents generally don't give a damn what I do as long as it is something they want me to do. As for race, they never liked it that I had a White gf/wife but never really said anything to my face about it though a few snide remarks here and there wasn't something unusual.

I don't allow my kids to date certain races or of certain religions. They know what will happen if they did and it certainly isn't something they want to lose.
    This is strange. So you married outside your race, but your children can't do the same?

And you think your children will lose something. If you can't love your children unconditionally as a father, well sir, it only goes to show that there is something wrong with you, not them.

(Original post by Rakas21)
    I'm a white male and I'd only go white or east Asian, the later may prompt a few jokes but I don't think they'd care. As I don't find black girls attractive and would think any Muslim girl was an idiot they are a non issue.
    On the behalf of black and Muslim girls, we also think you are an idiot. So yes, non issue.

Like most of the people on this thread will have a choice, you don't know what your future holds

ReputationRep:
    I am Indian and my Mom wants me to be in a relationship with my caste(Sindhi) or else,She says it will be harmful for you but I am against with this things and in future if I get into the relationship who is not of my caste.I would fight for this and won't let them do any kinda racism in my Life.

ReputationRep:
    I'm mixed race (Irish, Bajan and African) and a practising Muslim. My parents wouldnt mind what race at all, seeing as theyre different ethnicities themselves, as long as theyre Muslim.

To everyone who has generalised and ruled out different races, your ignorance astounds me.

ReputationRep:
    Im a Hindu. Personally I feel more attracted to while girls then asian girls. For me its not a big thing but may be for my parents but they seem pretty chilled. But I think if I had a white gf I wouldn't tell them unless I knew she was the one.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are v racist so they'll only date someone of my own race (black). Maybe a white guy if he was REALLY amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Professor Purple)
    I'm mixed race (Irish, Bajan and African) and a practising Muslim. My parents wouldnt mind what race at all, seeing as theyre different ethnicities themselves, as long as theyre Muslim.

To everyone who has generalised and ruled out different races, your ignorance astounds me.
    Says the person who ruled out every none Muslim on earth, billions of people - now that's truly astounding.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SerLorasTyrell)
    Says the person who ruled out every none Muslim on earth, billions of people - now that's truly astounding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Religion is a choice. Race is not.
    Picking a spouse for religious reasons can be justified, racial prejudice is not.

ReputationRep:
    I am Hindu , my parents don't mind religion but they told me that I can only marry within my own race. Fortunately I am not into interacial , I am currently dating a Christian Tamil girl from the same caste and town as my parents ,I am planning to convert to marry her ( we have many converts in our familly.

Many Indian parents feel that the worst thing that a daughter can do on this earth is marrying a an outcaste. (yes there is racism, ignorance, xenophobia, and of course good old ethnic pride).

I knew a girl, that was dating a white guy.A few years later, her parents visited her in Louisiana and learnt that she was with a white guy and realized that she was either married or in a serious relationship. They felt ashamed and disgraced beyond anything I can imagine.

Her parents then came back to India, but not to their home. They moved somewhere else, without coming back to the neighborhood, or facing anyone they knew in the neighborhood. They sold their house through a proxy and moved away. Don't know what happened after that. The same parents also disowned their son for marrying outside their caste. There were very conservative and proud of their caste.

Many Indian parents feel that the worst thing that a daughter can do on this earth is marrying an untouchabe. (yes there is racism, ignorance, xenophobia, and of course good old ethnic pride).

My sister fell in love with an white guy in high school. I snitche her to my parents, and actually made her switch schools. Then sent her to India to have an arrange marriage, know she is happily married to an Indian guy .

ReputationRep:
    My parents would probably kill me , if I date outside of my race .(Sri Lankan Taml).

ReputationRep:
    I'm caribbean and my only boyfriend has been white and an other guy I was seeing for a bit was white too. My mum is fine with whoever I choose really but my grandma is a bit funny about it. I really don't care what my family have to say, I'm a grown woman and I refuse to not date someone I like because of their colour!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick.w)
    I'm Irish. we hate dating within our race.

how many Irish people have you met?
    now compare that to how many people have Irish in their heritage.

sometimes it seems like almost everyone in the world has at least one Irish ancestor creeping in there down the line.
    Irish girls are quite pretty and not just ones I know but I know one and she is superbe

ReputationRep:
    My parents have no problems with me

ICH LIEBE DIE DEUTSCHEN MÄDCHEN

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by triples501)
    My parents are pretty racist and wouldn't like me to date outside my race. They want me to find a British born Chinese like myself but I don't really find my own race attractive

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attachments Pending Approval
  1. File Type: gifsmurfette-clip-art-aug3111.gif (7.9 KB)

ReputationRep:
    My mum has no problem with me (I'm Korean, by the way) having a white girlfriend. Not sure about those of other skin colours/races.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.