Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luckystar1900)
    Seems so.. this is how the same markscheme looks on my computer, I get my past papers from phsyicsandmathstutor.com so perhaps there is some weird formatting going on for yours Attachment 432013
    Oooh it works when I download the .pdf apparently. Must be something to do with online .pdfs on my computer. Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teddysmith123)
    Can someone help me with question 8 for the june 14 R paper?

I don't understand why they have changed the signs from -2i-11j+5k to 2i+11j-5k

Also for the second part of the question it only works if in the first part you eliminated the X variable and I don't understand why?

https://3a14597dd5c7aa2363f067571766...%20Edexcel.pdf

I'm on that question and I'm a bit confused lol on how to do part a - so for these questions do we typically like example 29 under the vectors chapter in the book have done do cartesian form and then have both x and z in terms of y and then make y the subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adorablegirl1202)
    I'm on that question and I'm a bit confused lol on how to do part a - so for these questions do we typically like example 29 under the vectors chapter in the book have done do cartesian form and then have both x and z in terms of y and then make y the subject?
    look at my solution in
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3412159

ReputationRep:
    quite surprised/lucky to spot the trick on 2014 reduction; I hope they aren't that nasty this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    quite surprised/lucky to spot the trick on 2014 reduction; I hope they aren't that nasty this year.
    To wrote x^2 as x^2 +1-1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xyzmaster)
    To wrote x^2 as x^2 +1-1?
    Yeah; once you've seen it you can't imagine not having but I can envision messing that kind of thing up in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Yeah; once you've seen it you can't imagine not having but I can envision messing that kind of thing up in the exam.
    I only remembered that because there's a similar question in the textbook and I had done it just a while before I did the paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adorablegirl1202)
    So what I tend to do first is multiply both N values this gives you the direction vector. Next I write the two equations in cartesian and then remove one of the variables either X, Y or Z by using stimultaneous equations - so lets say I remove X. Once I have done that, I then write Y= in terms of Z and then sub this into the equation to get an equation of x= also in terms of z.

I can now form a cartesian equation like in the book and find my points. In the question they ask for equation in terms of r=a+tb so B = the direction vector and A is the point that you have just found.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of a source online with notes on how to tackle all the common vectors questions that come up? I'm thinking of making a mind map type thing like that tomorrow because I've forgotten most of the vector module.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me with question 8 for the june 14 R paper?

I don't understand why they have changed the signs from -2i-11j+5k to 2i+11j-5k

Also for the second part of the question it only works if in the first part you eliminated the X variable and I don't understand why?

Name:  20150618_211827.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  464.8 KB
    Attachment 432119432121
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    Does anyone know of a source online with notes on how to tackle all the common vectors questions that come up? I'm thinking of making a mind map type thing like that tomorrow because I've forgotten most of the vector module.
    if you understand the basic concept it will become easy, lol i know that sounds vague but i feel like that's the only way

ReputationRep:

Thanks!

Also do you by any chance know what it means when the mark scheme shows X^2 =X^2-1+1 when solving reduction formulae?

An example of where I saw this was in the June 14 FP3 paper and I don't quite understand how it is applied

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smem_96)
    According to Edexcel, this is what I need for my FM A level.
    GCE A Level Further Mathematics:
    • AS - Further Pure Mathematics 1, Application or FPunit, Application unit
    • A2 - Further Pure Mathematics 2 or 3, Application unit, Application unit
    And to get an A* I need 480 overall, with 270 in 3 A2 units.
    Based on this info, does it mean that if I put FP1 (93 UMS), FP2 (maybe 82 UMS), D1 (95 UMS) as my AS units, and M1 (maybe 92 UMS), M2 (maybe 95 UMS) and FP3 as my A2 units, that I need 83 UMS in FP3 to get an A*? Or am I understanding it wrong??
    You can't consider M1 as an A2 unit (I'm pretty sure for this: the 1s can't be conidered as A2 units). Your A2 units are Fp2,M2,Fp3 only.So you have to take 93 (or more)UMS in Fp3,otherwise you'll lose the star.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesniep)
    You can't consider M1 as an A2 unit (I'm pretty sure for this: the 1s can't be conidered as A2 units). Your A2 units are Fp2,M2,Fp3 only.So you have to take 93 (or more)UMS in Fp3,otherwise you'll lose the star.
    That's a pain, so I've got to practically get full marks to guarantee the A*, not sure if that's going to happen Thanks for replying btw.

ReputationRep:
    That's a pain, so I've got to practically get full marks to guarantee the A*, not sure if that's going to happen Thanks for replying btw.
    What units have you chosen in Maths (I guess S1 and S2(right?)).If you have any unit with 2 in Maths it could replace your FP2 (given that it is better) and your M1 or D1 would go in Maths(something like exchange in order to get the highest possible mark in Maths and FM).You had better search this , since it is a matter of an A/A*

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand question 6 for the june 2014 paper as I don't know how to simplify the gradient to solve the proof or find the center of the chord for part c.

Also, for question 9, in the reduction formula I understand how to do it, but I just wanted some clarification on what x^2=x^2-1=1 meant? - In the mark scheme it shows this is used to separate the bracket into 2 and I was just hoping you could explain why and how to use it?

ReputationRep:
    What units have you chosen in Maths (I guess S1 and S2(right?)).If you have any unit with 2 in Maths it could replace your FP2 (given that it is better) and your M1 or D1 would go in Maths(something like exchange in order to get the highest possible mark in Maths and FM).You had better search this , since it is a matter of an A/A*
    Unfortunately, I only got 72 UMS in S2 last year so I'm thinking of putting that in maths because I will still be able to get A* in maths (so long as C3 and C4 have gone as well as I think) Which leaves me with no choice but to aim for zero mistakes in FP3 or risk missing out on the A* by a couple of marks.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, I only got 72 UMS in S2 last year so I'm thinking of putting that in maths because I will still be able to get A* in maths (so long as C3 and C4 have gone as well as I think) Which leaves me with no choice but to aim for zero mistakes in FP3 or risk missing out on the A* by a couple of marks.
    Good luck then in FP3.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck then in FP3.
    Thanks, you too

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

Also do you by any chance know what it means when the mark scheme shows X^2 =X^2-1+1 when solving reduction formulae?

An example of where I saw this was in the June 14 FP3 paper and I don't quite understand how it is applied

Yhh basically there is another less confusing way to do it. Give me a moment

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.