The Student Room Group

Feeling accepted in Britain (for ethnic minorities)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jaffacake111
And now I am unclear on your views.

Do you really think that criticising Islamic doctrine is Islamophobic? I don't.

Change my mind?

My views are the same as yours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by King Leonidas
I don't care if I'm accepted, I'm taking your jeewbs:yeah:

SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bhangra::congrats::horse::wink2::youbetcha:
Honestly I fit in as I don't feel anything.

If people feel like that - then don't give a ****.

They will not judge you on who you are, it is upto you to do what you want.

Besides, if anyone gets that aggressive, I respond back with full force.

Be proud of who you are. Once you know that, you won't need to ever rely on people to tell you who you are or whatever crap.

You will feel free, and you do what you wish. But be careful, but don't ever bother with whatever other people say.

I'd say you have a lot of courage to post here, so in my opinion you are already accepted.

And look, it happeens to everybody in every country, not just the UK. In the USA there's been recent riots over the gunfights, what that does say?

Live your life as you see fit - do not care what others say - trust me, you'll be better off without it.
Original post by The Marshall
SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bhangra::congrats::horse::wink2::youbetcha:

You Persian brah:unimpressed:
Original post by King Leonidas
You Persian brah:unimpressed:

Haha, Spartan! We will come for you, and when we come, by the glory of Ahura Madza, we Persians shall rule!

What Shapur did to Valerian, we can do it as well.....
I agree with the guys tbh you will never be fully british. I was born here however I'd never say I was british when someone asks me about my heritage in a casual conversation I'd rather claim my parents heritage which is 10 times richer and more moral than the degenerate one they have here.

I'm from the middle east too btw.
Original post by l1lvink
Although I am white, and therefore look identical to a 'Brit', I am of origin and identify myself as Dutch. I live in the North of England, which I'd say is an area with less ethnic-diversity, and therefore perhaps a bit less tolerant to other cultures (due to their lack of exposure and ignorance towards them).
However, I do sometimes notice that as soon as I tell someone that I am not English, their attitudes towards me change, not in a hateful and racist way, but in a way that they regard me as less than I was before I told where I was from.
I'd say that this is especially the case in England (this is guesswork as I have no other experience), but because England is an island, and therefore has no neighbouring countries flowing freely into it, means that there is less exposure towards people from elsewhere in the world. I also think that English people have a feeling that England is 'The Superpower' in the world, as if this were the 17th century. I also see this in the attitude of learning languages; on mainland Europe children grow up learning their own language, English and possibly several other languages, whilst in England, we aren't really taught other languages as everyone expects other people to speak English.

This is only what I experience, and that only happens when I chose to reveal my ethnicity, so I can only imagine what people who look different (and who'm are associated with bad people) have to put up against.

Don't put quotation marks around “Brit” as if we don't exist. Other than that, I don't know why any Englishman would think any less of you because you're a Dutchman. They seemingly forget that the Anglo-Saxons were from the same Germanic stock as the Dutch, as were the Normans and the Norse. So you are more than welcome here provided you show respect to the fatherland, us Britons, and so on.

I've never known an Englander to think England still a “superpower”; if anything, those of us who still allocate time for thinking lament its former glorious state. With regards to languages, many English will never leave Britain for more than a holiday, so why ought they to go to the effort of learning a new language? To learn a new language properly, they'd have to learn how grammar works, linguistics; and if they cannot understand the grammar and etymological history of their own language, how would they cope? It'd be a pointless exercise. And besides, English has become the new Latin: so many people internationally with whom one would be likely to speak (so not in some slums somewhere or in the Amazonian rainforest), they speak English, thus further making learning other languages for the ordinary English fellow completely and utterly pointless. I, as somewhat of a linguist, however, do enjoy looking into other languages, and I also have quite a bit of spare time on my hands with me being at college. Not to mention that French, Spanish and German are taught across England in schools, so to say that there is not opportunity to learn another language is pure tripe; if people want to learn a new language, tell them to make use of the internet or a book-store after learning the mechanisms behind their vernacular first.

You must be in Yorkshire or somewhere likewise further North for Lancashire is quite plentiful in its die-versity, and we constantly have it shoved down our throats via the miseducation-system and the lamestream-media. So we are more than acquainted with the fifty shades of foreigner, thank you. And if you think we don't have folk from other lands “flowing freely” into this land, then you are blind to the lack of immigration-regulation in this country; there are many areas throughout this once pleasant land in which one would be lucky to find a single Englishman (Boltonistan and many parts of Londonistan come to mind).

[video="youtube;uxm1mqbgxcM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxm1mqbgxcM&spfreload=10[/video]
Reply 247
Original post by ProudEnglishman
Don't put quotation marks around “Brit” as if we don't exist. Other than that, I don't know why any Englishman would think any less of you because you're a Dutchman. They seemingly forget that the Anglo-Saxons were from the same Germanic stock as the Dutch, as were the Normans and the Norse. So you are more than welcome here provided you show respect to the fatherland, us Britons, and so on.

I've never known an Englander to think England still a “superpower”; if anything, those of us who still allocate time for thinking lament its former glorious state. With regards to languages, many English will never leave Britain for more than a holiday, so why ought they to go to the effort of learning a new language? To learn a new language properly, they'd have to learn how grammar works, linguistics; and if they cannot understand the grammar and etymological history of their own language, how would they cope? It'd be a pointless exercise. And besides, English has become the new Latin: so many people internationally with whom one would be likely to speak (so not in some slums somewhere or in the Amazonian rainforest), they speak English, thus further making learning other languages for the ordinary English fellow completely and utterly pointless. I, as somewhat of a linguist, however, do enjoy looking into other languages, and I also have quite a bit of spare time on my hands with me being at college. Not to mention that French, Spanish and German are taught across England in schools, so to say that there is not opportunity to learn another language is pure tripe; if people want to learn a new language, tell them to make use of the internet or a book-store after learning the mechanisms behind their vernacular first.

You must be in Yorkshire or somewhere likewise further North for Lancashire is quite plentiful in its die-versity, and we constantly have it shoved down our throats via the miseducation-system and the lamestream-media. So we are more than acquainted with the fifty shades of foreigner, thank you. And if you think we don't have folk from other lands “flowing freely” into this land, then you are blind to the lack of immigration-regulation in this country; there are many areas throughout this once pleasant land in which one would be lucky to find a single Englishman (Boltonistan and many parts of Londonistan come to mind).

[video="youtube;uxm1mqbgxcM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxm1mqbgxcM&spfreload=10[/video]

You are exactly what I like to call an English elitist. Get off your high horse and welcome to the real world.
Original post by queen-bee
Not good enough for this country apparently :tongue:

Oh my god it totally is! Italian and Middle Eastern as a mix sounds amazing
Original post by Master Jack
I agree with the guys tbh you will never be fully british. I was born here however I'd never say I was british when someone asks me about my heritage in a casual conversation I'd rather claim my parents heritage which is 10 times richer and more moral than the degenerate one they have here.

I'm from the middle east too btw.

Which degenerate one?
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Oh my god it totally is! Italian and Middle Eastern as a mix sounds amazing

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Huskaris
I have more time for your average "non native" British person who fully embraces British culture than I do your average "native" British person, I get a feeling of great pride when I see people of all colours waving the flag, or doing things that you would consider "British"

As for people who make no attempt to integrate in the slightest, I don't give a **** about them, and I wish they weren't here.

Simple as that. I think many people are more than willing to accept people from different cultures, and we should be multicultural, but revolving around one culture.

I know it's hard to say exactly what "British values" are, and people obviously love to make fun of Tory politicians when they say that but it is disingenuous, people know the sentiment of what they mean, and in my opinion it really is something that should be encouraged.

I agree
Original post by al_94
You are exactly what I like to call an English elitist. Get off your high horse and welcome to the real world.

What makes me an “English elitist”? I notice how you did not attempt to rebut any of my assertions and instead chose to skip to your lovely engagement in ad hominem.
What makes me an “English elitist”? I notice how you did not attempt to rebut any of my assertions and instead chose to skip to your lovely engagement in ad hominem.

So would you like to see the UK consist of only white natives of the land?

Yes.

Is ad hominem your favourite saying or what?? Learn some more its getting boring:cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 256

I don't need to rebuttal anything you said because I know people with this elitist mentality will not change. How can you deny being an English elitist?
Reply 257

The hypocrisy of people with this mentality is they forget British whites had a major role in the slave trade and colonization so how can they blame non whites when they treated them like animals.
Yes.

What gives you the right to pick and choose races to stay in our country. You're a disgrace to your country you racist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elhm1800
Is ad hominem your favourite saying or what?? Learn some more its getting boring:cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A proper debate cannot be held when ad hominem is at work. Thus cease to engage in your ad hominem attacks, and I shall stop mentioning ad hominem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending