Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Tony Dungy saying stupid things isn't newsworthy, and neither is a former coach admitting they would cheat. Why would there be noise about it? He's not even a current coach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Always will root for an AFC team over an NFC team. Matter of pride.
    Same.

Apart from the Rams, I quite like them.

ReputationRep:
    People's thoughts on the superbowl?

If both teams pay like they did last week then it'll be patriots. If seahawks turn up in the first quarter and not the third then they will win. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Before the playoffs I would have said the Seahawks are kind of perfectly designed to beat the Pats, which is why I didn't really want both of those teams to make it (thought Pats Pack would be a better game). They have the most physical secondary in football which is what you need against NE's timing based offense and they have a mean running game which fronts better than NE's haven't been able to keep up with late in the game. If Seattle play that badly then obviously they won't win, but it's pretty unlikely. I also haven't read anything about Sherman or ET3's status so that could change things if they are limited. ET3 will probably be more valuable in this game than Sherman, purely because the Pats attack the entire field which is what ET3 covers. Sherman usually just plays left corner in a deep third but will be able to man up with any of NE's receivers without too much problem. If he is healthy he will probably pretty much just shut down a guy and play 10v10. I think it could be a Seattle blowout, a close win for NE or anything in between with Seattle being about 55% favourites. My prediction is a close first half (maybe Pats up by 3) followed by the Hawks pulling away to win by a couple of scores as their running game wears people down and Brady gets hit a couple of times.

Subject to change if I pay attention to injury news. I googled ET3 and apparently he will be "fine." Sherman will play, he's saying he won't be limited but y'know..... I would love to see the Pats line up with Gronk out wide on Sherman's side and see how they react. He's the one guy good enough to maybe expose Sherman in man coverage (Edelman is good but I think Sherman is big and athletic enough to give him a lot of problems) especially if Sherman is limited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    Before the playoffs I would have said the Seahawks are kind of perfectly designed to beat the Pats, which is why I didn't really want both of those teams to make it (thought Pats Pack would be a better game). They have the most physical secondary in football which is what you need against NE's timing based offense and they have a mean running game which fronts better than NE's haven't been able to keep up with late in the game. If Seattle play that badly then obviously they won't win, but it's pretty unlikely. I also haven't read anything about Sherman or ET3's status so that could change things if they are limited. ET3 will probably be more valuable in this game than Sherman, purely because the Pats attack the entire field which is what ET3 covers. Sherman usually just plays left corner in a deep third but will be able to man up with any of NE's receivers without too much problem. If he is healthy he will probably pretty much just shut down a guy and play 10v10. I think it could be a Seattle blowout, a close win for NE or anything in between with Seattle being about 55% favourites. My prediction is a close first half (maybe Pats up by 3) followed by the Hawks pulling away to win by a couple of scores as their running game wears people down and Brady gets hit a couple of times.

Subject to change if I pay attention to injury news. I googled ET3 and apparently he will be "fine." Sherman will play, he's saying he won't be limited but y'know..... I would love to see the Pats line up with Gronk out wide on Sherman's side and see how they react. He's the one guy good enough to maybe expose Sherman in man coverage (Edelman is good but I think Sherman is big and athletic enough to give him a lot of problems) especially if Sherman is limited.
    That's a fair assessement.

I want to say Pats by 1-3, but it could easily be Seahawks by 1-3 or 21+....I just don't know where to go...as long as its competitative and the AFC represents...that will be swell.

I think the key battles of the game will be KJ Wright on Gronk, and the Patriots' Front Seven vs. Lynch.
    How will the Patriots respond to try and get Gronk free will be key. I'd expect Gronk to be able to do some damage, and move some chains, but I think KJ Wright will be able to respond.

If Lynch gets 150 yards and 2TDs again, it'll be a blood bath, and you can write that down. To that end, I'd expect Seattle to lean heavily on the run game, and force the Patriots to throw to catch up, and that'll be when the LoB will pounce. That said, the Patriots have a very good pass defense, and a solid rush defense, so it's easier said than done, but Lynch is the best back in the league. I really hope it isn't his last game in a Seahawks uniform, and for one game, hopefully the NFL can appreciate how good he is...without fining him for not speaking to the media and all that...

If the Patriots are to win, they will need to establish their run game against the best rush defense in the league. The Seahawks strength on defense is perceived to be the legion of boom...but for me, it's the front seven. It's not a slight against the Legion of Boom, because this year's version is improved even from last year, but that front seven really impresses me. Their linebackers are fast, which makes them very flexible. They don't have to have their safety man mark Gronk, because their linebackers are so big, and fast. We're talking 4.4-4.5 speed out of 240-250lb linebackers..and that's really impressive.

Other important matchups, for me: can the Patriots D-line keep Russell Wilson bottled up in the pocket? If he's able to get free...it could be curtains for the Patriots. The Seahawks offense is well placed to burn a lot of clock and move the chains, but if Russell Wilson is able to get outside of the pocket, and keep that defense, you'd have to think that a few explosive plays would come up sooner or later, despite the Patriots having an elite secondary.

For the Patriots, Edelman, and Vereen will have to be a factor in the passing game. A lot of short, under-routes, with a lot of YAC potential. The Patriots will have to win the time of possession battle, and keep the chains moving. They have to gas out Seattle's defense...which is much easier said than done.

Should be a good matchup, at least on paper. And it gets better. The Patriots and the Seahawks are good at special teams...if Edelman gets going in the return game, it would make it easier. Brady's good on any sort of long field, but the shorter field, would help them, so they need a good return yardage, possibly even a return touchdown, from Edelman. Can the Seahawks get going on kickoff returns?

In terms of corners, taking out an entire side, in a zone scheme is more useful to a defense that tracking the No.1 receiver. No disrespect to the Patriots' recievers, who are fairly underrated, but tracking like that is when you're facing the elite receivers, like Demaryius Thomas, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant and Jordy Nelson etc.. Wiping out an entire side, (like Revis does incidently), means the safety can cheat over and cover the top. Not that Bryon Maxwell is bad, but having ET3 over his side helps. I personally wouldn't expect Revis or Sherman to track.

ReputationRep:
    Also I like the coaching move my Broncos have made. Getting the D-line coach who worked with Kubiak, fought a bear, and was responsible for turning JJ Watt and Mario Williams into the beasts that they are today, well, that's a good move in my book. Hopefully Pot Roast can stay, but Sylvester Williams and Malik Jackson can show some significant progress.

I just wonder with Wade-Phillips being linked with a return, whether it signifies a return to the 3-4. I personally prefer the 3-4 as it's more flexible, or even some sort of hybrid scheme...

but, on first, second down situations:

LDE: Malik Jackson/Derek Wolfe
    NT: Terrence Knighton
    RDE: Mich Unrein;

Sam: Von Miller
    Jack: Nate Irving (or replacement)
    Mike: Brandon Marshall
    Will: Danny Trevathan

and nickel:

LDE: Malik Jackson
    NT: Sylvester Williams (false nose)
    RDE: Demarcus Ware

Sam: von Miller (on the LOS, where he would usually be at end, but designated as Sam)
    "Jack": TJ Ward (walked up from SS)
    Mike: Brandon Marshall
    Will: Danny Trevathan

with Chris Harris Jr. as the slot corner, and Roby and Talib on the outside, and a FS (Rahim Moore is probably a goner.)

The Patriots are good because they use 3-4 sometimes, and 4-3 sometimes, can beat you passing it 40 times, or can beat you rushing 40 times. They can use Gronk one match, and then lean on Edelman, or LaFell, or even their other TEs sometimes. They may use a dose of Blount...or Gray...or Ridley or Shane Vareen to beat you. That's what the Broncos should be aiming for, and flexiublity on defense, and different ways to win. The emergence of CJ Anderson was good this season, and I want to see what he can do next season, and the Broncos can do that leaning on certain players in some games, but the negative and telegraphic play calling, on offense as well as defense has to go out of the window. The DC, whoever he is, has to be aggressive in his play calling. I prefer a 3-3-5 nickel alignment, to a 4-2-5 as well, because with the right personnel it basically becomes the 3-4. I think we have that personnel, and need to do better on defense.

Getting mean in the trenches with Bill Kollar (even sounds like he wrestles bears) is a good start, although, to be honest, I wonder how good of a fit the big o-line which the broncos have is with Kubiak's zone block scheme. Zone Block, correct me if I'm wrong Smash Concept...is more suited to the smaller faster o-linemen...

ReputationRep:
    Disagree with the whole Sherman on edelman. Edelman is exactly the kind of receiver to give him fits. Someone who is explosive laterally which is exactly what julian is. Seahawks are better off putting Sherman on LaFell.

Also of course the whole ET 3 says he's "fine" that's bull crap. You don't recover from a dislocated shoulder that fast. It takes a lot longer than two weeks to be back to full effectiveness. If I was gronk or Blount id try target Thomas to see just how good his shoulder is.

People are saying the Seahawks could shut down the pats. Could just as easily say that about the pats. Seahawks offense is nothing compared to the Pats. Baldwin will be on Revis island all day. Early vacation for him.

Nervous but I think we can pull it out. We should be able to run on them to set up the play action.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    In terms of corners, taking out an entire side, in a zone scheme is more useful to a defense that tracking the No.1 receiver. No disrespect to the Patriots' recievers, who are fairly underrated, but tracking like that is when you're facing the elite receivers, like Demaryius Thomas, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant and Jordy Nelson etc.. Wiping out an entire side, (like Revis does incidently), means the safety can cheat over and cover the top. Not that Bryon Maxwell is bad, but having ET3 over his side helps. I personally wouldn't expect Revis or Sherman to track.
    I think in this game without a star receiver it's definitely true, but to be honest ET3 has such great range (assuming healthy) that he doesn't need to cheat. I DEFINITELY don't expect Sherman to track much if at all, and if he does it would only be to give the Pats something extra to think about. LaFell is just kind of not good enough to justify it and Edelman and Gronk line up in the slot too often to make it practical and Gronk may outmatch him anyway on certain routes. Plus Sherman is not great in man coverage anyway compared to other elite corners (I still don't think Edelman burns him much in Sherman's normal position). I could see Revis tracking Baldwin more often, partly because single coverage on the best receiver gives you more options to stop the run.

I think I see a low scoring first half. In such a big game I don't think either running game will get off to an explosive start. I'm not sure Lynch is the best back in the league (Murray was better this season IMO) but he is the most physically punishing, and that's why he finishes so strong so often. Blount is kind of the same but a less good version.

Agree that the Pats probably have slightly better specials too and possibly enough to make the difference in a close game. I'm kind of a broken record on this but as usual the Pats I think the biggest question is pressure on Brady. Clean pocket he kills you, with guys in his face he drops off a lot more rapidly than other QBs. Hawks will have a little more time to get pressure because of their outstanding secondary, but maybe not much more than people think. Especially if they play mostly C3 which I guess they still do, Brady will be well equipped to find holes in those zones.

ReputationRep:
    I was playing John Madden Football '92 on a Genesis emulator to decide the winner of the game...

Spoiler:
    Show
    According to Madden '92, the Pats will have Brady injured on a bootleg, the Seahawks will go up 3-0, due to strong Pats defense, and poor QB play...Lynch will be hit a lot, and bottled up for most part, but have some big runs...and will still need many people to tackle him. So...after a scoreless Q3, and a field goal to go 6-0 up with 1:55 on the clock, the Patriots with no time outs will march down the field...hitting some deep balls for the first time in the game. (Brady nor Jimmy could hit deep...the pass rush was just too good...)

Some questionable decision making later...with some run plays...gives them about 46 yards to march down the field, with 36s on the clock. Game on the line...they check to run...they get 10 yards. 15s on the clock, Jimmy Garropolo hits his receiver in stride. The extra point is good. 2s on the clock. The Patriots squib the kick...the Seahawks pick it up, saving it from going out of bounds. And then the cannons go off to signify that the game is over.

Yes...the Patriots won 7-6.

Hopefully, it will be close. I did make a video...but the sound is out of sync...I can post if y'all want...:P

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha if Brady gets injured on a bootleg BB will go from being considered the best coach in the game to the worst in one play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    Hahaha if Brady gets injured on a bootleg BB will go from being considered the best coach in the game to the worst in one play.
    I can'r remember whether it was an intentional bootleg or a QB sneak gone very wrong. However, Madden '92 is infamous for the ambulance which comes on a runs over a bunch of the players to get to the injured player.

And there wasn't 15 seconds left, for the final play, there was 9s left. I thought I had some timeouts left...so I called some runs...Oops.

ReputationRep:

Great video

Also still waiting for Goodell to nail us. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to your daily "player says something stupid" update http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/1/2...wner-break-arm

ReputationRep:
    Marshawn Lynch is a legend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cant_think_of_name)
    Marshawn Lynch is a legend
    You may enjoy this...http://speaksmo.de/

It's a sound board of his various interviews...

ReputationRep:
    Really dont see why Marshawn cant answer his interviews like that. NFL rules are bogus.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Great interview.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I think if the NFL really wants Media Day taken seriously by all the players then it needs to get rid of the fancy dress and not have Chya Mayo asking Stalin what his favourite stuffed animal is. That would make media day suck though. Chya was brilliant, fancy dress is always entertaining, without the fun light hearted bits, media day would just be an unending press conference which nobody would want to watch. If the NFL really can't hack Marshawn Lynch answering 29/29 questions 'I'm just here so I don't get fined' then they should suspend him from the Superbowl. Only really *****y Americans who endorse corporate slavery would see that as a good result but given the craziness and continuous blunders of Commish this year would anyone be surprised?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Man it's such bull****. Little known fact: last season Lynch NEVER appeared for the media. The NFL had a rule that it was a fineable offense, but that they never acted unless it was actually reported to them. The Seattle media never had a problem, but in the playoffs when the national media showed up those ****ing hacks reported him to the league and started this whole business. And you know what the worst worst worst thing is? Well answer this question: when was the last time you even looked at a post game quote from a player who wasn't Marshawn Lynch? Exactly. You don't really give a **** about someone's sincere answer to some dumb **** question like "what do you think about the way your team mates blocked today?" Neither do I, neither does anyone else. This stuff Lynch is doing gets more attention, gives people more to write about, allows old white men to sell their outrage to other old white men for more money than anything else out there. As cool as Marshawn looks, the media are winning this game and it's not even close. I would much prefer it if they just all gathered for a party in Peter King's Manhattan apartment and choked on the smog of latte breath and self righteousness so that this rightfully dying industry could just snuff out once and for all.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.