Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay84)
    Do you have two healthy kidneys? I find it hard to understand why you don't sell one of them when you have the ability to make good money for it.

You have the ability to live a comfortable lifestyle with one kidney yet choose to walk around with two and pass up on the extra cash. Are you just scared?

An extreme analogy perhaps but the same point applies.
    How much and where do I sign up. Even so, this is irrelevant, anyone could feasibly do this out of desperation, I'm not desperate.

(Original post by AimeeGleek123)
    Why is going into teaching lazy??????
    Just in example I'm using relative to the usually rigorous environment of the well paid professions.

Despite what people say it's a much easier lifestyle than those 18 hour days in the office working on multi-million pound deals.

ReputationRep:
    Mo money mo tax

ReputationRep:
    Everyone wants to be 'well paid', but there is a balance between how much you get paid and whether you enjoy the job. I want to get paid well, but at the same time, I want to do something that I can wake up ever morning about and be excited for. If this sort of job means sacrificing a potential pay that I could get working 9 to 5 in an awful place, I'd take it.

ReputationRep:
    I want to be the guy creating these 50k jobs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gottoobee)
    Mo money mo tax
    HSBC *cough* say what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    How much and where do I sign up. Even so, this is irrelevant, anyone could feasibly do this out of desperation, I'm not desperate.
    Probably around 25k.

Its not irrelevant, it was an analogy.

One of the points I was trying to make was given in your response - many people aren't desperate enough for over 50k pa to do certain jobs which are too boring/pressured/are too many hours/would require leaving their hometown etc. It isn't just a case of laziness just as refusing to sell organs isn't just about fear.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Multiple and summer offer, however, that's not the point of this thread.
    Clearly the definition of success. :rolleyes:

Dude, you need to chill out. It seems the obnoxious, patronising posts have sky rocketed now you're out of the "ghetto". Honestly, you are way too young to be judging people on their life choices. You have neither the basis nor the wisdom to dictate how others want to live their lives.

We get it, you are at uni, you have some internships in the bag - big whoop. Try to do something more admirable than brag about your cliche rags to riches story.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Clearly the definition of success. :rolleyes:

Dude, you need to chill out. It seems the obnoxious, patronising posts have sky rocketed now you're out of the "ghetto". Honestly, you are way too young to be judging people on their life choices. You have neither the basis nor the wisdom to dictate how others want to live their lives.

We get it, you are at uni, you have some internships in the bag - big whoop. Try to do something more admirable than brag about your cliche rags to riches story.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Boredom + TSR, noone cares anyway so why not exaggerate some accomplishments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Which firm, out of interest?
    Macfarlanes
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Boredom + TSR, noone cares anyway so why not exaggerate some accomplishments.
    You're just trolling for the bantz then? Fair enough, to each their own.

ReputationRep:
    I was in a care environment getting £7.65 an hour.. Not a bad wage for being a carer with an NVQ. I left that place and I am now a house keeper for minimum wage - and I am a lot happier. It just goes to show that money does not equal happiness because the job I was in prior to that was the most stressful job I have ever been in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Being ambitious is a burden

ReputationRep:
    I really find it hard to understand why people go for low paid jobs when they seem to have the intellectual capability to aim for industries which are relatively well-paid.

I see students who have the credentials and the profile potential to enter industries such as law, investment banking being etc.. but instead choose to go into places such as teaching. Are they just lazy?

So if you do intend to get out of bed for a job that pays less than £50k a year and you're smart (i.e flawless grades/credible uni/strong ECs), why? what's your motivation?

inb4, "it's my passion".

Because some of us are not slaves to money. They do whatever career they want for their own interests. If the career happens to pay well, that's quite a convenient bonus.

It's quite obvious the only reason you would be interested in a job is because it pays well. Haha. You're stuck inside the system, thinking grades=smart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    Macfarlanes
    Yeah figures. Good firm, though.

ReputationRep:
    Well wriggled out of. However, I think it's obvious this has stumped you. Why wouldn't you want more money? Stop making excuses. That's your philosophy, right?

those 18 hour days in the office working on multi-million pound deals.
    Ah. Someone fancies themselves as a bit of a Gordon Gekko.

You're either a transparent troll, or a somewhat shallow, obnoxious individual.

ReputationRep:
    For someone who is supposed to be so intelligent and successful you sure seem a bit dense and ignorant to other people's views and priorities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    For someone who is supposed to be so intelligent and successful you sure seem a bit dense and ignorant to other people's views and priorities.
    Neither, just hardworking. I'm not at all ignorant, I just question the authenticity of their statements.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely want a high paying career that is also stimulating. Hence why I am aiming for a career in Investment Banking/Corporate Law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonynmous)
    I definitely want a high paying career that is also stimulating. Hence why I am aiming for a career in Investment Banking/Corporate Law.
    According to the rest of the forum, you will be forever sad so instead you should go into teaching.

ReputationRep:
    According to the rest of the forum, you will be forever sad so instead you should go into teaching.
    Your comments are becoming increasingly obtuse. I'm calling troll on this one.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.