Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which party do you plan to vote for in the General Election? Jan-Feb opinion poll Watch

• View Poll Results: Which party are you planning to vote for?
    Conservative
    22.74%
    Labour
    23.58%
    Liberal Democrats
    5.89%
    UKIP
    10.53%
    SNP
    3.16%
    Sinn Féin
    1.05%
    Green Party
    24.63%
    Plaid Cymru
    0.42%
    SDLP
    0.63%
    DUP
    0.84%
    Independent
    0.63%
    Alliance
    0.21%
    Respect
    0.42%
    Other (please state in a post)
    0.84%
    Not voting
    4.42%

ReputationRep:
    They've been saying that since the 1920's and as shale proves, we can develop alternatives.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    They've been saying that since the 1920's and as shale proves, we can develop alternatives.
    Don't forget the boy who cried wolf was right in the end.
    And I hope you don't mean frack instead of renewable development

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd do both as we are.

The fact is that right now geothermal in the UK is not well developed and we don't yet have monochromatic solar power. And that's just on top of new nuclear for the base load. Until that is the case, let us track and export any surplus.

Between space mining and Antarctica I'm optimistic about available resources.

ReputationRep:
    I'd do both as we are.

The fact is that right now geothermal in the UK is not well developed and we don't yet have monochromatic solar power. And that's just on top of new nuclear for the base load. Until that is the case, let us track and export any surplus.

(Original post by Aph)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Plus, nuclear fusion will likely be viable later this century If we can get that producing, we'll be practically fine for energy needs.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by nich01as)
    Plus, nuclear fusion will likely be viable later this century If we can get that producing, we'll be practically fine for energy needs.
    Yes fusion is the one thing I do hold out hope for but we need to seriously invest in it first
    I'd do both as we are.

Geothermal isnt viable in the UK due to the lack of volcanic activity which any A-level geographer can tell you.

We van never mine Antarctica or the arctic for obvious reasons and there are serious issues with space mining
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Yes fusion is the one thing I do hold out hope for but we need to seriously invest in it first

Geothermal isnt viable in the UK due to the lack of volcanic activity which any A-level geographer can tell you.

We van never mine Antarctica or the arctic for obvious reasons and there are serious issues with space mining
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Geothermal is underway in Cornwall and western Scotland, you don't need volcanoes.

While generating electricity is a problem, we could produce all our heating in the UK from geothermal.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Geothermal is underway in Cornwall and western Scotland, you don't need volcanoes.

While generating electricity is a problem, we could produce all our heating in the UK from geothermal.
    I must admit that is news to me so I'll look into that.

Aye if what you say is true. If we could ween people away from using so much light too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I must admit that is news to me so I'll look into that.

Aye if what you say is true. If we could ween people away from using so much light too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We've also been discussing with Iceland the prospect of importing 20% of our electricity from their geothermal resources.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    We've also been discussing with Iceland the prospect of importing 20% of our electricity from their geothermal resources.
    Yes I know about the hydrogen pipes. And Thats a good thing we should focus on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What are each party actually proposing?

ReputationRep:
    If I was an UKian, than I would vote UKIP. They are the only patriotic party.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by zgb1)
    If I was an UKian, than I would vote UKIP. They are the only patriotic party.
    Patriotism is bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Patriotism is bad
    I take this as sarcasm.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by zgb1)
    I take this as sarcasm.
    Nope patriotism is bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Nope patriotism is bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Seeing as you hate this country so much why don't you just leave? I don't want, as most people won't, people living in this country who refuse to support and help it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by 10001)
    Seeing as you hate this country so much why don't you just leave? I don't want, as most people won't, people living in this country who refuse to support and help it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    One I don't hate this country but the idea of countries.
    And what do you mean 'refuse to support and help it'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    One I don't hate this country but the idea of countries.
    And what do you mean 'refuse to support and help it'
    Well patriotism is bad, apparently. In which case I doubt you would support Britain if there was another war. I'm very patriotic and proud of it. There is nothing wrong wit patriotism; you should want to defend your country and for the country to prosper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by 10001)
    Well patriotism is bad, apparently. In which case I doubt you would support Britain if there was another war. I'm very patriotic and proud of it. There is nothing wrong wit patriotism; you should want to defend your country and for the country to prosper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wouldn't fight no, but that's because I'm a pacifist.
    the issue with countries and partitiosm is that it makes a 'them and us' attitude and counties are a system of archaic borders based on history and basicly 'we don't like them so we won't work with them' attitudes. Countries are relics of an old world which we should have left behind long ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I wouldn't fight no, but that's because I'm a pacifist.
    the issue with countries and partitiosm is that it makes a 'them and us' attitude and counties are a system of archaic borders based on history and basicly 'we don't like them so we won't work with them' attitudes. Countries are relics of an old world which we should have left behind long ago.
    So you want one government ruling 7 billion people huh? Not very practical. And there will always be discontent with whoever is elected because he/she won't represent all social groups. No, individual nations is the right way forward. Each country should mind its own business and focus on achieving development within the country. Of course we should help out poorer countries, but putting everyone under one roof will only make matters worse. Your idea will never start up; nobody would agree to it and countries are always fighting over land: take Russia and Ukraine at the moment. Your idea is simply not practical.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by 10001)
    So you want one government ruling 7 billion people huh? Not very practical. And there will always be discontent with whoever is elected because he/she won't represent all social groups. No, individual nations is the right way forward. Each country should mind its own business and focus on achieving development within the country. Of course we should help out poorer countries, but putting everyone under one roof will only make matters worse. Your idea will never start up; nobody would agree to it and countries are always fighting over land: take Russia and Ukraine at the moment. Your idea is simply not practical.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I'd also ideally like the population to reduce down to 4 billion.
    again that's a 'them and us' issue where people belive they are better then others just because they were born in London not Paris.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.