x Turn on thread page Beta

If someone offered you a £250k or a first class Oxbridge degree? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: £250k or Oxbridge degree
    Money
    48.77%
    Degree
    37.52%
    Money - this is TSR, everyone already goes to Oxbridge?!
    13.71%

ReputationRep:
    What's the point of a degree for free?

So you can get into investment banking? And once you're there, people will realise you're nowhere near as smart as you should be, and you will languish in your career or get fired.

So you can pursue your dream PhD? Until you and everyone else realises that you don't have the brain for it with your fake degree.

ReputationRep:
    You must be a ignorant ****rd to pick the degree to a £250k check, especially in the century we live in with it's abundant entrepreneurial opportunities

ReputationRep:
    Money hands down; I'd imagine its easier to get into Oxbridge for certain courses than to get 250K

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Indeed. So many of the science fellows at Oxbridge seem non-Oxbridge graduates themselves!
    I don't get a lot of Oxford or Cambridge studies through as I'm based in London but when I have seen them (e.g. if they've been transferred to me) I agree that science fellows at these unis tend to be either other RG or London unis, or unis abroad even. I would be interested to know why this is. is Oxbridge less focused on research?

(Original post by infairverona)
    I don't get a lot of Oxford or Cambridge studies through as I'm based in London but when I have seen them (e.g. if they've been transferred to me) I agree that science fellows at these unis tend to be either other RG or London unis, or unis abroad even. I would be interested to know why this is. is Oxbridge less focused on research?
    Nah, I think it's the opppsite. They're heavily research-based in themselves but maybe Oxbridge undergraduates are less interested in research :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damien_Dalgaard)
    But then I can be in with the cool kids on TSR who went Cambridge.

Also networking
    What about the even cooler kids who went to Oxford? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I think it's the opppsite. They're heavily research-based in themselves but maybe Oxbridge undergraduates are less interested in research :dontknow:
    I'm not sure many undergraduates are that interested in research. I never was until I started working in it, haha

ReputationRep:
    Money. What's the point in just having a certificate saying you got a first from Oxbridge? If you didn't go there and didn't do that degree then a piece of paper is pretty worthless as you won't have the skills and experience that goes with it.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is very old (1 year). Who brought it back to life?

ReputationRep:
    Money no doubt.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Take the money then use some of to fund a real degree at Imperial, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Bristol et al. Best of both worlds.

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    That's a nice joke :teehee:

(Original post by infairverona)
    I'm not sure many undergraduates are that interested in research. I never was until I started working in it, haha
    Lmao I was fully certain I'd like to go straight into research after, now I'm like, maybe I'll work for a year or two first

ReputationRep:
    I voted for the money. I was initially inclined to vote for the degree, but then I thought, 'Surely a degree should be earned?' I would not want to have an amazing degree without having actually earned it myself with hard work, perseverance and dedication.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Logical+impossibility

ReputationRep:
    I would take the degree. 250k is nice but I would like to get a first class degree from oxbridge so I would get hired for doing something I love.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by humanteaparty)
    I would take the degree. 250k is nice but I would like to get a first class degree from oxbridge so I would get hired for doing something I love.
    Assuming a degree = automatic job offer lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Assuming a degree = automatic job offer lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    First class degree from oxbridge? -> Automatic job offer

ReputationRep:
    Lmao I was fully certain I'd like to go straight into research after, now I'm like, maybe I'll work for a year or two first
    That's good though because you can get good work experience etc. I wish I'd considered research, I wish I'd done science so I could actually do proper research
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by humanteaparty)
    First class degree from oxbridge? -> Automatic job offer
    Not on earth, maybe mars?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.