Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezme39)
    Hi everyone, I currently have two offers and I'm waiting to hear from a third, but I'm starting to worry about the health questionnaires. I've had anorexia within the past 12 months, not hospitalised but a BMI below 16. Essentially, I'm wondering if they can reject me based on this? I'm recovering now, and my GP can vouch for me being of sound mind etc. does anyone know about this? :-)
    I'm sure it'll be okay. I've had some problems with self harm related stuff but it was over a year ago now so I think it'll be fine. They can't discriminate against you based on that, which is why they send you the health questionnaire after the offer. It's just to keep themselves informed in case anything were to go wrong or whatever I think

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard anything from Durham?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boods8897)
    Anyone heard anything from Durham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    According to the newcastle thread, durham offers should be out tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Do many medics have part time jobs?
    I was thinking of carrying on my retail job on the weekends when I start uni, thoughts?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by curtis110)
    Do many medics have part time jobs?
    I was thinking of carrying on my retail job on the weekends when I start uni, thoughts?
    I was also thinking the same as it would be the only way I could keep my car and also live at university financially stable!!

I work 12 hours a week and it I get an offer from Cardiff would love to transfer stores for term time??!?!?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    I was also thinking the same as it would be the only way I could keep my car and also live at university financially stable!!

I work 12 hours a week and it I get an offer from Cardiff would love to transfer stores for term time??!?!?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ya I'm in my second year of med school and I work in holidays and every weekend! And yes it means I can have my car and spend obscene amounts on holidays and festivals. So if you have a job and want to keep it, I highly doubt it will impact you negatively in terms of studying. Unless you need to dedicate every waking moment to studying in order to pass. Then maybe give it up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KA125)
    Ya I'm in my second year of med school and I work in holidays and every weekend! And yes it means I can have my car and spend obscene amounts on holidays and festivals. So if you have a job and want to keep it, I highly doubt it will impact you negatively in terms of studying. Unless you need to dedicate every waking moment to studying in order to pass. Then maybe give it up
    This is reassuring! I didn't think id have time for a job
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JMJ_1996)
    This is reassuring! I didn't think id have time for a job
    Same here, but I suppose there is hope for us poor med students who need to work to get by lol!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KA125)
    Good to hear, I won't be taking my car and I'll have plenty saved up from working on my gap year anyway

I just don't want to spend all my savings on nights out lol

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I'm hopefully applying for medicine this year (if I get the grades!) and am kinda panicking as I don't have nearly as much work experience as some of the people on here. I have been volunteering in a hospice every other week for nearly a year, but because I'm not 18 yet I haven't had any patient contact, simply took families to patients rooms and made tea ect. However, when I turn 18 (May) I can become a ward volunteer and feed patients and talk to them ect. which I can do over the Summer prior to my application. Also, I am waiting to hear back from my hospital about a weeks work experience I'm hoping to get over the Summer. My GP couldn't help me out with anything):

Also, I am taking a gap year (as a year 13 applicant) and so I am going to try and get a full time job in care, hopefully to start in the Summer, would this look good and count as experience?

Sorry for the essay but any advice would be so greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Fern

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowacin)
    Hi everyone!

I'm hopefully applying for medicine this year (if I get the grades!) and am kinda panicking as I don't have nearly as much work experience as some of the people on here. I have been volunteering in a hospice every other week for nearly a year, but because I'm not 18 yet I haven't had any patient contact, simply took families to patients rooms and made tea ect. However, when I turn 18 (May) I can become a ward volunteer and feed patients and talk to them ect. which I can do over the Summer prior to my application. Also, I am waiting to hear back from my hospital about a weeks work experience I'm hoping to get over the Summer. My GP couldn't help me out with anything):

Also, I am taking a gap year (as a year 13 applicant) and so I am going to try and get a full time job in care, hopefully to start in the Summer, would this look good and count as experience?

Fern
    I wouldn't worry if I was you. What you're doing now and will be doing (ward volunteer) is much better than work experience because you're developing your interpersonal skills. The work experience is just to prove that you have had some in depth insight into the career. I had 5 placements and still didn't get in the first year. Lol. To get in u just need good stats to get interviews and then a good interview to get the offer and then the required A2 grades to secure the place.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

Fern
    Hello! Good luck, it's a hard process, but you sound as though you're already preparing which is key.

It's not about having 20 different types of work experience if you can't say anything you learnt about it! One really useful experience that you have reflected on, is better than a great long list! When you're writing your personal statement make sure you remember this. Even working in a shop gives valuable experience relatable to Medicine, teamwork, communication, attention to detail, reliability, responsibility..

Make sure you meet the entry requirements of your chosen places. Carefully check through the selection criteria of each University and make a list of the ones you can realistically get an interview for. Then choose the places you like the look of most from that list, don't pick for prestige or friends, ultimately they're all good schools, and you'll do best where you're suited and happy!

Remember you only need one offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haider302)
    I wouldn't worry if I was you. What you're doing now and will be doing (ward volunteer) is much better than work experience because you're developing your interpersonal skills. The work experience is just to prove that you have had some in depth insight into the career. I had 5 placements and still didn't get in the first year. Lol. To get in u just need good stats to get interviews and then a good interview to get the offer and then the required A2 grades to secure the place.
    Thank you! I'm hoping that applying this year when I will already have my A2 grades will be a bit of a help to get an interview, as well as the work experience. Do you not think it would matter too much if I don't get the hospital week? I'm not sure the volunteering will be enough as I won't be shadowing doctors...

(Original post by LittleDonkey)
    Hello! Good luck, it's a hard process, but you sound as though you're already preparing which is key.

It's not about having 20 different types of work experience if you can't say anything you learnt about it! One really useful experience that you have reflected on, is better than a great long list! When you're writing your personal statement make sure you remember this. Even working in a shop gives valuable experience relatable to Medicine, teamwork, communication, attention to detail, reliability, responsibility..

Make sure you meet the entry requirements of your chosen places. Carefully check through the selection criteria of each University and make a list of the ones you can realistically get an interview for. Then choose the places you like the look of most from that list, don't pick for prestige or friends, ultimately they're all good schools, and you'll do best where you're suited and happy!

Remember you only need one offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh thank you for your help! I understand that it's more what you get from the experience than the amount, but I'm worried I won't have enough actual doctor shadowing type stuff to see what a doctor does? It's so hard!!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=lowacin;54530841]Thank you! I'm hoping that applying this year when I will already have my A2 grades will be a bit of a help to get an interview, as well as the work experience. Do you not think it would matter too much if I don't get the hospital week? I'm not sure the volunteering will be enough as I won't be shadowing doctors...

Take it from someone who has done 8 interviews in total. It will be enough to answer the possible questions they may throw at you. Obviously try and get proper work experience but ur volunteer work will prove so much more valuable at interview. Also all medical schools understand that it's extremely difficult to secure such placements, whilst there's no excuse for a lack of voluntary work as they are needed everywhere. The only reason I did so much work experience was coz I knew people who cud get me the placements.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh thank you for your help! I understand that it's more what you get from the experience than the amount, but I'm worried I won't have enough actual doctor shadowing type stuff to see what a doctor does? It's so hard!!
    I had done volunteering in a hospice and a school for disabled kids before my first two interviews - and that was all I had done, pretty much. I drew on experience for part time work for some of the questions as well. (One offer from that, so it can't have mattered too much ) I was lucky enough that by the time of my third interview I had actually managed to spend a week in a hospital - and I'm not 18 yet! If you keep emailing people, eventually they tend to let you do it haha. Most hospitals also have a volunteer scheme set up, or someone who's in charge of that kind of thing, so if you can get their number, use it. I managed to get in because a breast care consultant surgeon did a talk at my college and she agreed to be 'in charge' of me whilst I was there.

ReputationRep:
    Just got rejection from Durham. Not very optimistic now considering that was the interview I thought went best :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

I just wanted to ask for some advice! I've got two offers for Medicine (from Leeds and Durham) but which one do you guys think I should opt for? I mean I heard that after two years at Durham you have to join the Newcastle Medics and that is where you will graduate but I don't know...I need advice please! Hahaha!

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 08rgill)
    Hey everyone!

I just wanted to ask for some advice! I've got two offers for Medicine (from Leeds and Durham) but which one do you guys think I should opt for? I mean I heard that after two years at Durham you have to join the Newcastle Medics and that is where you will graduate but I don't know...I need advice please! Hahaha!

Thanks in advance!
    I would definitely recognise leeds, I know tonnes of people that are there and I think you'd be rly secluded in durham and Stockton isn't rly a great area. The leeds course is also much more established

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMJ_1996)
    I would definitely recognise leeds, I know tonnes of people that are there and I think you'd be rly secluded in durham and Stockton isn't rly a great area. The leeds course is also much more established
    Thanks!! Yeah I was thinking that! Stockton did seem a bit isolated, but some people like that I suppose! I mean everyone talks about prestige and I think Leeds is also highly reputed as Durham/Newcastle when it comes to Medicine!

ReputationRep:
    Advice please! Got two offers- Keele and HYMS. I really don't know which to go for... they're both over 3hrs from home, and they're both PBL. Are either of them considered more prestigious? I'm looking at costs etc tomorrow, so just looking for opinions and thoughts thank youu

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 13, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.