Turn on thread page Beta

Both my parents haven't worked since the 1980s and I've got a Cambridge offer AMA watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by All_TheCyanide)
    "Omg I got A* grades look at me"

Hey

Guess what?

You're still going to die and rot in the ground or burn in a cremation oven.
    I know I think a lot about death its really scary isn't it? but that is what will happen to my body not necessarily what will happen to you after death, we don't know what happens to us(our souls) when we die but there is a lot of evidence for reincarnation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyou)
    How do you motivate yourself to study and get the highest grades? I've always had a dilemma with motivation when it comes to studying; is it the satisfaction of succeeding which motivates you or something else?
    I am often motivated by trying to prove myself better than other people,I can't bare people doing better than me even though a lot do across the country but I am generally top of my classes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarvingAutist)
    They do matter: they allow you to get into a good university. A good university means you can get a graduate degree at a well-funded university. This means you can get a career in academia with a team of equally/more high-achieving people and potentially make a groundbreaking discovery.
    That would certainly matter once you died, and it would boil down to previous academic achievement.
    You wouldn't be there to see how this matters when you die though, from a philosophical point of view I don't get why people are somehow satisfied so much by being remembered in the future I would like to be but its not enough for me, as I would have no knowledge of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    I know I think a lot about death its really scary isn't it? but that is what will happen to my body not necessarily what will happen to you after death, we don't know what happens to us(our souls) when we die but there is a lot of evidence for reincarnation.
    It depends on how you look at it. I'm not scared of death, only of dying alone and never having a chance to say goodbye.

I love the idea of reincarnation, and I'd love for it to be true. It would explain a lot too.

I think I read somewhere about a 9 year old boy who was born with a birthmark on his head. Ever since he could talk, he spoke about how he was murdered in his past life. He even took his parents to the body. The birthmark was in the same place that the axe mark on the skull of the body was, and he confronted the murderer, who was then found to be guilty and was arrested.

You could argue that this is made up, but there are plenty of other stories and it's awesome to think about.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, but even highly intelligent people can have weaknesses in subject areas. Mine was always maths, and some of the most intelligent students at my school couldn't do English to save their lives.

My point is, there will always be variation in grades and making people feel bad about them is wrong. Life is way too short to be hung up over grades to the point where it consumes your life.

A Levels are a bit different, but GCSE grades are fine. You don't need all A* grades.
    Seems a bit contradictory to me how intelligent you are is defined by how well you do in generally academic subjects at GCSE the most important are Maths and English so not doing well in one would really put a dent into how intelligent they really are-to be intelligent you have to show ability across a lot of subjects you can't really be intelligent if you struggle badly with Maths/English.At my school the best did well in all the subjects I pretty much had the same competitors for all my subjects and I got A*s in both Maths and English(a year early) proving my intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCMFM16)
    I agree. On the first GCSE chat thread someone asked him if he would share his notes. He then replied saying no which lead the other user called him selfish. Then right after he wrote a full essay on his life successes etc which started off with "Do you not know who I am?!"
    I almost died of laughter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebony19)
    I thought you meant UKIP for a minute there. What party or political position were you representing?
    You don't represent political parties in the UKYP or at least you didn't when I was in you just stand to be elected.

ReputationRep:
    Seems a bit contradictory to me how intelligent you are is defined by how well you do in generally academic subjects at GCSE the most important are Maths and English so not doing well in one would really put a dent into how intelligent they really are-to be intelligent you have to show ability across a lot of subjects you can't really be intelligent if you struggle badly with Maths/English.At my school the best did well in all the subjects I pretty much had the same competitors for all my subjects and I got A*s in both Maths and English(a year early) proving my intelligence.
    Bull****. I struggle with maths but this does not mean that I am unintelligent. It simply means that I didn't learn it correctly (possibly down to shoddy teaching) and I have a general difficulty processing numbers regardless. I think I may need to get tested for dyscalculia.

These people are highly intelligent, you may even meet them at Cambridge. They just can't think in the way that is required for English, particularly A Level English, and some of them struggle to write essays. That doesn't mean that they are unintelligent.

There are studies that show that you can have a strength in the arts, languages and humanities such as English and history yet not be as strong at sciences and maths because they require different areas of the brain. I'm naturally better at the humanities, languages and arts but I'm pretty good at the sciences too (except for chemistry, but this can be improved with revision since that's all I need to do to improve).

You may have an A* in English GCSE, but the way you communicate your ideas isn't very fluent, with all due respect.

ReputationRep:
    I am incredulous that you got a Cambridge offer if you think there is evidence for reincarnation. That is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Do you feel from your insecurities in the outside world (little to no mates, social anxiety, whatever else), you vent on to TSR to become; arrogant and act above everyone? to make yourself feel better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BorrenWuffet)
    I am incredulous that you got a Cambridge offer if you think there is evidence for reincarnation. That is ridiculous.
    There's about as much evidence for reincarnation as there is the existence of any religious deity. I'd be surprised if you were to say the same thing to a Muslim or a Christian, though.

ReputationRep:
    There's about as much evidence for reincarnation as there is the existence of any religious deity. I'd be surprised if you were to say the same thing to a Muslim or a Christian, though.
    There is much much more evidence for reincarnation than typical deities, which there is pretty much no evidence for except their religious books which aren't evidence, contrary to the beliefs of the followers of those religions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BorrenWuffet)
    There are thousands of heavily evidenced cases I think you should look through them all and disprove them all.They all have almost indisputable evidence like a very young girl being able to make her way around a place she had never been too and know private family things that they wouldn't be able to know unless they were that reincarnated person as the family told noone(there are much much better forms of evidence for these cases) and most reincarnation cases consist of tonnes of evidence that is pretty much indisputable that adds up to give reincarnation as a realistic possibility.Scientists usually use the excuses that its all made up or that there is no scientific evidence, when in some cases such as reincarnation a scientific test isn't really viable and non-scientific evidence is used in law cases and the reincarnation story of a police officer had more evidence than in typical murder trials.Just one of these reincarnation stories has to be true for the concept to be correct, with the other people's incorrect stories meaning they must be someone else reincarnated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    Cambridge offer substantial aid to all students. On a personal level, I attend Pembroke College, and come from a financially disadvantaged background. I was a Free School Meals recipient at school, and my parents cannot really afford to help me out like some parents can. Between the basic government funding and the various things offered by the college I can afford to live comfortably (As in, highest price band accommodation, eat catered every day, go out occasionally if I like) and still save money over the course of the term. Don't underestimate the level of support there is; thanks to how generous the university is, money has never been a concern to me here.

And don't knock supervisions; no matter how independent you are you shouldn't say no to the opportunity to learn something one-to-one from a true expert in the field you're studying.

As for "if employers value other less academically pushy universities as highly...", you said it yourself: if. I do not purport to be an employer and am willing to listen to any arguments you have in your favour but the statistics are very strongly stacked against you, especially in jobs such as law:

http://www.suttontrust.com/wp-conten...ackgrounds.pdf
    Just to back this up, it's the same at Oxford; the base financial support you get if you're from a low-income family is pretty substantial, even more so if you receive some of the additional (usually externally funded) scholarships/bursaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Just to back this up, it's the same at Oxford; the base financial support you get if you're from a low-income family is pretty substantial, even more so if you receive some of the additional (usually externally funded) scholarships/bursaries.
    Usually my family is (only slightly) over the upper limit for financial support. What then? Scholarships and bursaries may be available but it depends, bursaries are often subject-specific.

I think Oxford is better than Cambridge in terms of supporting students, though, because they look at things such as overall performance in school and the area you live in, not only family income.

What about Cambridge as a place? Is it an expensive area to live in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeel1)
    I almost died of laughter.
    Were you there? Lol at the time he made it sound like the person had angered the heavens..."DO YOU NOT KNOW WHO I AM?!"

ReputationRep:
    AMA
    Do you like my makeupified you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCMFM16)
    Were you there? Lol at the time he made it sound like the person had angered the heavens..."DO YOU NOT KNOW WHO I AM?!"
    Didn't you read to what I said? You seem to have just completely ignored what I had to say in the way of an explanation for this dramatic outburst.

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't be there to see how this matters when you die though, from a philosophical point of view I don't get why people are somehow satisfied so much by being remembered in the future I would like to be but its not enough for me, as I would have no knowledge of this.
    For the same reason that religions are so pervasive. The fear of death is nothing compared to the fear of irrelevance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonysharp11)
    Do you like my makeupified you?
    No it looks awful far too much makeup.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.