Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

CoC Semi-Final Live: Chelsea v Liverpool 27/01 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    That Ramires sub is what Rodgers should have done with Liverpool, we needed legs in the midfield so Lallana should have come on for Gerrard.
    Yeah, Mourinho knew that he made a mistake with the lineup in the first leg personally with Mikel being so lethargic and Fabregas being pretty weak defensively. Pretty good on him to identify the problem so quickly in the game and bother to change it.

He has been a bit lazy tactically this season and just been using his best team, scoring a couple goals and then slowing down play to keep them fit. Last season he was tactical beast though, like the Mourinho at Inter but we saw today how good a manager Mou is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Honestly after watching the game think we were the better team from the second half onwards. You guys did play well but the introduction of Ramires changed the game for us. Thought we might need to drop Fabregas for games like this.
    definitely second half onwards.
    from then on it was chelsea domination with the odd weak liverpool counter attack.

i think over the course of the two games we were the better team but that's only when you take in to account the first leg where we completely dominated.
    football isn't about who deserves it more, it's about who scores more and you simply did that more times than we did.

ReputationRep:
    Respect to Zouma, should really get an extended run in the team while Cahill tries to sort out his form. Zouma is the kinda guy who you know will develop into a world class player. Great performance from him despite being under so much pressure. It was different to a park the bus performance too.

(Original post by Lúcio)
    i'm not one to run away when we lose :P

overall we performed better over the two legs but we didn't deserve the win.
    no team that misses that many opportunities to get through.
    chelsea were poor in general and even though we handed the tie to them, they did enough to get through and fair play to them.
    You were only the clearly better team in the first leg. Second leg from half time we were better and had figured you out. We were the better team in the second leg, not dominant like you lot were though. You just had a manager who couldn't outdo Mourinho tactically, as I felt your bench had enough to get a goal vs Chelsea. Mourinho made the right sub, Liverpool didn't.

Ramires should start in midfield against City. 4-3-3.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That Ramires sub is what Rodgers should have done with Liverpool, we needed legs in the midfield so Lallana should have come on for Gerrard.
    Lallana for Gerrard was the most obvious sub from that bench. Can't believe Rodgers didn't opt to introduce him, especially after the way his introduction invigorated us during the Anfield leg.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    I heard some rumors that we are gonna give him a new contract, I just want him to **** off already-more often than not he's a defensive liability. He's way past it, he should just go and play somewhere in Spain/Italy.
    It's bizarre, because I've never thought Rodgers was a big fan of him but now he is desperate to sign him.

I understand that we'll likely be losing Gerrard and Kolo, so Rodgers will want to keep some mature/experienced players, but I'd have Manquillo or Flanagan in a right-back position before Johnson.

Sure, he's a solid option at right wing-back but Markovic offers us more, and he can't play in a defensive three. That's obvious. He was woeful against Bolton and was poor again tonight.

He has spoken about his intention to finish his playing career abroad, and it's a move that makes sense for both parties at this juncture. He needs to play somewhere like La Liga, where he'll be less defensively exposed and his runs forward will be indulged.

ReputationRep:
    So just got back from work/the match. Extra time was a complete ******* tbh. Saw glimpses of the game, obvs the goal. Has Mourinho said anything about the Cahill/Zouma situation? Would rather play Kurt as hes more solid atm, and City will deffo try to exploit Cahill by running at him, he seems very uncertain in those situations atm.

I think if Ivory Coast qualify 2moz and so City are without Toure and Bony Jose will play Matic, Cesc and Rami in midfield on Sat, but if they do return and play he'll go 'safe' and do a Matic, Mikel, Fabregas dm/cm.

BRB Willian got an assist

ReputationRep:
    You were only the clearly better team in the first leg. Second leg from half time we were better and had figured you out. We were the better team in the second leg, not dominant like you lot were though. You just had a manager who couldn't outdo Mourinho tactically, as I felt your bench had enough to get a goal vs Chelsea. Mourinho made the right sub, Liverpool didn't.

Ramires should start in midfield against City. 4-3-3.
    that's why i was talking about overall.
    i said to SR90 we were the better team for about 65-70% of the tie, so i would say that's more or less accurate.

the issue was that since we played twice in such a short period of time and due to our low squad depth, mourinho knew that we were gonna pick (essentially) the same players in the same system.
    so it was very easy for him to simply target our weak areas and also use zouma to counteract sterling's pace problem.

rodgers will never out-do mourinho with tactics; it's just one of those things.
    not bringing lallana on really was a stupid move.
    i feel like rodgers kept gerrard on out of respect, wanting him to do his captain thing and get a goal, totally ignoring his general ineffectiveness against chelsea over the years.
    gerrard on, lallana off was the sub that almost every single manager would make in that situation.
    i don't think it would've changed the result but since we never know, rodgers will be criticised for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    that's why i was talking about overall.
    i said to SR90 we were the better team for about 65-70% of the tie, so i would say that's more or less accurate.

the issue was that since we played twice in such a short period of time and due to our low squad depth, mourinho knew that we were gonna pick (essentially) the same players in the same system.
    so it was very easy for him to simply target our weak areas and also use zouma to counteract sterling's pace problem.

rodgers will never out-do mourinho with tactics; it's just one of those things.
    not bringing lallana on really was a stupid mood.
    i feel like rodgers kept gerrard on out of respect, wanting him to do his captain thing and get a goal, totally ignoring his general ineffectiveness against chelsea over the years.
    gerrard on, lallana off was the sub that almost every single manager would make in that situation.
    i don't think it would've changed the result but since we never know, rodgers will be criticised for it.
    Says a lot our best creative midfielder was subbed off for Ramires and we got a good control of the game, I genuinely thought Mourinho didn't have the balls to sub off Fabregas early and he did it in such a high pressure tie. Was slating Mourinho a lot but today just had that pragmatism that he showed last season.

Essentially Rodgers should have done the same with Gerrard, obviously there's more pressure, also where was henderson playing near the end, at RWB? Saw Gerrard moving deep with Lucas, just poor subs from Rodgers. Lallana could have got you guys back into the game.

ReputationRep:
    IGerrard's played 39 games against us and scored 1 goal in a 4-1 defeat. Very poor record tbh.

He's scored the same number of goals for us as he has against us haha

ReputationRep:
    Says a lot our best creative midfielder was subbed off for Ramires and we got a good control of the game, I genuinely thought Mourinho didn't have the balls to sub off Fabregas early and he did it in such a high pressure tie. Was slating Mourinho a lot but today just had that pragmatism that he showed last season.

Essentially Rodgers should have done the same with Gerrard, obviously there's more pressure, also where was henderson playing near the end, at RWB? Saw Gerrard moving deep with Lucas, just poor subs from Rodgers. Lallana could have got you guys back into the game.
    if i'm honest, fabregas wasn't having an amazing game, and although ramires isn't as good quality-wise, he does have that extra energy to add to such an intense game like that.

we were actually playing johnson at LCB and henderson at RWB at one point - pissed me off so much.
    why not switch to a typical back 4 by bringing moreno back in to defence and letting henderson actually be in midfield?
    the difference in quality between johnson and your attackers was painful; the quicker he goes the better.

lallana was the only real worthy substitute on our bench
    lambert and balotelli aren't rapid enough and don't fit our system - lallana may not be a striker but he would be ten times more effective than those two combined.

lallana must have picked up a late injury or must be planned to start at the weekend; those are the only two reasons i can think of as to why he wasn't used in 120 minutes of football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    if i'm honest, fabregas wasn't having an amazing game, and although ramires isn't as good quality-wise, he does have that extra energy to add to such an intense game like that.

we were actually playing johnson at LCB and henderson at RWB at one point - pissed me off so much.
    why not switch to a typical back 4 by bringing moreno back in to defence and letting henderson actually be in midfield?
    the difference in quality between johnson and your attackers was painful; the quicker he goes the better.

lallana was the only real worthy substitute on our bench
    lambert and balotelli aren't rapid enough and don't fit our system - lallana may not be a striker but he would be ten times more effective than those two combined.

lallana must have picked up a late injury or must be planned to start at the weekend; those are the only two reasons i can think of as to why he wasn't used in 120 minutes of football.
    Yeah, he was pretty poor in the previous game. I was saying earlier today that we should drop him for big games. He doesn't offer enough to Mourinho's system in terms of his defensive ability. Saw e.g. in the first half Sterling giving him the slip and him making a pathetic attempt of a tackle, you lot nearly scored. Ivanovic's positioning can't be covered with Willian alone. Matic usually plays on the right side but then he ends up with too much space to cover on his own as he also has to cover for Terry's lack of pace and prevent him from being exposed.

I loled at Johnson at LCB. He used Gerrard and Lucas double pivot, which is what I think killed any attempts to salvage the game. Lallana simply should have come on for Gerrard, Markovic stays on and one of Balo/Lambert comes on as sub.

Think you had enough depth to get a result, but Rodgers clear lack of pragmatism has costed him.

ReputationRep:
    Just seen these supposed Costa stamps, my Twitter/fb had blown up about them. I could see the argument for the Chan one but I don't think its as intentional as people are making out, seems to be going for the ball.

If the Skrtel one is a stamp then this should have been a freekick to us as well...

Both Costa and Skrtel going for the ball at that point and Costa's landing foot goes into Skrtel's that moves into the same space at exactly the same point, highly doubt, as temperamental as he is, that Costa is that quick thinking and vicious enough to do that then. Only difference is that Skrtel had already taken the man so this 'supposed stamp' shouldnt be the real talking point.

This campaign is still going btw, read an independent article written tonight, not Henry Winter but another journalist, cba to find it now, who spends paragraphs moaning about Costa, very briefly highlights Skrtels involvement then moves on, completely ignores Skrtels elbow from last week too.

Gerrard, Costa argument was stupid tbh, both used their heads and should have gone tbh, no idea how Henderson, Costa and Lucas survived the 180 minutes tbh. Courtois save with his feet was mint too, and Mignolet made a great save to stop Costa going round him so fair play for that.

Dont know who I'd rather face tbh, got a feeling Sheffield United will win though with the tie at home.

ReputationRep:
    That gif hurts me so much ffs. **** the slip Gerrard's just **** but this was just unjust refereeing that was completely out our hands.

ReputationRep:
    Its the fact that its like the one mistake Dave made all season, with a Scouse referee at home to a *******s striker that makes it worse. Seems all the crap strikers score against us then do naff all the rest of the time, Altidore, Anichebe, Cisse, Chamakh. Was surprised Balotelli didn't tonight.

ReputationRep:
    Borini scored as well which smacks it.

Ngl was actually hoping Liverpool win the title if we didn't but during the run in started to ****ing hate them. They get so cockteased man so good to see us whoop their asses.

ReputationRep:
    Fabregas, will always be the *****, not the bull. Will be absolutely hilarious if Jose has an epiphany and sells him off or puts him on the bench. Probably when he realises that the guy is not a big game player at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    Fabregas, will always be the *****, not the bull. Will be absolutely hilarious if Jose has an epiphany and sells him off or puts him on the bench. Probably when he realises that the guy is not a big game player at all.
    Assisted the winning goal in the finals of Euro '08, World Cup 2010 and Euro '12 (although that turned out to be one sided).

And let's not act like this didn't happen...

Also destroyed us at Old Trafford in that game Adebayor got the winner, while Henry was injured.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    It's bizarre, because I've never thought Rodgers was a big fan of him but now he is desperate to sign him.

I understand that we'll likely be losing Gerrard and Kolo, so Rodgers will want to keep some mature/experienced players, but I'd have Manquillo or Flanagan in a right-back position before Johnson.

Sure, he's a solid option at right wing-back but Markovic offers us more, and he can't play in a defensive three. That's obvious. He was woeful against Bolton and was poor again tonight.

He has spoken about his intention to finish his playing career abroad, and it's a move that makes sense for both parties at this juncture. He needs to play somewhere like La Liga, where he'll be less defensively exposed and his runs forward will be indulged.
    Johnson has the most flexibility of all our defenders. Effectively Rodgers has played him at every defensive position except in a 2 man CB (as in he's played RB, RWB, RCB, LB, LWB, LCB).

The quicker people realise Manquillo is average at best, the better. He was so bad against Bolton and we need our fullbacks to offer more going forward. I'd only keep one of Flanagan and Manquillo going forward. Neither are good enough going forward and Markovic should only be a short term solution at RWB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Johnson has the most flexibility of all our defenders. Effectively Rodgers has played him at every defensive position except in a 2 man CB (as in he's played RB, RWB, RCB, LB, LWB, LCB).

The quicker people realise Manquillo is average at best, the better. He was so bad against Bolton and we need our fullbacks to offer more going forward. I'd only keep one of Flanagan and Manquillo going forward. Neither are good enough going forward and Markovic should only be a short term solution at RWB.
    Johnson hasn't been much better going forward mind you, I would rather have a solid defender in Manquillo than a defensively liable Johnson. Manquillo had one bad game against Bolton but Johnson has had way more bad games, the former is atleast inexperienced. That being said, we do need to sign a fullback who is more balanced.

ReputationRep:
    Johnson hasn't been much better going forward mind you, I would rather have a solid defender in Manquillo than a defensively liable Johnson. Manquillo had one bad game against Bolton but Johnson has had way more bad games, the former is atleast inexperienced. That being said, we do need to sign a fullback who is more balanced.
    He hasn't been great but he makes himself into an option when on the right. He just knows when and how to run to create space whether it be for a player like Sterling to continue attacking or to get in behind/cut in. Manquillo, even as a wingback, is 10-15 yards further back and just lumps the cross in (we've only seen a couple of decent crosses). It just doesn't work for our system since we don't have an out and out winger who stretches the pitch.

He isn't pacey enough and he's not going to get any better in terms of his attacking play to match our style. You can see how Moreno fits in beautifully. If Flanagan won't sign a new contract, keep Manquillo. If he does sign, send Manquillo back and recall Wisdom. We can then either sign Johnson on a new contract or buy a new rightback.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 28, 2015
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.