The Student Room Group

I'm a British Pakistani, AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by cake_lover
My mum always gives me some biryani (a days worth), and lots of tubs of keema and daal, I just freeze them and then eat them with pasta or bread/pita bread, that's the best I can do. I just need some food with Lil spice to remind me of home lol. I do visit home every two weeks so I'm well stocked up and mum always prepares a nice meal involving chicken when I visit, so nice of her! :smile: (I love chicken lol)

Lol. You're lucky :smile:
So yeah ask away!

(Also, all opinions are my own, I cannot answer for the whole of the British Pakistani population or all Muslims)

Hi I am also Pakistani but not British :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chakede
dude the British helped rediscover indias now world renowned civilisations in the indus valley, aryan acheology etc - they were obsessed with it when they found we had full cities older than the Pyramids. - it was the arab muslims that supressed this history when they invaded now modern afganistan and pakistan and tried to remove its hindu and buddhist roots from the record

the reason why british pakistanis dont know of the wealth of their own history is basically cause of islam- which is the doctrine of their salve masters of the past.

As much as I am aware and proud of Pakistan's ancient history, I am proud to be a Muslim. Pakistan by its very nature does not exist in a vacuum - it's flavour owes as much to the ancient Indus Valley people and Indo-Aryans as it does the Persians, Arabs and Timurid Turks.

I find it extremely unfortunate that you've allowed your understanding Islamic culture and history to be coloured by widely held misconceptions about us as portrayed in the media. In complete contrast to what you say, the Muslims are remembered in history as preservers, not a destructive force. You say Muslims destroyed advancements made by the ancient inhabitants of what is now Pakistan. How do you think ancient Indian numerals (the ones used by the entire world today) were transmitted to the West? By the Muslims! The irony!

Being Pakistani, for me, means respecting and having pride in all these parts - it's what makes us unique and distinguishes us from India, China, every other country on the planet which each have their own narratives to be proud of.
Original post by PPF
Jo Mein Sar Basajda Huwa Kabhi To Zameen Se Ane Lagi Sada
Tera Dil To Hai Sanam Ashna, Tujhe Kya Mile Ga Namaz Mein

Behen G yeh samajh mein aa raha hai?

Bhai Saab! Meri Urdu ko underestimate maat ki jiye. Meri Urdu laa jawab hai. Aur hanjee iska matlaab hai ke...

When I did the sajda, the zameen started saying that your dil is ashna(obsessed/lost/lover?), what will you find in Namaz?

Kaisa bhai saab, haina meri Urdu kamal ki. :biggrin:
Original post by Graceful_Lawyer
Oops! Sorry for assuming that.

And yes..Arians have farms and land. Basically farmers.
you cant be a farmer without land :tongue:
Bhai Saab! Meri Urdu ko underestimate maat ki jiye. Meri Urdu laa jawab hai. Aur hanjee iska matlaab hai ke...

When I did the sajda, the zameen started saying that your dil is ashna(obsessed/lost/lover?), what will you find in Namaz?

I don't actually know what you are talking about but just to let u know ur urdu is actually good :smile: do u also write in urdu??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Omar.Q
you cant be a farmer without land :tongue:

Lol yeah. Well, farmers have land to do their work :tongue:
Original post by Fallen99
I don't actually know what you are talking about but just to let u know ur urdu is actually good :smile: do u also write in urdu??

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha JazakAllah sister. And yes I can read and write in Urdu and Punjabi. Gotta stick to the roots you know :biggrin:

And oh opps.. just talking about poetry in Urdu.
Reply 248

OMG... I really can't believe this... I don't believe that you're a British pakistani.
The zameen says that your heart is full of materialistic desire.

Try the following.

Ye tamanna hai kay azaad-e-tamanna hi rahoon.
Dil-e-mayoos ko manoos-e-tamanna na bana.

Zauq-e-barbaadi-e-dil ko bhi na kar too barbaad
Dil ki ujri hoi bigri hoi duniya na bana..
(edited 9 years ago)
haha JazakAllah sister. And yes I can read and write in Urdu and Punjabi. Gotta stick to the roots you know :biggrin:

Ohh cool I can also read and write in urdu but not in punjabi and u r right about sticking to our roots :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol yeah. Well, farmers have land to do their work :tongue:

farmer minus land = just a man with a pitchfork :tongue:

And oh opps.. just talking about poetry in Urdu.

How hard is it to learn to read Urdu and Punjabi? I want learn how to and write it, as well as Hindi and Punjabi in the gurmukhi script.
Hi I am also Pakistani but not British :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello, where from Pakistan are you? :smile:
Original post by PPF
OMG... I really can't believe this... I don't believe that you're a British pakistani.
The zameen says that your heart is full of materialistic desire.

Try the following.

Ye tamanna hai kay azaad-e-tamanna hi rahoon.
Dil-e-mayoos ko manoos-e-tamanna na bana.

Zauq-e-barbaadi-e-dil ko bhi na kar too barbaad
Dil ki ujri hoi bigri hoi duniya na bana..

Haha kyun bhai saab urr gaye na hosh? :biggrin: Abhi intezaar kare, jaab apko pata chalay ga ke mujhe iss shair ki tashri bhi ati hai tou kia hoga haha

My wish is that may I remain wish free(if that makes sense lol)
Don't make your sad dil so related/attached to you wish
Don't ruin the taste/desire for breaking your heart
Don't create a destroyed and ruined life of your dil

I'm actually a German Pakistani but since I came to England at a young age, I do see myself as a British Pakistani. Although, I've a mixed German and British accent. It confuses people lol.
Ohh cool I can also read and write in urdu but not in punjabi and u r right about sticking to our roots :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's amazing. Achi baat hai. I actually know very few British Pakistanis who can write Urdu. But you're lucky in that sense then haha. :tongue:
Original post by Omar.Q
farmer minus land = just a man with a pitchfork :tongue:

Lol haha yeah.
How hard is it to learn to read Urdu and Punjabi? I want learn how to and write it, as well as Hindi and Punjabi in the gurmukhi script.

Well, I don't think its too hard for us Pakistanis since we already are familiar with Arabic letters. But writing in Punjabi in Urdu can be difficult. I know it cos my mum really worked hard on me.

And brother good luck with Hindi and Sikh Punjabi! That is hard!
Lol haha yeah.

Alright alright wasn't that good , I've gone rusty damn it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 258
Haha kyun bhai saab urr gaye na hosh? :biggrin: Abhi intezaar kare, jaab apko pata chalay ga ke mujhe iss shair ki tashri bhi ati hai tou kia hoga haha

My wish is that may I remain wish free(if that makes sense lol)
Don't make your sad dil so related/attached to you wish
Don't ruin the taste/desire for breaking your heart
Don't create a destroyed and ruined life of your dil

I'm actually a German Pakistani but since I came to England at a young age, I do see myself as a British Pakistani. Although, I've a mixed German and British accent. It confuses people lol.

You have genuinely put me in a state of shock.
I thought we were an extinct specie.
Salute aap ko aur ammi abu ko salaam. :smile::smile:
Original post by TheMouseyS
As much as I am aware and proud of Pakistan's ancient history, I am proud to be a Muslim. Pakistan by its very nature does not exist in a vacuum - it's flavour owes as much to the ancient Indus Valley people and Indo-Aryans as it does the Persians, Arabs and Timurid Turks.

I find it extremely unfortunate that you've allowed your understanding Islamic culture and history to be coloured by widely held misconceptions about us as portrayed in the media. In complete contrast to what you say, the Muslims are remembered in history as preservers, not a destructive force. You say Muslims destroyed advancements made by the ancient inhabitants of what is now Pakistan. How do you think ancient Indian numerals (the ones used by the entire world today) were transmitted to the West? By the Muslims! The irony!

Being Pakistani, for me, means respecting and having pride in all these parts - it's what makes us unique and distinguishes us from India, China, every other country on the planet which each have their own narratives to be proud of.

You forgot the Mongols in that list

thanks for the intellectual response, but frankly, the arabs copying our maths and numbers and passing it to the europeans in an ass-kisssing excersise didint do us any favours. the islamic armies came here and caused devastation - they put india back hundreds of years i terms of civilisation and technology, not to mention the wealth they stole to pay for shiny gold mosques back in arab and persian lands. the irony you talk about is the very first muslins that came here came as ignorant tribes ppl to learn and got educated in the ways of science, maths and medicine, then stole the ideas to pass them off as their own, rather than admit the 'inferior' polyeithists of asia educated them. the next time they would come back was to loot as much of the wealth they saw as they could

modern day pakistan is where the most were enslaved by these people. im at least grateful there were those that fought harder and longer in our country to keep our own culture and religions that are native to india - thats why we still have billion hindus sikhs and buddhists. i guess the ancestors of paksitanis probably bore the brunt of forcible conversion more than the rest india simply by geography. i dont have any issue with muslims, i have an issue with imposing invaders doctrine on our people - and then ppl trying to justify the greed of the arabs and other muslim invaders

to me what distinguishes pakistan from india is simply, your ancestors surrenderd more readily than mine to the westrn invaders. otherwise we have all the same history.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest