Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We got told to structure a research methods question by doing a paragraph on practical issues, a paragraph on ethical issues and a paragraph on theoretical issues..

ReputationRep:
    Np

Btw does are social groups the same as social classes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risteard)
    how underachievement and the class system is largely reinforced by education policy - the notable difference being girls
    I see so could there be a broad question across ethnicity , class and gender for achievement? or is it most likely going to specify just one of those topics?

ReputationRep:
    How much should you write for the twelve marker on this exam. I write about a page is that too much?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know which topics are NOT likely to come up or which ones have been done the most to ease this revision :please:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dappteman)
    How much should you write for the twelve marker on this exam. I write about a page is that too much?
    one page. four points.

ReputationRep:
    im confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BOWE)
    I see so could there be a broad question across ethnicity , class and gender for achievement? or is it most likely going to specify just one of those topics?
    They usually just focus on one aspect but it doesn't mean they won't ask a broad question like you have stated

ReputationRep:
    one page. four points.
    Thanks I appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BOWE)
    the marketisation question will apply to all variables - class, ethnicity and gender

A good response to a direct question on one of them would include something about social policy.

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dappteman)
    Thanks I appreciate it
    no worries.

if question is about ethnicity, class or gender:

two points on external/structural reasons

two points on internal/in school reasons

a killer last line would be that achievement is the product of both factors as they intersect with each other, structure produces schools and schools reproduce structure. if i was marking that.....12/12

ReputationRep:
    Do you need to evaluate any points in Methods in context?
    Or do you just use the "PERV(e)RT" method in the essay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbidaIslam)
    Do you need to evaluate any points in Methods in context?
    Or do you just use the "PERV(e)RT" method in the essay?
    of course.

by saying positivists like something you say why interprevetists don't - that is evaluation

ReputationRep:
    of course.

by saying positivists like something you say why interprevetists don't - that is evaluation
    So would i making strengths and weaknesses of points such as how valid analysing documents for research are?

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    For a methods 20 marker, if asked about something link questionnaires do you have to mention another source of data like interviews etc?

ReputationRep:
    Hi id just like to say that some of you have said Sampling cannot be an essay and I don't mean to burst your bubble but we've wrote essays in class about sampling it can come up actually and is predicted and the predicted question for 12 mark is gender- boys underachievement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmm13)
    For research methods,
    if the question were to ask to examine the problems of different types of experiments (lab, field, natural) should you include advantages and examples?

and would you structure by stating the type, for example field experiments, then address the problems using (PET) and then counter it by using advantages and then give an example?

I'm so confused
    what are natural experiments??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairebear0398)
    Hi id just like to say that some of you have said Sampling cannot be an essay and I don't mean to burst your bubble but we've wrote essays in class about sampling it can come up actually and is predicted and the predicted question for 12 mark is gender- boys underachievement
    in my 14 years of teaching sociology i've not seen that question....you may be right of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by officialmsright)
    I would please 😬
    Here they are! I'm sorry they took so long - didn't quite realise how much there was to get through...

So these are the flashcards of researchers for Class, Ethnicity and Gender and educational achievement. I know there are a lot but if you can just get down 2 or 3 for each subsection then that would be enough as in a 20 mark question you need to refer to about 2 or 3 researchers!

Please let me know if you can access them easily, and feel free to ask me any question. I hope they are of some help!

https://www.goconqr.com/en-US/p/2762...ash_card_decks

Good luck everyone

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 23, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.