Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrimeLime)
    (a) 2 marks
    (b) 5 marks

So less than usual purely because you did not need to find the 'coordinates' of the stationary points and you could discard the x=-40 solution (which I almost forgot to do!).
    Oh, also, what do you think the grade boundaries will be like, still 75 for 100UMS or will it be lower like 73/74?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr rump)
    That's what I did, I didn't show it as 1/20 though, I just said if you put 40 into the equation you get a positive value so therefore it's a minimum. Will I still get full marks?
    Well, I'm not sure. "A correct method for finding nature of the stationary point yielding amaximum value (for 0 < x)" is what appeared in the most recent optimisation problem for the mark that you're talking about. Make of that what you will, but you might get away with it depending on how obvious it was that your answer would have been positive. If you got the wrong value for d2L/dx2 then you'd definitely lose a mark though.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm not sure. "A correct method for finding nature of the stationary point yielding amaximum value (for 0 < x)" is what appeared in the most recent optimisation problem for the mark that you're talking about. Make of that what you will, but you might get away with it depending on how obvious it was that your answer would have been positive. If you got the wrong value for d2L/dx2 then you'd definitely lose a mark though.
    I had 3200/x^3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firestartc)
    Oh, also, what do you think the grade boundaries will be like, still 75 for 100UMS or will it be lower like 73/74?
    Are you going for 100UMS? Yeah maybe slightly lower. So 74, possibly 73. What do you think you got raw?

ReputationRep:
    I had 3200/x^3
    Didn't you even sub your x-value in?
    See if that was x^2 or something you might have got away with it on the BOD that you knew x^2 had to be positive.

ReputationRep:
    Are you going for 100UMS? Yeah maybe slightly lower. So 74, possibly 73. What do you think you got raw?
    The last q was the only thing i got wrong so 73 /75, do you have an unofficial mark scheme? I think 96-100 will be fine as I'm going for medicine at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't you even sub your x-value in?
    See if that was x^2 or something you might have got away with it on the BOD that you knew x^2 had to be positive.
    I said 3200/40^3 is positive as 40^3 is positive, therefore it is a minimum value

ReputationRep:
    The last q was the only thing i got wrong so 73/75, do you have an unofficial mark scheme? I think 96-100 will be fine as I'm going for medicine at Cambridge.
    I don't have an unofficial mark scheme sorry, but if I had the questions I could make one. There was a Welsh one on this forum but the link doesn't work anymore. I can give you any answers you want to specific questions if you can (roughly) remember the topic?

ReputationRep:
    I said 3200/40^3 is positive as 40^3 is positive, therefore it is a minimum value
    Yeah I think that'll get you the mark.

ReputationRep:
    What was the answer for the binomial question, find the first four terms in the expansion of something which i can't remember,

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think that'll get you the mark.
    Great, obviously I got 1d wrong as I didn't use the d coordinates, I drew the triangle abc and found all the lengths(without d) and came up with an answer from that using toa will I get any marks through ECF all will I lose all 5?

ReputationRep:
    What was the answer for the binomial question, find the first four terms in the expansion of something which i can't remember,
    1-4x+7x^2-7x^3

ReputationRep:
    The may 2011 c1 paper was similar to this one and in that you could lose 9 marks from 75 to get 100 UMS, so i think for this one which was similar in style, we should be looking at possibly dropping 3-4 marks and still getting 100 UMS ? Do you agree because I take it you like maths?

ReputationRep:
    1-4x+7x^2-7x^3
    Thank god

ReputationRep:
    The may 2011 c1 paper was similar to this one and in that you could lose 9 marks from 75 to get 100 UMS, so i think for this one which was similar in style, we should be looking at possibly dropping 3-4 marks and still getting 100 UMS ? Do you agree because I take you like maths?
    This was harder than 2011, it depends what other people get I guess, I know a lot of people found this paper very hard and dropped at least 20/30marks

ReputationRep:
    This was harder than 2011, it depends what other people get I guess, I know a lot of people found this paper very hard and dropped at least 20/30marks
    but they aren't aiming for cambridge

ReputationRep:
    Great, obviously I got 1d wrong as I didn't use the d coordinates, I drew the triangle abc and found all the lengths(without d) and came up with an answer from that using toa will I get any marks through ECF all will I lose all 5?
    How did you manage to use right-angled triangle trigonometry with a right-angle?? XD
    You won't lose all the marks.

ReputationRep:
    The may 2011 c1 paper was similar to this one and in that you could lose 9 marks from 75 to get 100 UMS, so i think for this one which was similar in style, we should be looking at possibly dropping 3-4 marks and still getting 100 UMS ? Do you agree because I take it you like maths?
    What??? 66/75 for 100UMS! Well that makes pointless any raw marks of 75/75 .
    Yep, I looked at the unofficial mark scheme (when it still worked) and I've got all the marks, so I'm good , but I'd be very surprised if you didn't get 100UMS too! These are gonna be low grade boundaries!
    "Like" isn't a strong enough word XD.

ReputationRep:
    So we're both applying for Cambridge maths?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think wjec take that into account when calculating grade boundaries. My point is that the grade boundaries will be very low for this paper

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 12, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.