Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcticNeighbour)
    From what I've been taught you definitely don't need 20 quotes. I've been taught that around 5-8 quotes will be great. If you can drop little words like 'tart', 'jailbait', 'rattrap', 'nig*er' that would be good too
    Thanks for confirming that's what I have been taught, phew.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing A Christmas Carol on friday? I'm panicking about it so much and was wondering what essays might come up?

ReputationRep:
    the problem is guys which themes should we revise - I'm predicted A* and I got 39 in CA but really doubtng this now; I'd say still learn CW/George cos they're the only characters in no spec materials or exam papers - just praying question isn't like "imagine you are..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMAM)
    Hey guys, Quick Question. I got a B on my coursework (30 marks). Is it possible to achieve A* or even A still? Thanks.
    Yep but obviously you need to achieve those marks in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samyak!)
    the problem is guys which themes should we revise - I'm predicted A* and I got 39 in CA but really doubtng this now; I'd say still learn CW/George cos they're the only characters in no spec materials or exam papers - just praying question isn't like "imagine you are..."
    Don't worry, I think this thread has made us all panic, I'm so scared now but at least we have 2 to pick from, so that's the solution it what I'm thinking for that problem.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt even know you could get those question😓

ReputationRep:
    My teacher gave a list of exemplar answers and one of them were like the imagine you are ones. They are so easy, this person got 20 for basically telling the story and swearing their heads off. No quotes needed, just paraphrase if you can. Try to squeeze context in too
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Does anyone have any predictions on the unseen poetry sections

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Does anyone have any predictions on the unseen poetry sections
    This is super difficult to predict. They could throw absolutely anything in there. WJEC do whatever the damn hell they want, they're the badass board, but also the *****tiest board ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midgetjems_)
    I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if you don't quote the highest you can get is an E. Been drilled into my class since year 9.

Are you serious? My teacher said we don't have to learn any quotes just describe the plot well. God she's such a crap teacher.

People doing to kill a mocking bird, can setting questions turn up? Never seen them for TKAM. Its really worrying me cos i was planning on just learning the themes but now a theme question might not even turn up?! Is this true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hael468)
    Are you serious? My teacher said we don't have to learn any quotes just describe the plot well. God she's such a crap teacher.

People doing to kill a mocking bird, can setting questions turn up? Never seen them for TKAM. Its really worrying me cos i was planning on just learning the themes but now a theme question might not even turn up?! Is this true?
    I'm not doing TKAM but my teacher said that there will always be one theme/setting or whatever and one character based question. The best thing to do is learn quotes that could appear for both themes and characters. If you do this and a setting question turns up, just pick the other one

ReputationRep:
    So for these I'm doing: Of Mice and Men, Heroes and An Inspector Calls. I'm really dreading this exam because English is like my worst subject and memorising quotes? It's absurd. No point complaining now though. But what do you guys predict will come up?
    I have a feeling that for AIC there will be something on the theme of morality. What could we write for that?
    what questions do you think will come up in omam

ReputationRep:

I did English Literature unit 1 last year, you have to learn quotations and be able to talk about them. I can't believe your teacher told you you don't need to learn any quotations! I did Of Mice and Men, and there was an option for a theme question as well as a character question. I found that it was easier to learn quotations for each character. You might be able to get some from the website sparknotes.
    If you get a lower grade than you should have because your teacher told you not to learn any quotations then it's her fault and your class should complain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My teacher gave a list of exemplar answers and one of them were like the imagine you are ones. They are so easy, this person got 20 for basically telling the story and swearing their heads off. No quotes needed, just paraphrase if you can. Try to squeeze context in too
    Could you send it to me? i dont really understand it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beastboy)
    the whole thread is about OMAM predictions XD
    but common predictions are: Candy, Slim, George and possibly Curley's wife for character and loneliness and violence for themes, I think. (There might be more for themes though - I haven't looked at them much)

But go back through the pages and you'll find suggestions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beastboy)
    They've been littered all over this post. Most people think it will be Curley, His Wife, Candy, Slim or George for characters and loneliness for themes

ReputationRep:

Exact same situation here.

I don't know what to suggest for either of us. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthie2267)
    If all else fails: put quote marks around words/phrases you think are in the book. I doubt the examiners know the novel word for word, so chances are if it sounds about right, they'll accept it.
    That's a good idea. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)
    Exact same situation here.

I don't know what to suggest for either of us. Sorry.
    maybe you should stop worrying and try and learn quotes, the night is still young...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if somebody's already said this, but it was Curley's Wife in January 2015, good luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 5, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.