Turn on thread page Beta

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Love Through The Ages. Official Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    I know the first poem was vaguely a sonnet but I made a point about it being a type of 'universal elegy', remembering the love that has been lost as a result of WW1. Do you think that's valid?

Overall, I think the questions were both great and I'm just glad I'm done with English Lit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charmantell)
    I know the first poem was vaguely a sonnet but I made a point about it being a type of 'universal elegy', remembering the love that has been lost as a result of WW1. Do you think that's valid?

Overall, I think the questions were both great and I'm just glad I'm done with English Lit!
    I think it's a bit of a reach, if I'm honest. You may earn credit for it as it's plausible but it just seems a bit tenuous. I think they wanted you to notice it was a sonnet, plus she was basically sad about the fact that all of her lovers are either literally or metaphorically dead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GetOverHere)
    I think it's a bit of a reach, if I'm honest. You may earn credit for it as it's plausible but it just seems a bit tenuous. I think they wanted you to notice it was a sonnet, plus she was basically sad about the fact that all of her lovers are either literally or metaphorically dead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Anyone remember the name of the poem in item A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I said this too, brought in context about WW1 and said the fact it was a sonnet was ironic as in fact there is a loss of love due to the deaths- which was shown by the fact her lovers were referred to as 'ghosts' and 'unremembered lads'. After all, it was a typical modern poem: published shortly after WW1 and focusing on the distraction and suffering that the conflict resulted in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salmon33)
    How did everyone find it!?
    I thought the texts were nice, especially the poetry. 😊 I spent a bit too long on the first question so I didn't finish making all my points for 2. But overall happy with my answers and I was able to use good WR links for the texts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cgmacho)
    I said this too, brought in context about WW1 and said the fact it was a sonnet was ironic as in fact there is a loss of love due to the deaths- which was shown by the fact her lovers were referred to as 'ghosts' and 'unremembered lads'. After all, it was a typical modern poem: published shortly after WW1 and focusing on the distraction and suffering that the conflict resulted in.
    That's exactly what I wrote! I tried to be smart and back up the 'irony' by saying it was a 'petrarchan sonnet' because it had a 'abba cddc' rhyme scheme.... But I've just found out that a Petrarchan Sonnet is actually 'abba abba', so I was half right....lol, checked with my teacher and she told me not to worry about it much though...

Loads of people in my class interpreted the poem as the speaker being a prostitute! Didn't even cross my mind lol

ReputationRep:
    What wider reading did everyone include for Q2?

I managed to get in Romeo and Juliet, Othello and Pride and Prejudice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violetvictorious)
    Anyone remember the name of the poem in item A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The male one is called The Kiss by Stephen(?) Dunn. The female one is What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why by Edna St Vincent Millay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liv19)

I did Othello for Item C and P+P for D, what quotes did you end up using?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lydiahamss)
    Jane Eyre, The Importance of Being Earnest, Nineteen Eighty-Four, The Taming of the Shrew, Top Girls and Tender Is The Night

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lydiahamss)
    I linked Othello to the idea of gender roles in C: "my captain's captain"
    And used Pride and Prejudice to link in with William's lengthy description of Katherine's eyes in C: Mr Darcy said what first attracted him to Elizabeth was "the beautiful expression of her dark eyes", so relating to new love etc.

You?

ReputationRep:
    What lips my lips have kissed Edna St. Vincent Millay
    The Kiss by Stephen Dunn

ReputationRep:
    Completely misinterpreted it, for item a I thought it was about promiscuity, and lust. 'Forgetting where and who she had kissed', 'unremembered lads' 'knocking on her Window crying at midnight', i also interpreted her as potentially being a prostitute (stupid now I know) I commented on loneliness and melancholia and how you cannot get fulfilment from lust, for Item B I also believed that this was about lust but satisfactory, ' a woman who can kiss the right thing' 'kissed me again' referring to pheremones. Item C and D I mentioned infatuation and obsessive love, a power struggle between characters, but s difference I said was in terms of characterisation. Fernando had loved previously, whereas stoner had never loved before and failed to believe in its existence.
    Wider reading I used
    Lust- Emily Dickinson Wild Nights
    Newly found love/ enlightenment from love, /-Lolita
    And power struggle Harold Pinter the home coming, how does this sound. I'm panicking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liv19)

I did the Invention of Love and a Sentimental Journey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helenalikesyou)
    That's exactly what I wrote! I tried to be smart and back up the 'irony' by saying it was a 'petrarchan sonnet' because it had a 'abba cddc' rhyme scheme.... But I've just found out that a Petrarchan Sonnet is actually 'abba abba', so I was half right....lol, checked with my teacher and she told me not to worry about it much though...

Loads of people in my class interpreted the poem as the speaker being a prostitute! Didn't even cross my mind lol
    It was a petrachan sonnet look it up, it follows the "ABBA ABBA" rhyme scheme i just checked then out of panic, we were right yaaaay!! i didnt even think about the prostitute idea though hahhaa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jim80james123)
    Completely misinterpreted it, for item a I thought it was about promiscuity, and lust. 'Forgetting where and who she had kissed', 'unremembered lads' 'knocking on her Window crying at midnight', i also interpreted her as potentially being a prostitute (stupid now I know) I commented on loneliness and melancholia and how you cannot get fulfilment from lust, for Item B I also believed that this was about lust but satisfactory, ' a woman who can kiss the right thing' 'kissed me again' referring to pheremones. Item C and D I mentioned infatuation and obsessive love, a power struggle between characters, but s difference I said was in terms of characterisation. Fernando had loved previously, whereas stoner had never loved before and failed to believe in its existence.
    Wider reading I used
    And power struggle Harold Pinter the home coming, how does this sound. I'm panicking
    That sounds good!
    I also said that it was about promiscuity which it was, having had multiple lovers, and you could interpret it as prostitution, interesting way of seeing the poem.
    I don't think you need to panic. There's more than one way of interpreting the texts.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that was quite a nice exam! I was a bit unsure at first but then when I started actually planning out my answers they were fine I think. I had a couple of minutes left over at the end as well, which is great as I was really worried about running out of time beforehand.

(Original post by liv19)

I used Othello, Spring Awakening, Look Back in Anger, Jamaica Inn, The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and Captain Corelli's Mandolin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jim80james123)
    Wider reading I used
    I think that sounds fine, as long as you backed up why you thought about it that way with quotes and analysis etc. I know people who have interpreted lesbian lovers as mother and daughter and got As, haha. If there is a reason for you saying something, then you should be able to get marks from it. I think they want you to give them some different interpretations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emsybearboho)
    It was a petrachan sonnet look it up, it follows the "ABBA ABBA" rhyme scheme i just checked then out of panic, we were right yaaaay!! i didnt even think about the prostitute idea though hahhaa
    Aaaaaaah, I just looked it up!!! the only thing I got muddled is that whilst I said it was a petrarchan sonnet, I said it followed a 'abba cddc' rhyme scheme instead of 'abba abba'.... I'm an idiot lol... hopefully the examiners will just not give me credit for the rhyme scheme, but give me marks for what I wrote about it being a Petrarchan sonnet :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helenalikesyou)
    Aaaaaaah, I just looked it up!!! the only thing I got muddled is that whilst I said it was a petrarchan sonnet, I said it followed a 'abba cddc' rhyme scheme instead of 'abba abba'.... I'm an idiot lol... hopefully the examiners will just not give me credit for the rhyme scheme, but give me marks for what I wrote about it being a Petrarchan sonnet :-)
    I don't want to be mean, but I was at a conference a few months ago and the chief examiner said that examiners cringe when you do the letter thing, they think it's really childish and it'll reflect badly on your essay. They'd rather you just said it was Petrarchan and got on with saying what the effect is, rather than getting all wrapped up in what the rhyme scheme is. I mean I guess it's too late now, but yeah.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 15, 2017
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.