Turn on thread page Beta
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Green98)
    Cardiff offer quite a lot of different scholarships and bursaries- different academic schools at cardiff have different scholarships and stuff so Id look on their website and find what schools offer what at Cardiff
    I'm finding it so hard to find anything for the school of Computer Science and Informatics :puppyeyes: I literally just keep going around the site in circles.
    Ive applied for maths, and was thinking of takybont gate - thankfully I drive so the walk isnt a problem for me. Or one of the accomodations that are close to the maths building
    Ah, having a car must be so convenient for you! I'd be relocating from London though so I don't think moving my car with me would be worth the hassle, though it would make carrying my suitcases and all a hell of a lot easier to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    I'm finding it so hard to find anything for the school of Computer Science and Informatics :puppyeyes: I literally just keep going around the site in circles.

Ah, having a car must be so convenient for you! I'd be relocating from London though so I don't think moving my car with me would be worth the hassle, though it would make carrying my suitcases and all a hell of a lot easier to do.
    Yeah the scholarship info can be quite hard to find - if you email the school they usually get back to you really quick!

And yeah, a car if really handy! Some accomodations have parking so its worth thinking about bringing it. Although, pretty much everything you need is probably in Cardiff, and the actual uni buildings (not accomodation) is based in the city centre so everythings within walking distance, or a short bus ride away
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Yeah the scholarship info can be quite hard to find - if you email the school they usually get back to you really quick!

And yeah, a car if really handy! Some accomodations have parking so its worth thinking about bringing it. Although, pretty much everything you need is probably in Cardiff, and the actual uni buildings (not accomodation) is based in the city centre so everythings within walking distance, or a short bus ride away
    Hhah I was meant to ask all of this on the visit day but I was so preoccupied asking other questions about the course, the area and where I could live! I'll be sure to do that though, thanks.

Yep, Colum Hall has limited parking spaces what are the bus fares like? This is coming from someone whose spent their life not paying for anything-very little to actually having to pay every time I travel :lol: also, are the buses regular?

ReputationRep:
    I have got tiny legs, so another reason why I won't be applying. :nope: It does look very modern, but I'm thinking about practicality because I'll need to catch the train 3/5 days a week for a 10am start.

Ah yeah that's true, I'll probably create a thread later asking about Abedare.

Also, do Cardiff offer any other types of scholarships except for the merit one if you get AAA in A level or £1,000/annum bursaries? I feel like what they offer to students is so limited in comparison to other unis like say, Swansea who offer money to 'the most promising first year', £500 if you had a great interview, cash and book prizes etc.

I'm going to study Software Engineering What do you study?
    I'm afraid I have no idea about scholarships as nothing applied to me hehe
    Interesting. Philosophy

ReputationRep:
    Hhah I was meant to ask all of this on the visit day but I was so preoccupied asking other questions about the course, the area and where I could live! I'll be sure to do that though, thanks.

Yep, Colum Hall has limited parking spaces what are the bus fares like? This is coming from someone whose spent their life not paying for anything-very little to actually having to pay every time I travel :lol: also, are the buses regular?
    Up until your 19th birthday you can get youth tickets (so just say youre 18) haha. Youth singles are £1.30, youth day to go £2.40, youth week to go £9, or slightly cheaper if you have an iff card. All of this is on the Cardiff Bus website - and prices are a bit higher if you travel just outside of cardiff to places like Barry. The trains are also fairly cheap, but prices depend on how far youre travelling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LFB2612)
    I applied for Mechanical Engineering and have an interview I'm from Cardiff 🤓

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nice one! I have also applied for MEng at Cardiff, just got an interview today! What date are you going for, do you think it will matter if I went for one of the later ones? I'm worried that by then most places will have filled up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wdbirch19)
    Nice one! I have also applied for MEng at Cardiff, just got an interview today! What date are you going for, do you think it will matter if I went for one of the later ones? I'm worried that by then most places will have filled up!
    cool I've applied for MEng in Mechanical Engineering, just sent my ucas off on Thursday. How long did it take for them to reply to you and what were your predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fdog)
    I want to do Maths at Cardiff hopefully! But I am not sure about Bath or Cardiff as Uni's which is better do you think?
    Bath in general is more prestigious and very popular for Maths (since they require STEP and are flooded by applicants with very high grades).

One reason I chose Cardiff was due to the fact the city is much cheaper to live in (Bath is very expensive). In terms of course structure both uni offer the same compulsory modules, but Bath has more option for first years.

ReputationRep:
    I've just been looking at the areas surrounding Cardiff - Radyr Woods, Penarth, Barry Island etc. and I actually think that it'll break my heart if I don't get in now before I didn't mind as long as I got into either Cardiff or Aberystwyth but now...

I'm never gonna get ABB (thanks to Psychology )

I've fallen in love with it completely, rather than being equally in love with two

(I'm firming Cardiff for Social Analytics & Politics)

(Original post by emiloujess)
    I've just been looking at the areas surrounding Cardiff - Radyr Woods, Penarth, Barry Island etc. and I actually think that it'll break my heart if I don't get in now before I didn't mind as long as I got into either Cardiff or Aberystwyth but now...

I've fallen in love with it completely, rather than being equally in love with two

You have a few months until the A2 exams. Why is it an impossibility for you to get ABB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    You have a few months until the A2 exams. Why is it an impossibility for you to get ABB?
    Because of Psychology! I can barely remember anything we've done and every time I even think about it I start to panic. I can't imagine getting anything above a C Arrrrgggggghhh!

I've got the question structures nailed (according to my teacher) but what's the use of that if I can't remember everything?

Because of Psychology! I can barely remember anything we've done and every time I even think about it I start to panic. I can't imagine getting anything above a C Arrrrgggggghhh!
    Yes, but you have plenty of time before the exams to get your head around it, so what's the problem? It's only a matter of revision, practice, revision, practice...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but you have plenty of time before the exams to get your head around it, so what's the problem? It's only a matter of revision, practice, revision, practice...
    My issue is that if I can't remember what we've done in the first section, how am I supposed to remember double that information plus stress/anxiety in the exam? I'm probably worrying way too much and if I put my mind to it and actually started revising I'd remember a lot more but at the moment I'm kinda in a vicious cycle where I can't revise because I'm panicking, but then I'm panicking because I'm not revising

My issue is that if I can't remember what we've done in the first section, how am I supposed to remember double that information plus stress/anxiety in the exam? I'm probably worrying way too much and if I put my mind to it and actually started revising I'd remember a lot more but at the moment I'm kinda in a vicious cycle where I can't revise because I'm panicking, but then I'm panicking because I'm not revising
    You'll recover, just give it time. The exams are a good 4 - 6 months away so you have plenty of time to stop panicking. In the meantime, just take baby steps towards it.

ReputationRep:
    You'll recover, just give it time. The exams are a good 4 - 6 months away so you have plenty of time to stop panicking. In the meantime, just take baby steps towards it.
    I'll try Thanks To be fair I felt this way about Sociology last year and I ended up with an A so hopefully the same thing happens with Psychology this year

ReputationRep:
    Would is still get offer from uni during the christmas break??
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by dream_big)
    Would is still get offer from uni during the christmas break??
    University admissions get holidays, too.

They usually close around 20-24th December and reopen around the 5-7th January.

ReputationRep:

Stay positive! :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Stay positive! :unimpressed:
    I have days where I think it'll never happen and days where I think I can do anything I put my mind to. But I'm trying...

ReputationRep:
    I have days where I think it'll never happen and days where I think I can do anything I put my mind to. But I'm trying...

I have completely lost all my motivation and do not look forward for any day of the week, so I pretty much get what you mean

Have you planned out how you'rw going to use your christmas holidays?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 30, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.