Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The hardest thing for Rodgers to recover is the backing of fans. I think too many have lost patience with him now. There's only so much vocal criticism a manager can take before the owners eventually start taking note.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    The hardest thing for Rodgers to recover is the backing of fans. I think too many have lost patience with him now. There's only so much vocal criticism a manager can take before the owners eventually start taking note.
    Recent poll suggested 90% of fans want him gone.
    The owners will have already taken notice.

Inb4 loss to Carlisle
    If it got him sacked I wouldn't even care about a League Cup exit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Recent poll suggested 90% of fans want him gone.
    The owners will have already taken notice.

Inb4 loss to Carlisle
    If it got him sacked I wouldn't even care about a League Cup exit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is the issue he's got. He's very much a momentum manager, too. We've seen that time and time again. He thrives on runs, on getting streaks, and that makes me think that he'll never ever get the fans off his back. He could win his next ten matches now, but on the eleventh, he'll get fans wanting him gone.

We saw it to some extent in 2013-14. We won a dozen games on the bounce, but then Chelsea turned up and parked the bus and we lost the title. People blamed Rodgers - but managers can't go on winning forever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    This is the issue he's got. He's very much a momentum manager, too. We've seen that time and time again. He thrives on runs, on getting streaks, and that makes me think that he'll never ever get the fans off his back. He could win his next ten matches now, but on the eleventh, he'll get fans wanting him gone.

We saw it to some extent in 2013-14. We won a dozen games on the bounce, but then Chelsea turned up and parked the bus and we lost the title. People blamed Rodgers - but managers can't go on winning forever.
    That's just how things are in football - it can be really harsh on the manager but at the end of the day they've always done something to deserve it.
    They've performed terribly to lose the fans so they'd have to perform exceptionally to get them back.

As i said before, I agree that momentum is Rodgers' forte but the fact is that without some level of consistency, there's no point. He won 13 games on the bounce yet still didn't win the league so why does it matter?
    We went on an awesome run of games last season but that was just making up for other terrible performances.

He could win his next 10 manages, but then he'd give us relegation form for the 10 after that.
    That's just how Rodgers is and it's clear he has no place at this club.

ReputationRep:
    My concern is if we beat Carlisle by a decent margin tonight, FSG will take it as everything being okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    My concern is if we beat Carlisle by a decent margin tonight, FSG will take it as everything being okay.
    Carlisle are a League 2 side.
    If we don't win tonight he should be sacked on the spot anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    I know, but if we go and hammer them 5-0 it'll all be put down to bad luck/new signings bedding in/temporary blip/poor refereeing/insert excuse here, it'll take something drastic for FSG to sit up and take notice (i.e. if we genuinely struggle against them).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)

It's a little bit blown out of proportion since we needed 2 wins and a draw from the final three games which weren't that easy. I think it was just in the manner of what happened - Chelsea didn't look like they were trying to win outright and our collapse against Crystal Palace.

I reckon FSG will give him until early December at the earliest. You can't let a manager spend £70mil on players and then sack him after a few games.

On the other hand, if FSG have real faith in their transfer committee model and Rodgers doesn't have as much influence in picking the players we buy, I guess we could sack?

ReputationRep:
    Jurgen Klopp is expected to attend Liverpool's game with Aston Villa on Saturday.

Actually quite a few Jurgen Klopps are expected to attend.

The Daily Star reports that Twitter group The Anfield Chat has urged its 122,000 followers to send a message to the Liverpool board by turning up at the Villa game dressed as the former Borussia Dortmund gaffer.

The Twitter group is unhappy with the Reds performances under current boss Brendan Rodgers.

:rofl:

Lewandowski scored more league goals in nine minutes than Liverpool have this season

:eek:

ReputationRep:
    I know, but if we go and hammer them 5-0 it'll all be put down to bad luck/new signings bedding in/temporary blip/poor refereeing/insert excuse here, it'll take something drastic for FSG to sit up and take notice (i.e. if we genuinely struggle against them).
    Yeah true.
    Our only good performance this season was against Arsenal - every other good result has been down to pure luck. It's so sad.

Jurgen Klopp is expected to attend Liverpool's game with Aston Villa on Saturday.

Actually quite a few Jurgen Klopps are expected to attend.

The Daily Star reports that Twitter group The Anfield Chat has urged its 122,000 followers to send a message to the Liverpool board by turning up at the Villa game dressed as the former Borussia Dortmund gaffer.

The Twitter group is unhappy with the Reds performances under current boss Brendan Rodgers.

:rofl:
    Read the first line, got excited.
    Read the fest, facepalmed...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Some rumours yesterday that we contacted Ancheoltti's reps. Unsurprisingly LFC denied it. Not like they're going to say we have contacted him.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Interesting murmurings about FSG chatting to Ancelotti on the off chance the manager 'walks'. The club have denied any approach.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    We won't win by a decent margin. Two goals maybe, but no more.

(Original post by Lúcio)
    While I agree that it's obviously a game we should absolutely walk, the chances are tonight we'll use a young side and an inexperienced one at that.

The Northampton shambles was ridiculous during the Hodgson tenure, but his start was altogether worse than Rodgers' has been this season. We mustn't let emotion cloud judgement here.

Liverpool have been to Arsenal and Man United, but we're only two points behind the latter. We struggled against Norwich in terms of creativity, and lost shockingly to a West Ham side who managed to beat all three of us, Arsenal, and the future league champions City away from home.

This shouldn't be a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water - yet. I agree, Rodgers is struggling, but he was backed in the summer and the start this season is altogether more 'slow start' than 'sack' worthy imho.

I'm just playing Devil's advocate.

I reckon FSG will give him until early December at the earliest. You can't let a manager spend £70mil on players and then sack him after a few games.
    This is essentially what I'm getting at.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    We're also going to field a strong side v Carlisle apparently.

ReputationRep:
    There is no transfer committee anymore. The signings this summer were Brendan's own.

It is true that in isolation this season's start is just a spell of poor form but the underlying issues (Rodgers' judgement of players and team selection, inability to get a functioning midfield and misuse of Benteke) show no sign of improvement. Every year we don't make the top four, the financial gap increases. If we do let him get to Xmas then chances are that this season is a total write off. The new manager effect could however make a vital difference if FSG pulled the plug on Rodgers sooner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
    There is no transfer committee anymore. The signings this summer were Brendan's own.
    Don't think Firmino was, I'm sure the board just decided on a whim they wanted him.

(Original post by mr tim)
    Expecting something like the team we put out against Bordeaux, maybe with Bogdan in goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    Makes sense. What use is squad freshness at the end of the season if we're too far behind by that point?

What we need is some confidence, momentum and the players need to gel in a match day environment.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think Firmino was, I'm sure the board just decided on a whim they wanted him.

Expecting something like the team we put out against Bordeaux, maybe with Bogdan in goal.
    On what basis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pimped Butterfly)

It is true that in isolation this season's start is just a spell of poor form but the underlying issues (Rodgers' judgement of players and team selection, inability to get a functioning midfield and misuse of Benteke) show no sign of improvement. Every year we don't make the top four, the financial gap increases. If we do let him get to Xmas then chances are that this season is a total write off. The new manager effect could however make a vital difference if FSG pulled the plug on Rodgers sooner.

To be quite honest with you, my patience is wearing thin with the current owners we have at the helm, and unfortunately Brendan Rodgers is being made away the scapegoat. I am not absolving Brendan Rodger's responsibility in regards to our current predicament, but its damning verdict of the ambition of our current owners. The idea to employ a manager who has little or no previous experience of attaining a top 4 is startling, and reeks of an ownership that places a focus on minimum investment, maximum return, which unfortunately does not yield results on the football pitch. And before anyone brings up that analogy with Sir Alex, the latter was an accomplished manager having won silverware with Aberdeen prior to taking over Manchester United. The idea to employ a novice manager is a damning testament ofFSG and in Brendan they have the perfect yes man. In employing a novice manager in Brendan, FSG are well aware that Brendan has no bargaining power when it comes to transfer policy and the recruitment of players. Can you see Jurgen Klopp or Carlo, proven winners have their position undermined by a team of incompetent data statisticians such as the current Transfer Committee ?

Everyone says, hey Brendan Rodgers has spent X amount since he is been in charge. Granted Allen, Lallana, Borini and a few others have been his selected targets. But you will have a hard time persuading me that he is responsible for signing all of our players, particularly when he represents a mere 1 vote out of the current 5/6 on the Transfer Committee. The most damning testament of this has been signing of Markovic and Balotelli, players who were neither wanted by Rodgers who cost an approximate 36 Million. Where in comparison, Arsenal spent that money on Alexis Sanchez. I have a sneaking suspicion that our owners didn't really purse Sanchez with any real conviction, they probably thought signing Balotelli for 90 k a week and Markovic for 60K would be a lower risk than signing Alexis Sanchez for 200K a week at a fee of 35 Million.

This whole 'money ball' approach which is inspired by 'fictional fantasy baseball' of buying young players with high resale value is flawed in the sense that it does not give rise to long term success. As demonstrated by Atletico and Dortmund, it doesn't matter how much you win, players will always move on for a bigger pay packet. Furthermore, our owners net spend has been below par in comparison to our league rivals. Our owners have constantly been hiding behind this FFP facade, despite it being ignored by the biggest clubs in Europe.

In fact, Henry has even admitted that he would not have purchased the club without the implementation of FFP. Nothing suggests to me, from the perspective of a fan, that FSG are here to win. Everything points towards minimum investment in to the 'franchise' of LFC. It will be interesting to see if they consider selling up, particularly after FFP has gone up in smoke.

And don't anyone point to me about 2013/2014, as that was inspired by a player who comes once in a generation in Suarez. Suarez is the anomaly in FSG's ownership, and FSG would have to convince me otherwise by signing other proven world class talent in addition to holding on to our star players. Until that happens, I remain unconvinced by this ownership.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-d-S10)
    To be quite honest with you, my patience is wearing thin with the current owners we have at the helm, and unfortunately Brendan Rodgers is being made away the scapegoat. I am not absolving Brendan Rodger's responsibility in regards to our current predicament, but its damning verdict of the ambition of our current owners. The idea to employ a manager who has little or no previous experience of attaining a top 4 is startling, and reeks of an ownership that places a focus on minimum investment, maximum return, which unfortunately does not yield results on the football pitch. And before anyone brings up that analogy with Sir Alex, the latter was an accomplished manager having won silverware with Aberdeen prior to taking over Manchester United. The idea to employ a novice manager is a damning testament ofFSG and in Brendan they have the perfect yes man. In employing a novice manager in Brendan, FSG are well aware that Brendan has no bargaining power when it comes to transfer policy and the recruitment of players. Can you see Jurgen Klopp or Carlo, proven winners have their position undermined by a team of incompetent data statisticians such as the current Transfer Committee ?
    I don't think it is damning at all. Rodgers earned the job quite clearly. The owners negotiated with LVG, talked to Roberto Martinez and other highly rated managers before settling upon Rodgers' extremely thorough ideology on how to run the club from top to bottom. With his changes to the youth academy set to have a lasting legacy, and the profit the club has turned from Rodgers' development of Sterling and Suarez, I don't think that Rodgers has been a failure overall (until this point, but he could well be by the end of the season).

Everyone says, hey Brendan Rodgers has spent X amount since he is been in charge. Granted Allen, Lallana, Borini and a few others have been his selected targets. But you will have a hard time persuading me that he is responsible for signing all of our players, particularly when he represents a mere 1 vote out of the current 5/6 on the Transfer Committee. The most damning testament of this has been signing of Markovic and Balotelli, players who were neither wanted by Rodgers who cost an approximate 36 Million. Where in comparison, Arsenal spent that money on Alexis Sanchez. I have a sneaking suspicion that our owners didn't really purse Sanchez with any real conviction, they probably thought signing Balotelli for 90 k a week and Markovic for 60K would be a lower risk than signing Alexis Sanchez for 200K a week at a fee of 35 Million.
    You're right about absolving Rodgers of the blame of the committee. As it is, the same committee signed Sakho, Coutinho, Sturridge (two of them unwanted by Rodgers and a third with a bit of support from the manager) who are the three best players in our squad. It was working well until a point and Balotelli and possibly Markovic aside, there was nothing wrong in the committee's decision making process last year. Obviously the fact that Balotelli was allowed to happen is enough to end the existence of the committee, which is exactly what has happened now, with Rodgers taking control of the transfers. You are completely wrong about us not going for Alexis, we offered more wages and a larger transfer fee.

This whole 'money ball' approach which is inspired by 'fictional fantasy baseball' of buying young players with high resale value is flawed in the sense that it does not give rise to long term success. As demonstrated by Atletico and Dortmund, it doesn't matter how much you win, players will always move on for a bigger pay packet. Furthermore, our owners net spend has been below par in comparison to our league rivals. Our owners have constantly been hiding behind this FFP facade, despite it being ignored by the biggest clubs in Europe.
    Money ball isn't fictional. Google. I agree that our net spend is poor but what you're crying about now is not having a sugar daddy owner, what's your point?
    In fact, Henry has even admitted that he would not have purchased the club without the implementation of FFP. Nothing suggests to me, from the perspective of a fan, that FSG are here to win. Everything points towards minimum investment in to the 'franchise' of LFC. It will be interesting to see if they consider selling up, particularly after FFP has gone up in smoke.
    I'm sure they'll consider selling. It doesn't make financial sense for them, we're not going to continue competing (and pulling in the profits that FSG are interested in) at our current net spend, which is under what the club makes itself, let alone any added FSG funds.

Until that happens, I remain unconvinced by this ownership.
    They're not sugar daddies. They're businessmen who focus on efficiency and better sporting strategy than their rivals. It's worked for them with massive success before. If you've ever thought we're owned by an Abramovich equivalent then you're sorely wrong, and there's no point crying about it.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.