Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I hope so
    In the New Testament people didn't "hope" they were born again, they knew precisely when by God's independent witness of speaking in tongues and all the other things that followed that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes !!

ReputationRep:
    church feels like my third home. they sheltered me after I was living with no direction in my life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brent_)
    church feels like my third home. they sheltered me after I was living with no direction in my life

Have you managed to find direction now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    Have you managed to find direction now?
    of course I did!
    The good 'ole Proverbs 3:5 did it for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brent_)
    of course I did!
    The good 'ole Proverbs 3:5 did it for me

That is an amazing verse, so glad things turned out well for you.

Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

I like The Message bible's translation too

Proverbs 3:5-12The Message (MSG)5-12

Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
    don’t try to figure out everything on your own.
    Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
    he’s the one who will keep you on track.
    Don’t assume that you know it all.
    Run to God! Run from evil!
    Your body will glow with health,
    your very bones will vibrate with life!
    Honour God with everything you own;
    give him the first and the best.
    Your barns will burst,
    your wine vats will brim over.
    But don’t, dear friend, resent God’s discipline;
    don’t sulk under his loving correction.
    It’s the child he loves that God corrects;
    a father’s delight is behind all this.

ReputationRep:
    The grands were born again Christians. As my grandad pointed out in his dry humourous way, they'd a lot of sins to be forgiven before popping their clogs. Granny got right into the whole thing but Grandad told her straight after one particularly hideously embarrassing sermon when Granny ended rolling about on the floor 'speaking in tongues' (howling like a banshee) that if she ever did anything like that again he'd walk out and never go back. Up in the north east of Scotland such behaviour would be seriously frowned upon! I loved my granny but now as a young adult myself I can understand why my mum rocks with laughter when she re-tells the tale because my granny was a little stout lady, small and round enough to literally roll about the floor. Granny took on the unofficial role of chief recruiter for their church which meant every phone call she had with my mum ended in a fight since mum just refused point blank to have anything to do with it. She just said her church is in her heart and she didn't need ritual to be good or bad. She also annoyed my granny by pointing out to her all she was doing was bankrolling someone higher up the food chain in a multi-million pound lifestyle and would be better keeping her pension in her own purse.

When I'm forced to go to Church for school events - I'm in the orchestra - i find it entertaining because our music director is superb at putting together excellent programmes of music and singing. Other than that I'd never consider going to church and most probably will never step foot inside one again other than to attend weddings baptisms and funerals. Churches - all of them - are rich enough to be able to wipe out world poverty. They choose not to. That makes them rank hypocrites - in my opinion at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nverjvlev)
    Speaking in tounges is a sign of being baptised in the holy spirit, not necessarily a sign of being born again,
    This is what AoG teach, but in the bible the terms "born again" / "born of the Spirit" / receiving the holy Spirit and being baptised in the Holy Spirit are used interchangeably.

" by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body" (1 Cor. 12:13)

So, the baptism in the Spirit is the born again experience

however it is biblical to baptised in water then the holy spirit straight after being born again. Unfortunately very few churches put this into practice - most people have to wait weeks or months for a baptismal service and some christians never speak in tounges.
    People have this idea that a "Christian" is someone who has mde a sincere confession, perhaps backed up by baptism, whereas the bible definition is one who has actually receied the Holy Spirit.

"you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his" (Romans 8:9)

It was known that sincere believers had not yet received the Holy Spirit - see Acts 8:12-16 for example:

"when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
    Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.
    Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
    Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
    (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)"

However, if you repent for your sins and ask Jesus into your life, the Bible teaches that you have been born again. The whole point is that you have faith in what you believe, not in how you feel.
    This phrase "ask Jesus into your life" is not actually in the bible but it could be correct depending on what is meant by the phrase.

For many it's kind of "accept that Jesus died for your sins and ask him in then accept by faith that he is in", whereas Jesus himself taught that he is not in until you receive the Holy Spirit, and you know the day (John 14:17-20) and "ask" means crave, because you realise you have nothing and nothing to offer those you care for (Luke 11:5-13).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougallnDougall)
    The grands were born again Christians. As my grandad pointed out in his dry humourous way, they'd a lot of sins to be forgiven before popping their clogs. Granny got right into the whole thing but Grandad told her straight after one particularly hideously embarrassing sermon when Granny ended rolling about on the floor 'speaking in tongues' (howling like a banshee) that if she ever did anything like that again he'd walk out and never go back.
    Your Gran obviously went to a church that wasn't following the clear instructions given to the immature Corinthian church in chapter 14 about what God says he wants in meetings.
    Sadly many modern churches are just as short-sighted becuase they also ignore what is said, the result is that the vast majority of people have never even been to a meeting where worship is as God wants!

(Original post by DougallnDougall)
    When I'm forced to go to Church for school events - I'm in the orchestra - i find it entertaining because our music director is superb at putting together excellent programmes of music and singing. Other than that I'd never consider going to church and most probably will never step foot inside one again other than to attend weddings baptisms and funerals. Churches - all of them - are rich enough to be able to wipe out world poverty. They choose not to. That makes them rank hypocrites - in my opinion at least.
    The truth is that most people have never set foot inside what Jesus would call his church.
    You agree with him by rejecting hypocrisy, maybe one day you will find yourself "poor in spirit" and find he is right about that too.

Name:  Jesus bench.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  56.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Your Gran obviously went to a church that wasn't following the clear instructions given to the immature Corinthian church in chapter 14 about what God says he wants in meetings.
    Sadly many modern churches are just as short-sighted becuase they also ignore what is said, the result is that the vast majority of people have never even been to a meeting where worship is as God wants!

The truth is that most people have never set foot inside what Jesus would call his church.
    You agree with him by rejecting hypocrisy, maybe one day you will find yourself "poor in spirit" and find he is right about that too.

Name:  Jesus bench.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  56.5 KB

They definitely weren't what I'd consider Christian people that's for sure. My aunt got suckered in along with my Granny. She met a man and he moved in with her. When the church folk found out, she was taken aside and advised that she wasn't that welcome in their gathering anymore. She'd been into it big time and I think was quite hurt that they turned their backs on her. Ah well it wasn't long after that that the Pastor and his wife moved away rather quickly because he was having an affair with somebody else's wife. What a loser and hypocrite of the highest order.

ReputationRep:
    No, my nana took us a couple of times when we were very you and my school made us go at the end of term but never of my own accord

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    That is an amazing verse, so glad things turned out well for you.

Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

I like The Message bible's translation too

Proverbs 3:5-12The Message (MSG)5-12

Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
    don’t try to figure out everything on your own.
    Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
    he’s the one who will keep you on track.
    Don’t assume that you know it all.
    Run to God! Run from evil!
    Your body will glow with health,
    your very bones will vibrate with life!
    Honour God with everything you own;
    give him the first and the best.
    Your barns will burst,
    your wine vats will brim over.
    But don’t, dear friend, resent God’s discipline;
    don’t sulk under his loving correction.
    It’s the child he loves that God corrects;
    a father’s delight is behind all this.
    Amen! The Message translation makes it easy for me in some cases.

ReputationRep:
    How many of you have been baptised?

ReputationRep:
    I was baptised when I was a baby. Apparently I slept through it. I wore the family Christening gown which looks like this. Name:  1455121795104.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  30.8 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katty3)
    I was baptised when I was a baby. Apparently I slept through it. I wore the family Christening gown which looks like this. Name:  1455121795104.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  30.8 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was Christened as a baby too,in the Middle East tho. That gown looks like what I expected. So simple and elegant

ReputationRep:
    I was Christened as a baby too,in the Middle East tho. That gown looks like what I expected. So simple and elegant
    Thanks! I'm not sure how old it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Mee. and yes i go church every other week and when there is special occasions eg xmas and easter. Although ours is of a certain denomination (malankara syrian orthodox) and it's done in a different indian language

May i ask which denomination you are? (There are so freaking many!!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoDoneWithSchool)
    Mee. and yes i go church every other week and when there is special occasions eg xmas and easter. Although ours is of a certain denomination (malankara syrian orthodox) and it's done in a different indian language

May i ask which denomination you are? (There are so freaking many!!!)
    I'm a Coptic Christian which originated in Egypt. They have one church here in London for Copts next to my house,just on Kensington high street

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Coptic Christian which originated in Egypt. They have one church here in London for Copts next to my house,just on Kensington high street
    Ayy a coptic orthodox! Nicee
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Wishing those of you who are practising Christians, a blessed Lent :jebus:

:wavey:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 20, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.