Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exo97)
    I hope to meet you too, provided I meet the requirements lol. I got AAAAA in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Electronics and Computing. This year I am doing only 4 (all except Computing ironically). I am unable to do computing this year as I am the only person in my year wanting to do it, so they won't offer me computing for the second year. I need to get A*A*AA with the A* being in Maths and Further Maths and then the A's in Physics and Electronics.

I did a bit of programming. I won't say that I have done a lot of really heavy programming but I have done basic stuff. I took part in student robotics for example. Good luck.
    (Original post by zshn)
    Yep, my offer's A*AA

There are a lot of details about STEP/AEA offers in this Freedom of Information request that Imperial responded to: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ncoming-686012

From the spreadsheet attached to their reply to that request: in the 2014-2015 application period, 19.5% of BEng applicants and 14.5% of MEng applicants received STEP/AEA offers, so it seems unlikely that your offer will include it.
    Thanks for your replies. Judging from the foi request placing emphasis on an applicant's free time in regards to whether they'll get an AEA requirement or not, it's likely I could get an AEA offer seeing as I'm only doing 3 A levels plus the epq, but then again I'd rather have to do the AEA than get 2A*s (I think). I'm almost surprised I'm getting an interview in the first place lol, I got AAB at AS in Maths, further maths and computing. But it could of been the personal statement that has gotten me it seeing as I do a fair amount of computing related stuff. Well I'll hope for the best, good luck to you.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone not got an interview yet (or a rejection)? All of my friends that have applied for Imperial have had interviews and offers back, and I haven't even heard an interview date.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone not got an interview yet (or a rejection)? All of my friends that have applied for Imperial have had interviews and offers back, and I haven't even heard an interview date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jabberjay_)
    Thanks for your replies. Judging from the foi request placing emphasis on an applicant's free time in regards to whether they'll get an AEA requirement or not, it's likely I could get an AEA offer seeing as I'm only doing 3 A levels plus the epq, but then again I'd rather have to do the AEA than get 2A*s (I think). I'm almost surprised I'm getting an interview in the first place lol, I got AAB at AS in Maths, further maths and computing. But it could of been the personal statement that has gotten me it seeing as I do a fair amount of computing related stuff. Well I'll hope for the best, good luck to you.
    I'm only doing 3 A Levels + EPQ, but they didn't give me a STEP/AEA offer. I think it's pretty unlikely to get one unless you mention that you're already doing STEP/AEA, or if you haven't done Further Maths at A Level.

When's your interview?

ReputationRep:
    anyone heard back from the interview on the 3rd Feb?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tribe)
    I hope we don't get murdered silently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zshn)
    I'm only doing 3 A Levels + EPQ, but they didn't give me a STEP/AEA offer. I think it's pretty unlikely to get one unless you mention that you're already doing STEP/AEA, or if you haven't done Further Maths at A Level.

When's your interview?
    Its next Wednesday.

Did anyone here apply with no prior computing experience?
    I was thinking of next year but I have never done computing, not even at National 5(GCSE equivalent) level -would that put me at a disadvantage?

ReputationRep:
    Its next Wednesday.
    Good luck! I made a pretty detailed post about how the interview goes a few pages back in this thread, feel free to look it over, hope it helps

(Original post by Mystery.)
    I was thinking of next year but I have never done computing, not even at National 5(GCSE equivalent) level -would that put me at a disadvantage?
    Nope, I mentioned the fact that I'd never studied Computing before as a positive, because it means that you've developed the motivation to study it independently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zshn)

When's your interview?
    I know a guy who's doing 4 A Levels + EPQ, and has an offer from Cambridge but Imperial still want him to do STEP. He said that he thought he did terribly in the Imperial interview though, especially on the Maths parts so that might be it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lionbiscuit)
    I know a guy who's doing 4 A Levels + EPQ, and has an offer from Cambridge but Imperial still want him to do STEP. He said that he thought he did terribly in the Imperial interview though, especially on the Maths parts so that might be it?
    If you look at the Freedom of Information request I posted earlier in this thread, it said that they consider if you have enough time and ability to achieve an AEA/STEP offer before giving you one. So because he's a stronger candidate, but did kinda badly in the interview, they gave him a STEP offer to stretch and challenge him? They talked about stretching people to prepare them for Uni through a high offer.

ReputationRep:
    Still waiting on an interview or rejection. Couldn't even care which any more, just want to know. If the last interview day really was the 17th then... yeah. Does look like there might be one March 2nd actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamieOH)
    Still waiting on an interview or rejection. Couldn't even care which any more, just want to know. If the last interview day really was the 17th then... yeah. Does look like there might be one March 2nd actually.
    What did you get for AS levels?

ReputationRep:
    What did you get for AS levels?
    Pretty poor, AABB - but predicted A*AA.

ReputationRep:
    I'm emailing them tomorrow asking whether there's one on March 2nd or not. If they say yes there's some hope, if they say no I'm gonna be pissed because that means I/we have been rejected and they could've told us a week ago when they already knew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingKumar)
    I'm emailing them tomorrow asking whether there's one on March 2nd or not. If they say yes there's some hope, if they say no I'm gonna be pissed because that means I/we have been rejected and they could've told us a week ago when they already knew.
    Aha yeah. Well let me know what they say. I'm in the same boat for UCL as well, it's just depressing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingKumar)
    Keep us posted

ReputationRep:
    Aha yeah. Well let me know what they say. I'm in the same boat for UCL as well, it's just depressing.
    (Original post by edothero)
    Keep us posted
    It would be quicker to just call the department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystery.)
    If your Maths is strong and can show that you have an interest in computing even with something small you will not be at a disadvantage at all.

ReputationRep:
    They haven't replied to the email yet, guess it would've been much better to call like Jabberjay said. They replied after 10 minutes the last time I emailed so I just expected the same this time.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.