Turn on thread page Beta

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    These people have no respect for those who find it offensive, they have an intolerant mindset, if you don't accept homosexuality then they will demonise you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slade p)
    These people have no respect for those who find it offensive, they have an intolerant mindset, if you don't accept homosexuality then they will demonise you.
    Have you heard of the paradox of tolerance? Karl Popper defines it here: "Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them."

"We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant."

Therein lies the difference. One should not respect or tolerate those who espouse bigotry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz123)
    Have you heard of the paradox of tolerance? Karl Popper defines it here: "Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them."

"We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant."

Therein lies the difference. One should not respect or tolerate those who espouse bigotry.
    You are an intolerant bigot against those who are against homosexuality, so they should not tolerate you and others like you. Homosexuality is bad for male female relations and to society so it should not be legalised and normalised in society. They should just practice it in private.

ReputationRep:
    You are an intolerant bigot against those who are against homosexuality, so they should not tolerate you and others like you. Homosexuality is bad for male female relations and to society so it should not be legalised and normalised in society. They should just practice it in private.
    Your post looks like you just bashed on a keyboard and were happy with the results. I just pointed out to you why someone is not a bigot if they are against bigots (homophobes, racists, etc.) and you've neither taken the time nor acknowledged the paradox I presented in my last post.

One wonders why, since you hold such deep seated hatred for homosexuality that you want it criminalized, that you're even OK with gay people kissing in private. I mean, why not take all their freedoms away from them? Their so ewww right, so they deserve it. Oh wait, no they don't. They're deserve all the same rights and freedoms heterosexuals have, and same love should be just as acceptable as hetero love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz123)
    Right, fair enough.

Stereotypes and generalisations such as 'all black men steal' or 'no gay couple would be good parents' aren't cool, and I think you agree. I think we should just leave it here tbh, we seem to have reached some sort of agreement.
    Yeah, agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kristen2)
    Don't stop there!
    How about if it was a man and a child? A woman and a dog? A man and a dead person?

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't have put it better myself

ReputationRep:
    And rightly so, why should hateful intolerance be tolerated?

And to say homophobes are being 'demonised' is a bit extreme don't you think? I really don't know what you're hoping to achieve by making the absurd notion that somehow you're actually the ones being demonised here, that I should feel sorry for you because your nasty, intolerant views are being ridiculed. Your views will be criticised and ridiculed, but that's it, I can't say I've ever heard of anyone being abused in the street, beaten up, thrown in jail, or even murdered for homophobia. Needless to say I certainly have for homosexuality, and that's not even something that can be changed, whereas with a bit of education and logical thinking, homophobia is certainly something you can change.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think that hetero couples kissing might be offensive for others too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAre Teh Lejend)
    It offends some peoples moral or religious beliefs or both.
    If you find kissing (which is a natural act) distasteful then you are the one with the problem. You cannot be offended by something somebody does that does not involve you at all.

Regardless, why does it offend people? Oh my gosh it's 2015. It's actually been said that Jesus defended homosexuals. Did God not teach to love everybody? In any case, if it bothers you, just ignore it. Don't be such an arrogant prick, okie?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.