Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm a feminist, ask me anything! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsLyanna)
    I have to admit, I laughed :P
    I went to a feminist picnic the other day.
    It was great, apart from the fact no one made any sandwiches.

ReputationRep:
    Title says it all - I'm bored and would like to see what the general perception of feminism is on here. Ask away! ^^
    You may or may not have already been asked this but, women on the frontline in the thick of the action in conflicts and war-zones, yes or no? why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xavier617)
    You may or may not have already been asked this but, women on the frontline in the thick of the action in conflicts and war-zones, yes or no? why?
    If they want to, I guess. But I don't really support wars, so... *shrug*

ReputationRep:
    If they want to, I guess. But I don't really support wars, so... *shrug*
    completely unrelated to feminism, but why don't you support wars? (assuming you mean all wars)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Title says it all - I'm bored and would like to see what the general perception of feminism is on here. Ask away! ^^
    If it is ok that women dominate nursing, is it ok if men dominate another field?
    Is it ok that men pay more in every stage of a relationship from the first date untill divorce?
    Should women in small business be paid as much as men if they take two years off (maternity leave), and if a man did they same surely he should keep his pay?
    What do you think of the male right's movement?
    Why are men discriminated against in courts?Men get longer sentences for the same crimes as women.
    Do you think the q'uran is sexist?
    Do you think that muslims have anything to do with rochester, oxford and other scandals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xavier617)
    completely unrelated to feminism, but why don't you support wars? (assuming you mean all wars)
    Because often there's a diplomatic solution, which is being ignored out of greed.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps not overt ones, but, for example, men have the privilege of the male gaze (you can define how society views women), the privilege of safety (you can be on your own in many places without being scared), the privilege of sexual privacy (women are subject to scrutiny for every sexual action they undertake, men are not (so many gendered slurs revolve around sexuality)) and the privilege of representation (all male characters are, by default, a good representation).
    "All male characters by default are a good representation" What does that even mean?

I'm pretty sure if I slept around, my family would hate me. That is just how life is, you have to take accountability for your actions.

I do not feel safe in the streets, on my own especially, I'm not armed, I don't have any fighting skills.

I have no control over how anyone thinks, especially how people think about women. If a woman slanders me, that is more likely to take a drastic affect on my life than it would the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    If it is ok that women dominate nursing, is it ok if men dominate another field?
    Is it ok that men pay more in every stage of a relationship from the first date untill divorce?
    Should women in small business be paid as much as men if they take two years off (maternity leave), and if a man did they same surely he should keep his pay?
    What do you think of the male right's movement?
    Why are men discriminated against in courts?Men get longer sentences for the same crimes as women.
    Do you think the q'uran is sexist?
    Do you think that muslims have anything to do with rochester, oxford and other scandals?
    No, no
    No
    Yes, yes
    It's not really needed since feminism (in its equality based form) addresses those issues - also, it's full of a lot of misogynists.
    Because the patriarchy shows men to have more power and thus are seen as more dangerous.
    Yes - I think all religions' holy books are.
    Could you please summarize these? I'm not sure what you mean from the places alone.

ReputationRep:
    No, no
    No
    Yes, yes
    It's not really needed since feminism (in its equality based form) addresses those issues - also, it's full of a lot of misogynists.
    Because the patriarchy shows men to have more power and thus are seen as more dangerous.
    Could you please summarize these? I'm not sure what you mean from the places alone.
    "Because the patriarchy shows men to have more power and thus are seen as more dangerous."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    "All male characters by default are a good representation" What does that even mean?
    It means that male characters in films, shows, games etc, are going to be a realistic representation of men.

(Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    I do not feel safe in the streets, on my own especially, I'm not armed, I don't have any fighting skills.
    I understand that. But my point is that it's not just the streets. At parties or bars, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blue Axolotl)
    "Because the patriarchy shows men to have more power and thus are seen as more dangerous."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:
    Like I said before, the patriarchy has negative effects on men as well. You'd understand that, if you listened to what I've said previously.

ReputationRep:
    Like I said before, the patriarchy has negative effects on men as well. You'd understand that, if you listened to what I've said previously.
    This is Burden of Proof.

Fallacy, after fallacy, after fallacy, after fallacy, after fallacy...

ReputationRep:
    Can you please help changing the feminism movement into an equality movement, not a parade for more female rights.

I literally see things on twitter like "this guy rejected me the other day and said "it's because you're a girl" OMG how sexist is this country, oh I hate the mysoginy". Turns out the guy was gay.

Any feminist that accepts that the pay gap is a myth based off of manipulated statistics to suit the agenda of feminists, is a person that I will happily talk to and even support if necessary. But seriously, why to feminists strive to make everything seem sexist?

Also please explain why there's not allowed to be more of one sex in an occupation? It makes no difference whatsoever. It's based off of preferences and general characteristics of each gender, not fricking gender equality.

ReputationRep:
    It means that male characters in films, shows, games etc, are going to be a realistic representation of men.

I understand that. But my point is that it's not just the streets. At parties or bars, for example.
    In what way are men accurately represented in these mediums?
    (Hugely generalising but) Most men play roles of serial killers, rapists, thugs ect general villians, and then you have the generic heroes and perfect father figures. So is that how you see men? because I like to think people are more complex than that.

Why is this a privilege?

I wouldn't go alone to a party or bar... because it's stupid, obviously I wouldn't feel safe, because I wouldn't know anyone there, I would feel totally out of place, anyone could just up and jump me, beat me up outside and take my wallet. (or, you know, worse)

Only someone with no sense or awareness of danger would feel safe everywhere.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, no
    No
    Yes, yes
    I just wanted to see if you weren't a dogmatic feminist, and I pretty much agree with you. Personally I think feminism has moved on from electoral suffrage into the new era of equality, which includes men and women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    I just wanted to see if you weren't a dogmatic feminist, and I pretty much agree with you. Personally I think feminism has moved on from electoral suffrage into the new era of equality, which includes men and women.
    It didn't just go from suffrage to equality.. There still isn't full equality.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you not label yourself an egalitarian?

ReputationRep:
    The new meninist AMA is here !
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3716671

ReputationRep:
    It didn't just go from suffrage to equality.. There still isn't full equality.
    What are you missing out on then?

Don't say wage gap, because that is the biggest pile of nonsensical mythology I've ever heard of.

ReputationRep:
    Because often there's a diplomatic solution, which is being ignored out of greed.
    How do you propose we should go about negotiating with Boko haram or ISIL? (I know we're not technically at war, but we are involved in fighting ISIL/IS/ISIS, and Boko Haram are a growing threat)

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.