Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mlicircum)
    I found out today I got accepted into HRHA at sciences po! But I also got into Columbia University's human rights MA program! Such a hard decision. I'm from NYC so I would love to experience Paris but should I really turn down Columbia for Sciences Po?? SP is half the price and I already have a MPH so the one year masters mid career program at SP fits me better... but they are both such good schools...
    Hi Mlicircum, congratulations for you!!!! They both are! It must be difficult for you! I would say you should choose SciPo and Paris experience (though Columbia seems irresistible :\)! But I think SciPo will give you a plus point as it'll give you new experiences abroad aside from the cheaper fee and everything else you said there - and it's Paris!! But I may be a bit subjective in this case since I'll be in SciPo.. But yeah totally understandable that it's difficult to choose! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mlicircum)
    I found out today I got accepted into HRHA at sciences po! But I also got into Columbia University's human rights MA program! Such a hard decision. I'm from NYC so I would love to experience Paris but should I really turn down Columbia for Sciences Po?? SP is half the price and I already have a MPH so the one year masters mid career program at SP fits me better... but they are both such good schools...
    Both will look good on your CV. Would you rather the international experience, learn a language? the chance to work in Europe for a bit? Or are you quite content in the states/looking for a job in the US ?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, congratulations and I wish you every success!

I very much want to apply for the International Security Studies MA at Science Po, but I wonder if you could give me some opinions on my 2017 application.

From what I have read, I meet the requirements, but it seems as though my rival candidates sometimes surpass my credentials. So I would like to know your opinions on my likelihood of acceptance. Thank you:

- 2:1 History Degree from the University of Essex
    - Distinction MA in Theory and Practice of Human Rights from the University of Essex (A very good Human Rights school)
    - Erasmus at Charles University in Prague
    - Volunteering and teaching work in an NGO in Nablus, Palestine
    - Basic Russian Language certificate
    - Intermediate French Language certificate

The issues is that I have no big impressive internships yet, as I haven't given myself enough time.

All the best,
    Luke!

ReputationRep:
    Are any of you going to the Global Education Fair on Sunday? http://globaleducationfairs.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    Hey Luke,

Sounds to me like you have pretty good qualifications. Keep in mind that the French students who do both undergraduate and graduate school at Sciences Po generally go straight from one to the other-- which is to say, none of them have big impressive internships to report. (They have all done one semester abroad, but really-- all of the international students have them beat on that, and you are no exception.) Of course, we also know that admission is more competitive for international students than for French students.

They also definitely value students with some French under their belts (which is not to say that there aren't a lot of students who don't speak French, because there are).

I think the most important thing is to have a solid motivation letter that really explains WHY you want to apply and how it is the logical next step in your academic/professional advancement. In your case, that will mean explaining how a second master's degree makes sense for you.

I graduated from Sciences Po this year (2016) with my master's.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    I have experience volunteering in a Developement NGO in Palestine, so development practice within a conflict context. I suppose anything counts depending on how you sell it in the application. Do you have any?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dtox)
    I'm looking to apply in 2017 for international security masters. For those applying for international security, do you have any relevant work experience?
    I'm applying for the same program. I have experience in development work in Palestine, and an analytics internship at RFE/RL. I suppose it depends really on how you can relate to what you've done.

Have you any experience?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys applying to Sciences Po, how's it going?

Have to say they have been very responsive so far, much more than other UK unis I've applied to. I got my "admissible" email just a few days ago informing me that they'll give me their decision no later than mid-december!

How about you?

ReputationRep:
    I applied in 2017 and still waiting to hear from them, did you apply, were you picked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonsieurD)
    I applied in 2017 and still waiting to hear from them, did you apply, were you picked?
    hey, when did you apply ? Do you know how long it may take to get any results?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoxanaC)
    hey, when did you apply ? Do you know how long it may take to get any results?
    I was told by the international affairs manager, sub Saharan Africa to wait for about six weeks after submitting my application. My six weeks end in two days

ReputationRep:
    I was told by the international affairs manager, sub Saharan Africa to wait for about six weeks after submitting my application. My six weeks end in two days
    lucky you! it means I have to wait quite a while...

ReputationRep:
    lucky you! it means I have to wait quite a while...
    When did you submit yours?

ReputationRep:
    When did you submit yours?
    few days ago was put officially under review. what course did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    few days ago was put officially under review. what course did you apply for?
    International Development...you? My deadline for applying was 15th March

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.