Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016 watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find the Edexcel FP3 exam?
    Very hard
    8.40%
    Hard
    14.14%
    Normal
    31.97%
    Easy
    33.81%
    Very easy
    11.68%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Cheers, sounds good. It's a really lovely topic; I used to do those questions before starting FP3 because they just made intuitive sense; glad it's clicked for you too.
    I really like fp3, more than fp2. Just wish I had started learning it a bit earlier

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CALI1198)
    I really like fp3, more than fp2. Just wish I had started learning it a bit earlier

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    FP3 is ages away, there's plenty of time left. :yes:

I don't like some of the topics in FP3; the vectors/matrices feels a little 'bleh' to me, but the rest is an absolute ball.

ReputationRep:
    FP3 is ages away, there's plenty of time left. :yes:

I don't like some of the topics in FP3; the vectors/matrices feels a little 'bleh' to me, but the rest is an absolute ball.
    Vectors and matrices are abit boring tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Vectors and matrices are abit boring tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeh, I agree. It's all so formulaic and mechanical.

ReputationRep:
    Hi other lucky students who do FP3
    How do you practise? I thought I'd do all the past papers from 2009 but it may not be enough? Where do you find other materials?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawlieto)
    Hi other lucky students who do FP3
    How do you practise? I thought I'd do all the past papers from 2009 but it may not be enough? Where do you find other materials?
    That's what I'm doing. I don't really see the point of anything else.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I'm doing. I don't really see the point of anything else.
    Exactly, the book has some good questions but some of them are from the old syllabus and I don't think they'd come up...

I'm just a bit afraid I may not do enough practise for FP2/FP3

ReputationRep:
    I'm just a bit afraid I may not do enough practise for FP2/FP3
    Perhaps you're overestimating the modules?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you're overestimating the modules?
    You think so? I have an A*A*A offer so I suppose I'm stressed over .... everything I've done well so far in past papers but last year in FP1 I didn't get a high A so that made me doubt myself

ReputationRep:
    You think so? I have an A*A*A offer so I suppose I'm stressed over .... everything I've done well so far in past papers but last year in FP1 I didn't get a high A so that made me doubt myself
    Yeah, I understand what you mean; A*A*A + 1, 1 in II, III here. I also got a crappy A in FP1 last year too, but that was more of because of 1 tiny error = 9 lost UMS. :lol: I'm sure a few years of past paper should be fine for FP2/3. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I understand what you mean; A*A*A + 1, 1 in II, III here. I also got a crappy A in FP1 last year too, but that was more of because of 1 tiny error = 9 lost UMS. :lol: I'm sure a few years of past paper should be fine for FP2/3. :yep:
    I didn't even apply for maths yet I spend every day doing it. I've done STEP papers for fun. Good luck!
    I think I didn't prepare enough for FP1 or I was panicking... I don't know.
    What was your mistake in FP1? I think I got something wrong in the last question (like completely wrong) and I had other minor mistakes

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even apply for maths yet I spend every day doing it. I've done STEP papers for fun. Good luck!
    I think I didn't prepare enough for FP1 or I was panicking... I don't know.
    What was your mistake in FP1? I think I got something wrong in the last question (like completely wrong) and I had other minor mistakes
    Yeah, STEP is a whole different ball game when your offer depends on it. What have you applied for and where? I did it in January 2016 (international), I miscopied something from one page to the next. Annoying, but bleh.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, STEP is a whole different ball game when your offer depends on it. What have you applied for and where? I did it in January 2016 (international), I miscopied something from one page to the next. Annoying, but bleh.
    I applied for chemistry and have an offer from Oxford. I bet you have an offer from Cambridge or Imperial? I wish there were January exams available for us It would make my life so much easier.

Even if you copied something wrong didn't you get ECF marks? Sent for a remark perhaps? You would definitely deserve error carried forward marks.

I actually love maths (I wouldn't do it at uni though, I kind of want to apply maths and make use of it for physics and chemistry) but A level has been so disappointing, it's mainly about preparing for exams and we weren't even taught differentiation from first principles.. I can do all sort of tricks with matrices but I have no idea what they are good for

ReputationRep:
    I actually love maths (I wouldn't do it at uni though, I kind of want to apply maths and make use of it for physics and chemistry) but A level has been so disappointing, it's mainly about preparing for exams and we weren't even taught differentiation from first principles.. I can do all sort of tricks with matrices but I have no idea what they are good for
    I second this - I'll have to spend the summer actually learning where these things come from because they're going to skip over it for me in uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    I second this - I'll have to spend the summer actually learning where these things come from because they're going to skip over it for me in uni.
    I now how you feel... I want to learn where these things came from too.
    I found a very good PDF book on calculus, I'll PM you

ReputationRep:
    I applied for chemistry and have an offer from Oxford. I bet you have an offer from Cambridge or Imperial? I wish there were January exams available for us It would make my life so much easier.
    Yeah, Cambridge (turned down Imperial and insured Warwick). Jan exams aren't that great, but they're useful, I suppose. Managed to get pretty much every module except A2 physics and FP2/3 done then. :yep:

Even if you copied something wrong didn't you get ECF marks? Sent for a remark perhaps? You would definitely deserve error carried forward marks.
    Nah, lost two accuracy marks for each co-ordinate. It was miscopied at the very last line.

Yeah, I guess if you're a maths offer holder you can afford to kind of ignore the A-Level stuff since they're basically free A*'s with no effort and just focus your efforts on learning cool maths and STEP. At least you get the (really long!) summer off where you can explore some maths before going off to uni.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me understand this question please (go to page 91)

https://9ccd9b5f157a67423e5533d7dfd0...XFSYzg/CH5.pdf

it says the straight line has an equation

\mathbf{r} \times \vec{OM} = \begin{pmatrix} 5 \\ 0 \\ -10 \end{pmatrix}

From what I understand already; one way of expressing the equation of a line is

\mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{a} = \mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b}

So why have they taken \vec{OM} as \mathbf{b}?

Shouldn't \vec{OM} be \mathbf{a}?

And also shouldn't it be \mathbf{b} = \begin{vmatrix} \mathbf{i} & \mathbf{j} & \mathbf{k} \\-4 & 1 & -2 \\x & y & z \end{vmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 5 \\ 0 \\ -10 \end{pmatrix}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)
    You might want to re-look up the part about vector equations of a line in your textbook.

What the vector equation of the line says is that (r-\mathbf{a}) \times \mathbf{b} = 0 and this should make utter sense to you (I'm going to stop using bold henceforth, know I'm referring to vectors) because what this is saying is that (r-a) is parallel to b (hence the cross product is zero; can you see why this is true from the |a||b| sin theta definition of the cross product, what happens when theta is 0?)

So, anyways - the (r-a) \times b = 0 says that r-a is (general point on the line) - (some fixed point on the line) and this gives you some multiple of the direction vector of the line, yeah? Basically: (r-a) \times b = 0 is where r is the general point, a is some fixed initial point and b is the direction vector.

In more concrete terms, if you have a line with equation r = \mathbf{a} + \lambda \mathbf{b} (by the way, if you subtract a from both sides you get (r-a) = lambda b which is saying what...?) then this is equivalent to (r-\mathbf{a}) \times \mathb{b} = 0.

With this secured in your head; we can then expand (r-a) \times b = 0 \Rightarrow r \times b = a \times b, where b is the direction vector and a is some fixed point on the line.

Does that clear it all up?

Edit: Basically, I wrote up some long derivation for you when all you really wanted to know is that

(r-a) \times b = 0 \Rightarrow  r \times  b = a \times b and not r\times a = a\times b

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I literally looked in by book to see that its \mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{b} = \mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b}

I must have been very tired when I wrote my notes, my bad :laugh:

My notes literally say:

Four forms of a straight line;
    \mathbf{r}  = \mathbf{a} + t\mathbf{b}
    (\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{a}) \times \mathbf{b} = 0
    + Cartesian

I don't know how I didn't spot it:facepalm:

Thank you for the explanation though, I appreciate the time you put in :yy:

By the way the lambda says the b is a mulitple of r-a :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)
    Yeah I literally looked in by book to see that its \mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{b} = \mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b}

I must have been very tired when I wrote my notes, my bad :laugh:

My notes literally say:

Three forms of a straight line;
    \mathbf{r}  = \mathbf{a} + t\mathbf{b}
    (\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{a}) \times \mathbf{b} = 0

I don't know how I didn't spot it:facepalm:

Thank you for the explanation though, I appreciate the time you put in :yy:

By the way the lambda says the b is a mulitple of r-a :woo:
    Yep! Bang on - hope the question makes more sense now.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.