Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    :shot:
    I.. I didn't mean it in that way - Honest :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    I.. I didn't mean it in that way - Honest :cry2:
    I'm not saying you meant it in a bad way. It makes a lot of sense, to be fair. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying you meant it in a bad way. It makes a lot of sense, to be fair. :yep:
    To be honest if my silly school didn't hide the fact that AFM existed, I'd have probably gone with that as a 5th

ReputationRep:
    To be honest if my silly school didn't hide the fact that AFM existed, I'd have probably gone with that as a 5th
    Even I wouldn't go for that. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Even I wouldn't go for that. :rofl:
    Yes you would have.. Join the dark side! It has cookies :cookie:

ReputationRep:
    Additional Further Maths is for the clever people ...
    Not even Zacken could have done it ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Correct me if I'm wrong but is AFM any remaining modules missed from Maths+F.maths A level for example S4/M4/M5 etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    Correct me if I'm wrong but is AFM any remaining modules missed from Maths+F.maths A level for example S4/M4/M5 etc.
    I believe so. 18 modules total in A level, 6 in each.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    it is

(Original post by TeeEm)
    Anyone taking Maths and Further Maths are considered smart over here, never mind Additional Further Maths.

Is it even offered in the UK or is it just an international thing?

Ooh yeah - that's what many people at ours do! I think about 15/100 kids in our sixth form are on 5 A2s at the moment! I think that's more the case in the UK with the three subjects. I reckon applying to the US (which has been a big goal of mine for a while) makes 4/5 subjects more worthwhile simply due to the competitiveness - I definitely agree 3 is good for the UK.

Nice one! Have you received all your decisions yet, or even firmed/insured? I agree! Part of why I took German was to broaden my field - I felt restricted with the other 3 subjects being STEM.
    Which US uni's are you considering? I'm assuming it's the top ones but which ones in particular?

Yep, got offers from all that I applied to. Still debating what to put as my firm/insurance choice. Don't want to say much more on that though, I don't want to jinx it

Oh I didn't take Lit to "broaden my field" as you put it, I just love the subject and everything about it. If I wasn't so invested in Maths, there's a chance I would do a Lit/Journalism degree. Apparently it's weird for FM students to enjoy English and be good at it according to my teachers at sixth form. Something about using two different parts of the brain...(I think)

ReputationRep:
    Hey could one of yall give me some tips on C4 integration. Just for the substitution part how can you tell when you need to let x=a trig function?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joodaa)
    Hey could one of yall give me some tips on C4 integration. Just for the substitution part how can you tell when you need to let x=a trig function?
    You'll usually be told in the question which sub to use. But basically, when you see things like 1-square under square roots or things that clean up nicely and look like trig identities, that's when a sub x= trig is useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoseGatz)
    Anyone taking Maths and Further Maths are considered smart over here, never mind Additional Further Maths.

Which US uni's are you considering? I'm assuming it's the top ones but which ones in particular?

Yep, got offers from all that I applied to. Still debating what to put as my firm/insurance choice. Don't want to say much more on that though, I don't want to jinx it

Oh I didn't take Lit to "broaden my field" as you put it, I just love the subject and everything about it. If I wasn't so invested in Maths, there's a chance I would do a Lit/Journalism degree. Apparently it's weird for FM students to enjoy English and be good at it according to my teachers at sixth form. Something about using two different parts of the brain...(I think)
    It's offered everywhere that wants to offer it. Often people self study it as it's hard for departments to organise 3 maths lessons for M, FM and AFM in a day.

Thus far I've applied to Stanford, Princeton and Cornell - yet to hear from them

Congratulations :woo: Aww can't we know which ones? :cry2:

Fair enough Yeah I'm told the same with German! Although I just enjoy it so :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoseGatz)

It's actually the other way around - it's offered more in the UK than it is internationally, the IAL exam board doesn't even have the option of doing AFM.

ReputationRep:
    You'll usually be told in the question which sub to use. But basically, when you see things like 1-square under square roots or things that clean up nicely and look like trig identities, that's when a sub x= trig is useful.
    Hmm interesting I'll give that a try today then thanks lad

It's offered everywhere that wants to offer it. Often people self study it as it's hard for departments to organise 3 maths lessons for M, FM and AFM in a day.

Thus far I've applied to Stanford, Princeton and Cornell - yet to hear from them

Congratulations :woo: Aww can't we know which ones? :cry2:

Fair enough Yeah I'm told the same with German! Although I just enjoy it so :dontknow:
    Logistically that makes sense. How many people are in your biggest class at the moment? I was thinking about this the other day, if you're taking 5 A2 classes how is your timetable structured? Does your day start early and finish later than over here?

Those are great uni's. Good luck! Let me know when you get your offers through.

Thanks. I think my main one is obvious, it's a shame my parents aren't too keen on it, plus you won't have heard of the other uni's I've applied to anyway. They're fairly local to me.

People just think that those who do FM are trying to get away from writing and whilst this is true for some, it really isn't the same for others. I was planning on taking GCSE German but alas my high school didn't offer it so I was stuck with French. To be honest I prefer the listening and reading side of learning a language, I'm not so fond of speaking or writing element.

Zacken Really?:confused: Nobody really mentions it over here... not that I've noticed anyway. I'm guessing private/grammar schools encourage it more than most state schools, that's why I've never noticed.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm interesting I'll give that a try today then thanks lad
    How'd it go?

ReputationRep:
    How'd it go?
    Much better thanks I tried a couple today and it worked like a charm I've been meaning to ask for some help on a couple parametric differentiation questions if that's alright?

ReputationRep:
    Much better thanks I tried a couple today and it worked like a charm I've been meaning to ask for some help on a couple parametric differentiation questions if that's alright?
    Great! Most certainly, glad to help, shoot. What questions do you have?

ReputationRep:
    Great! Most certainly, glad to help, shoot. What questions do you have?
    Nice Nice hmm It wont let me attatch a photo of the questions. Well basically I'm not sure how to approach questions where you're given the parametric equations and you have to find tangents to the curve without them giving you a specific point on the curve to use.

1.A hyperbola has parametric equations x=secθ, y=tanθ Prove dy/dx is cosecθ and find the equations of the two tangents to the curve which are parallel to the y axis.I was able to prove that it made cosecθ but not sure how to do the last part.

2.An asteroid has parametric equations x=4cos^3θ,y=4sin^3θ. Prove dy/dx is -tanθ and find the equations of the four tangents to the asteroid which are equally inclined at 45 degrees to both axes.Again I was able to prove the differentiation but dont know how to find the tangents.Thanks in advance ladd

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.