Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xsashax)
    Sorry but I haven't even heard of ozone lysis, which board is this for??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its from ocr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xsashax)
    Sorry but I haven't even heard of ozone lysis, which board is this for??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not something we learn, but rather than application based question.

ReputationRep:
    It's an OCR A application question. June 2014 paper F324

ReputationRep:
    Did the f324 2015 nmr question and ALMOST got it ah

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AqsaMx)
    Anyone able to explain the ozone lysis of the second one? Thank you!

Attachment 531471
    for hexa-2,4-diene, it has structural formula of CH3CHCHCHCHCH3, so CH3-CH=CH-CH=CH-CH3,

so the products would be (CH3)CH=O + O=CH-CH=O + O=CH(CH3),

as the C=C double bonds become C=O, for both carbons in the C=C double bond

ReputationRep:
    Jan 2013 F325 is so bloody hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AqsaMx)
    It's an OCR A application question. June 2014 paper F324
    Oh okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    Did the f324 2015 nmr question and ALMOST got it ah

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really? Wow that's impressive. I have my mock next week so I guess I'll have to wait. However, seeing the statements on here and the fact that it was featured on bbc news, certainly does not excite me for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mil88)
    Really? Wow that's impressive. I have my mock next week so I guess I'll have to wait. However, seeing the statements on here and the fact that it was featured on bbc news, certainly does not excite me for it.
    I sat the exam last year in the summer. I think I got around 5/7 for the working out but not the right structure. I walked out thinking that question was really hard but looking back on it like 5 minutes ago it isn't too bad.
    The timing is the biggest stress. If you can nail down the rest of the paper and leave yourself with a good 15-20 minutes for NMR then you should be ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mil88)
    I recommend practicing A LOT of nmr questions. At first I was like Whattttt but read the question carefully!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thad33)
    I sat the exam last year in the summer. I think I got around 5/7 for the working out but not the right structure. I walked out thinking that question was really hard but looking back on it like 5 minutes ago it isn't too bad.
    The timing is the biggest stress. If you can nail down the rest of the paper and leave yourself with a good 15-20 minutes for NMR then you should be ok.
    Fair enough, but I heard that the biggest issue was time. So I'm not sure how I'm going to have 15-20 mins left over for that question, when apparently loads of questions were application based, and thus take longer to answer?

ReputationRep:
    atm timing is one of my biggest issue with chem!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Putting the structure together in NMR questions is the hardest bit , in the end if you get everything right describing the splitting and stuff you will get marks , its like 2 marks or 1 for identifying the whole stucture , always struggling with that 😢

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mil88)
    Fair enough, but I heard that the biggest issue was time. So I'm not sure how I'm going to have 15-20 mins left over for that question, when apparently loads of questions were application based, and thus take longer to answer?
    I can't really remember much of the exam as I was so stressed but I do remember taking ages on a lot of questions. You really need to know the fundamentals to understand what the question was asking

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done any AQA papers as extra practice? I find them so much easier, it's so unfair! Wish my school did AQA rather than OCR. :unimpressed:

Honestly, OCR has much more application questions in novel contexts and the questions themselves (and the mark schemes), are much more unforgiving. Oh yeah, and timing is less of an issue for me on AQA papers.

I hope I'm not the only one who feels the same way (FWIW, my teacher also thinks the same too and wonders why my school never chose AQA).

I guess the only thing OCR has going for it over AQA is the practical, but they make up the minority of the UMS anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Help!
    Q is C18H9NO4

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  441.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kralamoonard)
    Has anyone done any AQA papers as extra practice? I find them so much easier, it's so unfair! Wish my school did AQA rather than OCR. :unimpressed:

Honestly, OCR has much more application questions in novel contexts and the questions themselves (and the mark schemes), are much more unforgiving. Oh yeah, and timing is less of an issue for me on AQA papers.

I hope I'm not the only one who feels the same way (FWIW, my teacher also thinks the same too and wonders why my school never chose AQA).

I guess the only thing OCR has going for it over AQA is the practical, but they make up the minority of the UMS anyway.
    I really agree! I did them too for practice, AQA is so much easier! Their redox titration questions are wayyyy easier than what we get!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any tough titration questions? Need the practice :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mil88)
    I did the mock a few months ago and the NMR question is definitely not that bad, if you have time. Tbh don't know why people complained to the bbc last year about the question not being on the spec as you didn't need to even know this particular question beforehand as you could work it out from the information given
    The whole paper is just terrible on timing that nobody doing chemsitry A2 finished with time left to even check back answers in that paper.
    OCR were quite ridiculous last year as it was toooo pushed for time considering the difficulty of the whole paper that was really the only issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcameron)
    I did the mock a few months ago and the NMR question is definitely not that bad, if you have time. Tbh don't know why people complained to the bbc last year about the question not being on the spec as you didn't need to even know this particular question beforehand as you could work it out from the information given
    The whole paper is just terrible on timing that nobody doing chemsitry A2 finished with time left to even check back answers in that paper.
    OCR were quite ridiculous last year as it was toooo pushed for time considering the difficulty of the whole paper that was really the only issue.
    I completely agree with this, I did the paper again without timed conditions and managed a high A, just in the exam with the pressure of getting into uni and all the unfamiliar content on the paper it seemed impossible. Really hope they don't throw something that hard again

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.