(Original post by Kay_Winters)
    How does the bar have 12 pages already?
    We just love a good natter.

ReputationRep:
    typical politicians loving the sound of their own voices
    I'm rather fond of my voice TBH.

ReputationRep:
    Decided to retire the Benn avatar for a while.

And that is true, we do love a natter

ReputationRep:
    Decided to retire the Benn avatar for a while.

And that is true, we do love a natter
    Is that a Powerpuff Girl?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    Is that a Powerpuff Girl?
    yup

https://www.powerpuffyourself.com/#!/en

ReputationRep:
    OMG, I loved those as a child!

ReputationRep:
    The news today is Cafe Nero is cutting staff benefits to cover the large increase in minimum wage, one of the benefits to go is the free lunch forcing staff members to use the extra pay to buy lunch. Large increases in the national minimum wage in a short space of time do not boost workers, it drags workers down when workers' perks are cut, fewer jobs are available, and overtime pay is reducing making staff worse off in some cases.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Is anyone going to watch the Grand National today?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    How does the bar have 12 pages already?
    It always starts fast

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    OMG, I loved those as a child!
    Same :love:

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    The news today is Cafe Nero is cutting staff benefits to cover the large increase in minimum wage, one of the benefits to go is the free lunch forcing staff members to use the extra pay to buy lunch. Large increases in the national minimum wage in a short space of time do not boost workers, it drags workers down when workers' perks are cut, fewer jobs are available, and overtime pay is reducing making staff worse off in some cases.
    The workers are seeing their discount drop from 100% to 65%, a fall of 35%, and this will only impact those who eat at cafe nero, instead of bringing lunch in, or eating elsewhere during their break. My point being I feel you are being disingenuous with how you are putting your point across

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It always starts fast

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True enough yeah.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Cafe Nero is just one example, I can easily give a conflicting example of the John Lewis Partnership giving pay rises to everyone regardless of age and giving a higher than expected annual bonus. I feel it's more that they used the NLW as an excuse to save more money rather than the NLW was the complete reason.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Oh look ! We have aggressive left Wing activists outside downing street demanding the resignation of Mr Cameron ...... They are wasting their time

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't possibly cut, I don't know, their senior directors' pay, to afford the increase, could they. Typical capitalists. I'm not familiar with Cafe Nero's finances but I would bet that if it was nationalised and pay made fair they would be able to afford it without significantly cutting staff perks.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    Cafe Nero is just one example, I can easily give a conflicting example of the John Lewis Partnership giving pay rises to everyone regardless of age and giving a higher than expected annual bonus. I feel it's more that they used the NLW as an excuse to save more money rather than the NLW was the complete reason.
    Except JL works on an ENTIRELY different business structure

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Oh look ! We have aggressive left Wing activists outside downing street demanding the resignation of Mr Cameron ...... They are wasting their time
    Wow, so people exercising their right to freedom of speech and assembly in order to dissent against the actions of a senior member of the government is 'aggressive' now. I can see the direction the UK's going in, and I don't like it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    And that's why having a NLW is fundamentally bad idea .... Many businesses cant afford it ..

ReputationRep:
    Thats just them being stingy, the policy will be uturned when their staff all end up leaving to work somewhere else.

You can be against the minimum wage, but thwn again you probably havent even met anyone earning it. The free market is incredubly flawed in that work=!a decent standard of living. One could be working 40 hours a week on the minimum wage yet end uphomeless through unaffordable rents.

The minimum wage provides that decent standard of living for people not from the taxpayer but from the so-called wealth creators. This means that when the wealth creators are creating more wealth, more is being trickled down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Thats just them being stingy, the policy will be uturned when their staff all end up leaving to work somewhere else.

You can be against the minimum wage, but thwn again you probably havent even met anyone earning it. The free market is incredubly flawed in that work=!a decent standard of living. One could be working 40 hours a week on the minimum wage yet end uphomeless through unaffordable rents.

The minimum wage provides that decent standard of living for people not from the taxpayer but from the so-called wealth creators. This means that when the wealth creators are creating more wealth, more is being trickled down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, so you still don't consider knock on effects, would you like to remind me what happens to prices when you increase costs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.