Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Muslims - Will you fast during exam period? Exam clash with Ramadan watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't think people should since hydrations leads to not thinking properly, not a good idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessZara)
    Don't think people should since hydrations leads to not thinking properly, not a good idea
    proper preparation at suhoor will prevent any dehydration that would prevent someone from sitting still in an exam hall, they aren't footballers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by safiyyah98)
    You have twisted my words so much in this little essay that I can't even be arsed to acknowledge all of your misinterpretations. I'm still waiting for evidence from the Quran/Hadith that says you have to fast during exams and/or that its not a valid reason????
    I gave you website links but you didn't wanna click on them because you're scared of being proven wrong. There's a set pre-defined list given by Allah of when you cannot fast. This is the last time I'm giving you the links. If you choose not to read them again, it's not my fault.

This link is actually more specific and more related to your situation, dude. Tell me your thoughts after reading this.

https://islamqa.info/en/60296

I hope you understand now!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Note how they say that there is consensus on this issue. That means that there are NO other valid opinions.

ReputationRep:
    Please can you provide a quote from the Quran/hadith where it says its haraam to miss a fast when having an exam?
    Exams are not going to be put in the Quran/hadith, you have been provided with enough evidence as it is by scholars.
    I would appreciate it if you didn't quote me again on this matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessZara)
    Yeah, you're right; dehydration does affect us to a certain extent but I've always had enough water and electrolyes in the meal before I begin fasting (we call this meal "suhoor") and I've always done well in my exams. It is still hard but we get used to it

ReputationRep:
    According to Islam a girl should start fasting when she hits maturity aka periods. Many girls start this from around 9/10 years old, do you think it's logical for a 9/10 year old to fast for 30 days with only few non daylight hours ?

See It's all common sense, Gods given us freewill and brain to think with if it's not logical and practical surely He'll understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OwaisB)
    According to Islam a girl should start fasting when she hits maturity aka periods. Many girls start this from around 9/10 years old, do you think it's logical for a 9/10 year old to fast for 30 days with only few non daylight hours ?

See It's all common sense, Gods given us freewill and brain to think with if it's not logical and practical surely He'll understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you want to abandon an islamic fundamental go ahead, mate. But don't turn around and call it halaal without evidence. Allah made it obligatory on boys and girls after puberty to fast and pray and He did not give any excuses except the following (https://islamqa.info/en/23296). There are no other valid excuses.

Are you calling Allah illogical? Or are you saying that Allah didn't know that some Ramadans will have little daylight hours? Because Allah didn't make an excuse for young boys and girls to not fast in these harder conditions.

This is what happens when you speak of Islamic matters with no knowledge. Islam is not "what you make of it". It is set and pre-defined. If you wanna make your own rules, go follow another religion. But if it is Islam that you are following, your limits are set by Allah and Muhammed (peace and prayers upon him).

I seriously don't get people like you who wanna change haraam to halaal whenever it suits you.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why you're twisting my words mate, I'm giving my opinion I never said God is illogical I never said it is halal or haram, I just have my opinion based on my experiences and judgements and I'm expressing them
    I'm not 'changing halal and haram as it suits me' I'm not advising anyone to follow me and that each of us should make our own decisions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why you're twisting my words mate, I'm giving my opinion I never said God is illogical I never said it is halal or haram, I just have my opinion based on my experiences and judgements and I'm expressing them
    I'm not 'changing halal and haram as it suits me' I'm not advising anyone to follow me and that each of us should make our own decisions

Posted from TSR Mobile
    People who don't have knowledge aren't allowed to have islamic opinions.
    You did change haram to halal.

You said that it's illogical for a young kid to fast such hours so Allah will allow them to be excused. (halal)
    But Allah never allowed such circumstances so it's still evidently haram.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butternuts96)
    People who don't have knowledge aren't allowed to have islamic opinions.
    You did change haram to halal.

You said that it's illogical for a young kid to fast such hours so Allah will allow them to be excused. (halal)
    But Allah never allowed such circumstances so it's still evidently haram.
    Please show me where I changed halal to haram?

I never said Allah WILL allow them to be excused, this is what I mean by twisting my words mate, I said t makes sense for them not too in MY opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Please show me where I changed halal to haram?

I never said Allah WILL allow them to be excused, this is what I mean by twisting my words mate, I said t makes sense for them not too in MY opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's my point mate. Your opinion holds no weight. Islamic opinion's come from Quranic evidences. If you say your personal opinion that something's halal when Allah has certified it haram . . . are they not contradicting?

This is what happens when people of no knowledge speak their opinions about Islam.

If you're gonna share your opinion on something outside of Islam, fair dos. I'll let you keep your opinion. But if you have an opinion contradictory to Islam, I gotta butt in and stop you right there. Don't take offence, bro; I didn't mean it at all. I just wanted to state the facts for yourself and anyone else reading this thread.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna fast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roofas)
    Bigot, definition "a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions."

Take another look at what you just wrote out and have a think to yourself.
    But wouldn't that make you a bigot yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Please can you provide a quote from the Quran/hadith where it says its haraam to miss a fast when having an exam?
    God commanded us to fast during Ramadan and if we do it properly then God will reward us for the discomfort we have put ourselves through i.e. not eating and less sleep.
    (don't think for a moment that means we don't have to revise)

The only time we don't have to fast is if someone has an illness or if you are going to travel a significant distance (a 20 minute walk to school doesn't count) that it will lead to a significant decline in your health if yo do fast.
    This is Allah's/God's law.

N.B: Don't forget fasting isn't just about not eating/ drinking, its about strengthening your dean.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not gonna it's not worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Indoctrination drives people to crazy levels.

ReputationRep:
    Its not a claim, don't be a ***** about my uncle mate, I obviously don't know as much as he does but I'm sure he could explain it better than me. I will ask him to form a response and I will send it you.

Even if the last one was in context, it says if you bear any difficulties and I consider fasting whilst doing an exam a difficulty therefore it is valid.

Ok haraam police but where is your evidence that its haraam to miss a fast when you have exams? Claiming something is haraam without evidence is haraam in itself! It may just be makruh, meaning it is frowned upon. And i don't need a well done from you even if I do decide to fast, its none of your business.

FYI its not a 'pathetic excuse' it is a genuine reason since many students in the UK have fainted whilst fasting in school, not even during exams! When non muslims hear about this stuff, no wonder they think Islam is difficult! We make it difficult for ourselves when in reality its so simple! Allah does not want us to be burdened with fasting, Ramadan is a month of blessing, so why torture yourself if you know you can't cope?!
    Whilst you may find it difficult, it is not unbearable, therefore it doesn't come under this ruling. An example of unbearable difficulty would be if you had diabetes and fasting would cause you harm. It is only permissible to break your fast in case of illness, not because you fear you might not perform as well in an exam, or because of a headache.

You are also advising others that it is halal to miss a fast if you have an exam. The most respected scholars are of the opinion that it is haram to do so. Shaykh ibn Baaz was asked about this matter:

"It is not permissible for an adult of sound mind to break the fast during Ramadaan because of exams, because that is not one of the excuses permitted in Islam. Rather he has to fast and do his studying at night if it is hard for him to do it during the day."

Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 4/223.

There is your evidence

Like you said, Ramadan is a blessed month. Fasting should not be called a "burden". Whilst exams are important, they should not be prioritised. Think of your life on earth as an exam for getting into jannah, inshaAllah. The exams you take for school won't be important on the Day of Judgement, whereas fasting during Ramadan (one of the pillars of Islam!) will definitely be in your favour.

I suggest you think this through.

ReputationRep:
    I will be fasting for sure Insha'Allah ... whats fardh is fardh, if an individual is not gonna fast don't justify by using some next fatwas.. its unanimously agreed that its fardh unless you are sick or traveling otherwise you have to do kaffarah for it

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind Islamic individuals, but I'm not fond of the religion. Good luck to all fasting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butternuts96)
    Yeah, you're right; dehydration does affect us to a certain extent but I've always had enough water and electrolyes in the meal before I begin fasting (we call this meal "suhoor" and I've always done well in my exams. It is still hard but we get used to it
    oh okay

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.