Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

You cannot choose to be from a country; hence it is pointless being patriotic. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeroline1999)
    I think the closet racist thing is really unfair. Nationalism is basically closet (or not so much depending on its extent) racism but not patriotism. There are plenty of non-white British people who are proud to be British.
    Yeah I think you're right; that was unnecessarily prejudiced of me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not_lucas1)
    I don't know what the weather has been like near you but i can tell you that we dont have a cold winter, we have a cold year. Most of the time it's freezing in England and often rains, we lack warmth and when it snows, its petty. We defo lack behind countries such as America, they get most new technologies weeks before us
    Firstly, it isn't the 1960s anymore, America is no longer more technologically advanced than Britain/ Europe. If anything America lags behind us. Having films released a couple weeks early is inconsequential as well. If you had said Japan than that would have been a fair point. But there is no genuine difference between the technology we and America have, except for stupid licensing meaning we get less stuff on netflix. But tbh, its only the US film makers losing out anyway thanks to online streaming.

I live in the South. Maybe you live further up North, but in the South theres a nice mix of cold, hot, wet, sunny, snow etc.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, it isn't the 1960s anymore, America is no longer more technologically advanced than Britain/ Europe. If anything America lags behind us. Having films released a couple weeks early is inconsequential as well. If you had said Japan than that would have been a fair point. But there is no genuine difference between the technology we and America have, except for stupid licensing meaning we get less stuff on netflix. But tbh, its only the US film makers losing out anyway thanks to online streaming.

I live in the South. Maybe you live further up North, but in the South theres a nice mix of cold, hot, wet, sunny, snow etc.
    yeh i live up north, and its shite

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Youngmetro)
    A boring country with a bland culture to show for it.
    Incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    yeh i live up north, and its shite
    Fair enough. I'd hate Britain if I lived up North too. Maybe you should move down South instead.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. I'd hate Britain if I lived up North too. Maybe you should move down South instead.
    yeh but the south is full of southerners

ReputationRep:
    yeh but the south is full of southerners
    Honestly you'd be surprised, it really mostly isn't. Its mostly full of Europeans, Indians, Americans, Northerners, Scots, etc etc etc. In fact I've lived here all my life, I don't think I know one person who is genuinely from the South. Of course everyone speaks like they are but they aren't.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think being patriotic is about appreciating the culture of the society you were born in. For places like the UK and America it might not seem important about where we were born but some people believe they should celebrate the fact that they were born in their country (e.g. UK people appreciate free healthcare) or they love to share their culture (for example if your country is stereotypically good at something or makes a particular delicacy some people may like to share that culture and express it) and that's why some people may identify as a patriot whereas other people believe that being a patriot shows you embody all the views of your particular society and that can lead you to being a slight "closet racist" xx

ReputationRep:
    Stop being mean to Britain

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.