Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawliettt)
    Learning maths = little creativity (and difficulty if you're being relative)
    Applying maths = slightly more

Longer version:

I don't know where the everyone on TSR got the idea that a normal Comp sci course is insanely maths intensive but it's not true (unless you're specifically applying for computational mathematics).The area in comp sci that requires creativity is programming.

The areas in physics that require creativity are theory, dissertations and using maths we know to understand new real world concepts.

None of these things are present in pure maths. And I'm talking about university level. You're literally taught maths by doing tedious yet similar questions over and over again. Of course the questions get harder and new concepts are brought in. But how you approach the subject stays the same. By being repetitive. Unlike with humanities where hardly any of their course has objective answers.

Mathematics also has one of the highest pass rates in the UK. I recall reading a stat the other day saying roughly 84% of maths graduates get at least a 2:1. And I know at A level it has one of the highest proportion of A*s per candidate. Of course this doesn't factor in people who drop out. But what it demonstrates is those who are hardworking enough to finish the course and do enough questions will do well. The humanities do significantly worse (I think it was around 65%? I'll try and find the link) since it's harder to do well in them.
    Mate you're embarrassing yourself. From the sounds of it you haven't done a decent pure maths course at university standard in your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsrsarahhhh)
    What a boring world we would live in if everybody did stem, no artists, no writers etc. Also OP do you expect people who don't have an interest/ aptitude for STEM to not bother getting a degree, not bother actually doing something they enjoy.
    Ofc not. Im not saying its not worth getting a non STEM degree. Preference should be the sole decision making factor here. That said, the point i wanted to make was that STEM degrees are of greater caliber than of non STEM degrees. For example, a world if everyone did non STEM would not work at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broscientist)
    This has nothing to do with the difficulty of a subject and everything to do with the OBJECTIVE nature of the subject.
    You're missing my point. Humanities being subjective is what makes them more difficult than maths which is objective. Something reflected upon in course pass rates

ReputationRep:
    You're missing my point. Humanities being subjective is what makes them more difficult than maths which is objective. Something reflected upon in course pass rates
    You're actually deluded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    Mate you're embarrassing yourself. From the sounds of it you haven't done a decent pure maths course at university standard in your life.
    Clearly you're the one that haven't lol. I can tell you're in sixth form just from that. Pure maths has very little creativity. That's not me insulting the subject, it's just how it is. Humanities on the other hand thrives in creativity.

It's only when you apply maths that you get to be creative (e.g in physics or engineering). But studying only maths/accounting? Nope.

Don't know why so many people are getting butthurt over this
    (Original post by Mr Moon Man)
    You're actually deluded
    I love it when people who genuinely don't know what they're talking about reply to me lol. Judging from the fact that you haven't made a single point all thread, I'll just assume you're a troll account and stop replying to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Moon Man)
    You're actually deluded
    I love it when people who genuinely don't know what they're talking about reply to me lol. Judging from the fact that you haven't made a single point all thread, I'll just assume you're a troll account and stop replying to you

ReputationRep:
    Maths>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>e very other degree

jk
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearly you're the one that haven't lol. I can tell you're in sixth form just from that. Pure maths has very little creativity. That's not me insulting the subject, it's just how it is. Humanities on the other hand thrives in creativity.

It's only when you apply maths that you get to be creative (e.g in physics or engineering). But studying only maths/accounting? Nope.

Don't know why so many people are getting butthurt over this
    You're pretty terrible at 'telling' things, quite evident from anyone who's spoken to you.. DJMayes is at Cam, doing Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Clearly you're the one that haven't lol. I can tell you're in sixth form just from that.
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    You're pretty terrible at 'telling' things, quite evident from anyone who's spoken to you.. DJMayes is at Cam, doing Maths
    I love it when people who genuinely don't know what they're talking about reply to me lol.
    Preach bro.

ReputationRep:
    Preach bro.
    Hows maths at cambridge? Is it true only 20% get a 2:1 (dont mean to sound like a ****)?

Preach bro.
    Further, how would you characterise the creativity of mathematics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolatmaths)
    Hows maths at cambridge? Is it true only 20% get a 2:1 (dont mean to sound like a ****)?
    Enjoyable. Hard but rewarding. I think that's false - from what I remember I think it's something like 30% 1st, 40% 2:1, 30% 2:2 and 10% 3rd. 2:1 is certainly the most common grade.

Not sure how you sound like a **** here.

(Original post by BizzStrut)
    Further, how would you characterise the creativity of mathematics?
    I think it's very creative. Of the many questions I've done since I've got here there are few I would characterise as tedious and many which require quite a bit of mental gymnastics and some original thought you don't get taught in the lectures. Certainly I don't view my degree as an algorithm. Moreover I have the experience of seeing 10 people come up with 10 completely different solutions to the same problem, each with their own unique flavour and drawing on some area of maths.

Maths has plenty of room for creativity once you get past the "differentiate this formula" that most students here have not been exposed to more than.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STEMisSuperior.)
    Look at all my posts as well as posts from other users. Links have been given to objectively justify my points.

try again.
    I don't particularly want to read all of your posts in this thread! I contend that we can tell your point is vacuous a priori: whether or not something is superior is subjective by definition. You can pick all the criteria that you like and cherry pick the evidence to make STEM come out on top, but that doesn't make the criteria you've selected to quantify 'superiority' any less subjective.

If you'd studied something that required a little more critical thought (a humanity, perhaps?) you might have realised your folly before posting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    I don't particularly want to read all of your posts in this thread!
    Ignorance is bliss.

ReputationRep:
    Ignorance is bliss.
    i guess you would know

ohhhhhhhhhh #rekt #STEMstudentowned #gotswag #getonmylevelson

But seriously your point really is entirely vacuous. Once you pick a quantifiable scale of 'betterness', there certainly are ways to identify what is objectively better than what according to that scale. But you still haven't shown that any thing is objectively better because choosing that scale to define 'betterness' was completely subjective!

ReputationRep:
    i guess you would know

ohhhhhhhhhh #rekt #STEMstudentowned #gotswag #getonmylevelson

But seriously your point really is entirely vacuous. Once you pick a quantifiable scale of 'betterness', there certainly are ways to identify what is objectively better than what according to that scale. But you still haven't shown that any thing is objectively better because choosing that scale to define 'betterness' was completely subjective!
    As i said, ive posted links on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    As i said, ive posted links on this thread.
    Links can't magically make the subjective objective, no matter how many you post.

ReputationRep:
    Links can't magically make the subjective objective, no matter how many you post.
    But STEM students do get paid more. They do have greater career prospects. Tell me which of the criteria were subjective.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You're still here??

ReputationRep:
    This is still ongoing omg

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.